A-Z of Sauces | Page 3 | Vital Football

A-Z of Sauces

U - Unagi Sauce. This is traditionally used to coat eels! But it's often used for coating spare ribs or similar. Authentic Unagi is made with Soy Sauce, Mirin (sweet rice wine), Sake and sugar. I just melt a little sugar in a Pale Cream Sherry and whisk with dark Soy Sauce. Well, in truth I don't bother these days and instead get those sachets of Chinese marinades from Aldi - I especially like the Oyster & Spring Onion one.

Last edited:
V Vinaigrette - salad dressing. Oil/vinegar mixture, often with added lemon juice and herbs. I have had it, but never tried making my own.

X - Xato. Widely used in Catalonia. Made from olive oil, garlic, pepper, salt, almonds and hazel nuts whizzed to a smooth paste. Never tried it but sounds yummy.

Y Yogurt Sauce - was offered it in Turkey on sweet and savoury dishes - it's basically just yogurt!

Also I've heard Henderson's Relish being called Yorkshire Relish.

Z - Zigeuner Sauce. A Gypsy sauce from Belgium made with tomato paste, paprika, bell peppers and onions and often served with sausage. Mmmmm!

Well, I enjoyed that and found it useful to. A few things I hadn't come across before and I will definitely try out that Yorkshire Relish!