A-Z of Sauces | Vital Football

A-Z of Sauces

C Curry sauce - sold with fish and chips in Brinsworth and elsewhere . Can you buy that type in the supermarkets? Never bought any supermarket curry sauce that tasted the same.

C Curry sauce - sold with fish and chips in Brinsworth and elsewhere . Can you buy that type in the supermarkets? Never bought any supermarket curry sauce that tasted the same.
Mike, now you've hit on one of life's great mysteries. The best powder I have tried is Tongmasters Chip Shop Curry Sauce.

Alternative C - Chilli & Garlic Sauce. Again, a wide variety. Some too sweet for me and some too mild. I think I liked Huy Fong quite a bit but now I make my own.

D Demi-Glace - a French brown sauce - very rich, used with beef
Oh goodness, that sounds lip-smackingly good. This thread may be a mistake as I'm already searching out chip shop curry sauces and extra hot chilli sauces. I can make my own chilli sauce but there's always too much. Every Autumn I use the plums off my tree for a plum & chilli chutney but I end up with about 30 jars of the stuff!

Alternative "E" ... English mustard. Colman's mustard used to be produced in Carrow, Norwich , fairly near to the Norwich City football ground, and the company sponsored the NCFC team strip for a while. The Colman's company was taken over by Unilever, and I don't think mustard is made there any more. :confused:
-------------------------------------------------------
F French mustard - got some from Tesco, but generally prefer English mustard

Last edited:
Alternative "E" ... English mustard
-------------------------------------------------------
F French mustard - got some, but generally prefer English mustard
My wife used to get Dijon mustard which was browner than English and not really my taste. I like English and Aldi do a poor man's Colmans by Bramwells which is spot on.

I'm a big sauce fan - love most of them!

G Gravy - though I feel it's more of an accompaniment that a sauce but if you go to some restaurants it always says with 'gravy sauce'.

My Mum used to make it the 'proper way' with gravy browning and juices from the joint - me, I'm back to the just adding water sort!

I'm a big sauce fan - love most of them!

G Gravy - though I feel it's more of an accompaniment that a sauce but if you go to some restaurants it always says with 'gravy sauce'.

My Mum used to make it the 'proper way' with gravy browning and juices from the joint - me, I'm back to the just adding water sort!
My wife's (twin) sister lives with us and she always does the gravy 'the proper way'. But with chicken she adds Cranberry sauce which makes it a bit sweet for me but I just keep quiet and eat it!

H - HP sauce. All time classic brown sauce, from Heinz. Has the Houses of Parliament on the label. Heinz also produce other flavours of HP sauces, in additional to the "Original".

Last edited:
Alternatives -
F -Fish Sauce. Widely used in Asia but never fancied it.
G - Garlic Sauce. Quite a few varieties around the world and I like all those I've tried.
H - Horseradish. With beef a match made in Heaven. Again, Aldi sell Bramwells which is excellent. Booths sell one however that tastes like that sandwich spread from the 1960s. Horrid.
H - HP sauce. All time classic brown sauce, from Heinz. Has the Houses of Parliament on the label. Heinz also produce other flavours of HP sauces, in additional to the "Original".
Scrumptious stuff! Love it with chips or a full English.

J Jamaican jerk sauce - for chicken recipes, etc. Usually has very hot chillies in it!
The word "jerk" is derived from the Spanish "charqui", meaning "dried meat", via the English version of the word , "jerky".

Last edited:
K Ketchup though I don't like the stuff much. Interestingly (or not) the term is first mentioned in England as early as 1690 when it was called Catsup and described as a "high East-India sauce" and there are many references in cookery books from the eighteenth century onwards.

Last edited: