2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 43 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

If that’s the case then fair enough to the first two but Watson did well for us and carried on doing so. Wanting a move closer to home shouldn’t be sufficient to alienate him and if it was the that reflects poorly on the club rather than the player.

Where has this alienation bollocks come from about Watson?

I spoke to a former player at an U23 game at the back end of the season; if anyone could have a claim for being alienated it would have been him.

At the beginning of last season he was told he would take no part in the season and would not be included in the 25 man squad.

He was injured at the start of the season so he could not go out on loan; he trained regularly, told the Club he was available should there be a spate of injuries and even made himself available for the U23s.

He said he was upset that things had not worked out for him but he loved his time at the Club and had no complaints about how he had been treated.

Professional conduct is a two way street; players who take the piss should not act surprised if they get some back.

Where has this alienation bollocks come from about Watson?

I spoke to a former player at an U23 game at the back end of the season; if anyone could have a claim for being alienated it would have been him.

At the beginning of last season he was told he would take no part in the season and would not be included in the 25 man squad.

He was injured at the start of the season so he could not go out on loan; he trained regularly, told the Club he was available should there be a spate of injuries and even made himself available for the U23s.

He said he was upset that things had not worked out for him but he loved his time at the Club and had no complaints about how he had been treated.

Professional conduct is a two way street; players who take the piss should not act surprised if they get some back.
It was the start of this conversation. McGuane was thanked whereas Sow, Ameobi, Watson and Guedioura weren’t.

From what has been said Sow and Ameobi deserved no send off and Guedioura was a troublemaker at times but I can’t see why we wouldn’t have acknowledged Watson when he left.

The likes of Sow, Ameobi and Watson were never alienated.

Sow effectively went on strike when he found out he was not being retained and Ameobi also downed tools.

That is unprofessional behaviour and has nothing to do with being alienated.

Watson made it clear he wanted to move closer to home.

Riberro? Carvalho?

It was the start of this conversation. McGuane was thanked whereas Sow, Ameobi, Watson and Guedioura weren’t.

From what has been said Sow and Ameobi deserved no send off and Guedioura was a troublemaker at times but I can’t see why we wouldn’t have acknowledged Watson when he left.

McGuane was thanked on the U23 Twitter account which is run by the Academy

Has it been common practice to acknowledge players when they leave?

With the exception of Dawson, I am struggling to think of any other players who were thanked

Might i be alone in not caring a jot when a player leaves the club?

Yes, the career is short and it can be over at any point; but they're professionals doing a job the best way they see fit for himself or his family.

Whether the club thank them afterwards, meh...

McGuane was thanked on the U23 Twitter account which is run by the Academy

Has it been common practice to acknowledge players when they leave?

With the exception of Dawson, I am struggling to think of any other players who were thanked
For me we either do it for all or we do it for none. Either way I am not fussed I was just curious that Watson was being labelled a ‘bad egg’...

Out of curiosity you laid the blame for last season entirely at the door of the players whilst absolving our recruitment, coaching etc. So why do you think they so badly underperformed?

There were a number of reasons the players badly underperformed.

Injuries to key players like Grabban, McKenna, Worrall Lolley, Colback and Freeman loss of confidence and composure affected some players like Christie, Figueriedo, and Ribeiro, some proved not good enough and gave little effort, some downed tools and others became disruptive.

We then had to cope with the upheaval of a change in manager; Hughton came in fighting fires and, on top of that decided the players were not fit enough

I do not absolve recruitment; I have said many times that we will not get it right until we stick with a manager for any length of time - the recruitment at Academy level is excellent because they have continuity, but like all good news, it is conveniently over looked.

And there is nothing wrong with the coaching; when you consider the disruption and limitations in certain areas of the squad, Hughton has done a good job.

For me we either do it for all or we do it for none. Either way I am not fussed I was just curious that Watson was being labelled a ‘bad egg’...

Vital is the only site branding Watson as a bad egg; I think you can safely file this under "absolute bollocks".

I

Injuries to key players like Grabban, McKenna, Worrall Lolley, Colback and Freeman loss of confidence and composure affected some players like Christie, Figueriedo, and Ribeiro, some proved not good enough and gave little effort, some downed tools and others became disruptive.

We then had to cope with the upheaval of a change in manager; Hughton came in fighting fires and, on top of that decided the players were not fit enough

I do not absolve recruitment; I have said many times that we will not get it right until we stick with a manager for any length of time - the recruitment at Academy level is excellent because they have continuity, but like all good news, it is conveniently over looked.

And there is nothing wrong with the coaching; when you consider the disruption and limitations in certain areas of the squad, Hughton has done a good job.
I agree with that and feel that Hughton is the first manager in a long time who will have a really good chance to have a go. Recruitment in particular i am thinking about in particular.

Do you think the pandemic was a factor? It touched all of our lives to some extent.

I

I agree with that and feel that Hughton is the first manager in a long time who will have a really good chance to have a go. Recruitment in particular i am thinking about in particular.

We have had just the one fleeting glimpse of what we could be facing with Hughton, and that was the January window.

We know from that window that he is as aware as anyone where the squad falls down.

I would suspect that whoever we get this window will be heavily Hughton influenced; Chris Brass has a wealth of knowledge of the lower leagues and where all the young talent in the North West is but it will take him a few months to settle in.

We have had just the one fleeting glimpse of what we could be facing with Hughton, and that was the January window.

We know from that window that he is as aware as anyone where the squad falls down.

I would suspect that whoever we get this window will be heavily Hughton influenced; Chris Brass has a wealth of knowledge of the lower leagues and where all the young talent in the North West is but it will take him a few months to settle in.

Notably, we did not spend any money in January - the players brought in were the ones that CH wanted to keep us in the division.

12 players have already departed, no doubt more will follow - hopefully, some of those that Hughton doesn't want.

Hopefully, we manage to keep hold of the ones we want to keep, but we just can't say no or stand in the way when we get offers like we've had in the past for Cash, Burke, Brereton, Britt & Appiah.

Excluding the relegated Prem sides, most clubs will have to wheel & deal and that's where I hope that Hughton's experience, coupled with a change to our recruiting team, may see a more efficient and hopefully, successful strategy.