A-Z of Sauces | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z of Sauces

M Mayonnaise - "Mayo". Egg-based creamy sauce, eg Hellmanns, Mainly used on salads, but can be used on some cooked food too.

M Mayonnaise - "Mayo". Egg-based creamy sauce, eg Hellmanns, Mainly used on salads, but can be used on some cooked food too.
My wife and her sister are fans of Mayonnaise but I prefer Heinz Salad Cream - the extra vinegar gives it a tartness I like.

N - Normande Sauce. Usually served with seafood and made from fish stock, butter, cream and egg white. I think I have had it served with mussels. Went very well in an Italian seafood restaurant in Colchester with chilled Frascati. Mmmm.

Oh, yum, that sounds lovely.

I've never successfully made lemon sauce
For my preserved lemons I just use washed unwaxed lemons sliced longways into eight. Put a layer of Maldon sea salt in a sterilised Kilner jar, then squash down lemon pieces, then another layer of salt and so on. If needed I top up with lemon juice and leave in fridge for six weeks. It has an intense lemon/salt flavour and goes well in curries etc.

P Pasta sauces- eg from Dolmio - pasta bake, bolognese, etc. Supermarket brands are available too.

Last edited:
Q Quince sauce (or quince-and-apple) - I have had it, but never made it from scratch. Nice with pork chops
I had a quince bush until a few years ago and made my own quince preserve. It's time consuming as the fruit has a large core and tough, thick skin but the flavour is unique and I love it.

Last edited: