2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings | Page 34 | Vital Football

2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings

The Times:

H Lloris 7 — S Aurier 5, T Alderweireld 6, E Dier 6, S Reguilón 8 — T Ndombele 5 (H Winks 73min), P Hojbjerg 6 — G Bale 7 (S Bergwijn 83), G Lo Celso 7 (É Lamela 79), S Heung-min 7 — L Moura 6.

The Times:

H Lloris 7 — S Aurier 5, T Alderweireld 6, E Dier 6, S Reguilón 8 — T Ndombele 5 (H Winks 73min), P Hojbjerg 6 — G Bale 7 (S Bergwijn 83), G Lo Celso 7 (É Lamela 79), S Heung-min 7 — L Moura 6.

Thanks Gary. This completes the picture. Ndombele has been rated badly independently of this forum. Aurier too but not quite so severely. Moura was poor but was perhaps not deployed in the right way.

Lloris 9, Aurier 6, Alderweireld 6, Dier 6, Reguilon 7.5, Hojbjerg 7, N’Dombele 7, Lo Celso 6.5, Bale 8, Moura 5, Son 6.5
Winks 6, Lamella 6, Bergwyn 6
Ryan 7.5

Hugo - 8 - Still struggles to vocally organise his men at set pieces.
Aurier - 6 - I guess confirms his poor form has nowt to do with Jose.
Toby - 6.5 - Yep, ageing and overly defensive.
Dier - 6.8 - OK performance. Becoming a Thuddleston replica!
Reggie - 7.2 - Much better, seemed more relaxed.
PEH - 6.5 - Did play slightly higher up, was geeing everyone.
ND - 6.0 - Delves on ball too much and mostly makes short passes.
Lo Celso - 6.6 - Trier. Much more productive than ND.
Son - 6.7 - Grafter but getting crowded out.
Bale - 6.3 - Apart from well taken goal, not energetic enough for the team.
Moura - 5.8 - Very disappointed. Too many dribbling runs,zero output.

Lamela - 4.5 - not really deserving a score
Bergwijn - ditto

Mason - 4.5 - Sorry but not convinced he influenced them much. The lads will have had a chat at half time with Kane screaming at them. Not the personality nor the experience I was wanting to see in an interim role. It's like a 20 handicapper telling 4 handicapper what's wrong with his swing!

At least he stayed on his feet for over 90 mins without an iPad.

Versus City

Lloris 7 - Some very good saves, average distribution. No change there.

Aurier 4 - Started well but game deteriorated under the weight of City pressure until inevitably giving away an unnecessary free kick.

Toby 8 - Almost errorless all afternoon. Probably still our best defender against teams who play it on the ground.

Dier 7 - Really poor pass in the first half that could have led to a goal but recovered well after that. A good pairing with Toby on the day.

Reggie 5.5 - Some of his body positioning when defending is awful. Mahrez pretty much had the beating of him all afternoon. Arguably our best threat going forward.

PEH 7.5 - He has his limitations but I wish some of out players had even 50% of his determination and commitment. A captain's performance for me. The one player who didn't seem to pay City any respect.

Winks 6 - It was a tough afternoon but he stuck at it.

Lo Celso 5 - Dreadful first half but grew into the game in the second half. Baffling substitution and we completely lost momentum going forward when he went off.

Moura 6 - I wouldn't have picked him to start but he was the forward most likely to make things happen. Very unlucky to be substituted.

Kane 4 - City had him where they wanted him all afternoon - outside their penalty area. Totally ineffective.

Son 3 - Gutless performance. Played like a player consumed by his own self-importance. His inclusion in the team now can only be based on form in the first half of the season and what he may do rather than what he is actually doing.

Bale 3.5 - Hardly touched the ball

Sissoko 2 - I have nothing left to say about him

Berg - Too late to make an assessment.

Mason 4 - It's hard to be too tough on him. His substitutions were bewildering though. In the second half we had established a foothold in the game. The players looked like they were starting to believe in themselves. And Lo Celso was starting to influence the game. So what on earth Sissoko was going to bring to the table I have no idea. But it killed any opportunity we had of winning. He had Dele, Ndombele Lamela to choose from. And unless Moura was injured it had to be Son who was hooked.

Last edited:
Sorry, lifted straight from the Telegraph as I couldn't see anything here to disagree with:

Hugo Lloris 7

Kept Spurs in the game in the first half as City set up camp on the edge of his area and attacked with relentless pressure. He was not in any way to blame for the defeat.

Serge Aurier 7

All of the Spurs defence played their part in a heroic stand to prevent City scoring before half-time but could not get into the game offensively.

Toby Alderweireld 7

A valiant effort from the old warhorse but he cannot defy the ageing process. Jose Mourinho knew he would need to be replaced this summer. But have Spurs got the money to do so?

Eric Dier 7

There are plenty of people outside of North London - and indeed some there too - who cannot understand how Dier continues to be picked for England. This was a strong retort, although where were Spurs' centre-backs when Laporte scored from a corner?

Sergio Reguilon 6

Started badly and should have been punished for a loose ball out of defence before Foden hit the post. Not his best game and spent most of it on the edge of his own box.

Harry Winks 6

Stuck to the task even while Spurs were being overrun in the middle and City’s wing-backs pushed high to create the overload. Not his fault but City had better players in midfield and that is where the game was won.

Pierre Hojbjerg 6

Has had a good season following Mourinho-led move from Southampton but is he a player good enough to build a Champions League midfield around? This would suggest not, which is where Spurs are as a club and a team.

Giovani Lo Celso 6

He was OK, which is pretty much all he has been since arriving from Real Betis two years ago. Almost gave Spurs the lead at the start of the second half with a low shot but that was it. He has looked like an almost player far too often.

Lucas Moura 6

It is still a surprise when you watch Moura play that he scored a second-half hat-trick in a Champions League semi-final two years ago. An unlikely hero then, even more so when you see him like this.

Harry Kane 6

Barely got near the ball inside the box let alone touch it as City dominated from start to finish. Forced deeper and deeper to try to receive the ball from a harrassed Spurs midfield, the England captain was powerless to change its outcome .

Son Heung-min 5

So much is needed from the Spurs front two to mask deficiencies elsewhere but City stopped them getting the ball by dominating the midfield battle and halting counter attacks early, by fair means or foul.

Subs: Bale for Lo Celso 67, Sissoko for Moura 67, Alli for Hojbjerg 87, Bergwijn for Aurier 90.

Subs not used: D Sanchez, Lamela, Hart, Tanganga, Ndombele

Booked: Reguilon

Versus City

Lloris 7 - Some very good saves, average distribution. No change there.

Aurier 4 - Started well but game deteriorated under the weight of City pressure until inevitably giving away an unnecessary free kick.

Toby 8 - Almost errorless all afternoon. Probably still our best defender against teams who play it on the ground.

Dier 7 - Really poor pass in the first half that could have led to a goal but recovered well after that. A good pairing with Toby on the day.

Reggie 5.5 - Some of his body positioning when defending is awful. Mahrez pretty much had the beating of him all afternoon. Arguably our best threat going forward.

PEH 7.5 - He has his limitations but I wish some of out players had even 50% of his determination and commitment. A captain's performance for me. The one player who didn't seem to pay City any respect.

Winks 6 - It was a tough afternoon but he stuck at it.

Lo Celso 5 - Dreadful first half but grew into the game in the second half. Baffling substitution and we completely lost momentum going forward when he went off.

Moura 6 - I wouldn't have picked him to start but he was the forward most likely to make things happen. Very unlucky to be substituted.

Kane 4 - City had him where they wanted him all afternoon - outside their penalty area. Totally ineffective.

Son 3 - Gutless performance. Played like a player consumed by his own self-importance. His inclusion in the team now can only be based on form in the first half of the season and what he may do rather than what he is actually doing.

Bale 3.5 - Hardly touched the ball

Sissoko 2 - I have nothing left to say about him

Berg - Too late to make an assessment.

Mason 4 - It's hard to be too tough on him. His substitutions were bewildering though. In the second half we had established a foothold in the game. The players looked like they were starting to believe in themselves. And Lo Celso was starting to influence the game. So what on earth Sissoko was going to bring to the table I have no idea. But it killed any opportunity we had of winning. He had Dele, Ndombele Lamela to choose from. And unless Moura was injured it had to be Son who was hooked.

when he bought Sissoko on, you knew it was all over - terrible mistake, can see what he was trying to do, but he was the wrong player to do it.

What was he trying to do?

All their good work was coming via the middle and was pushing us back, we were playing narrow and he wanted to stop their out ball to the flanks, so Sissoko was supposedly sent on to to press in the middle and hold it as we counter pressed the flanks, which would allow us to push up and play higher, but obviously it didn't work...

All their good work was coming via the middle and was pushing us back, we were playing narrow and he wanted to stop their out ball to the flanks, so Sissoko was supposedly sent on to to press in the middle and hold it as we counter pressed the flanks, which would allow us to push up and play higher, but obviously it didn't work...
That's how I would describe the first half. But in the second half I thought we had more of a grip in the middle and we had reduced if not stopped the ball out to the flanks. At one point Sky flashed up a stat showing both teams had an equal percentage of the ball in their opponents area but the play had largely been congested in the middle. I know once Lo Celso went off any meaningful service to our forwards went with him.

Lloris 8
Aurier 4
Toby 7
Dier 7
Reg 4
Winks 6
PEH 5
Lo Celso 5
Son 1
Moura 3
Kane 4

Bale 2
Berg 0
Dele 3
Sissoko -2

Ryan 10 .... being put in this position with this shower of shite is beyond what his love for the clubdeserves .
What “they “ think he is going to achieve is bewildering .

Lloris 8.5

Aurier 6
Toby 8.5
Dier 8
Reggie 6

Hojbjerg 7
Winks 6
Gio 5.5

Moura 6
Kane 4
Son 3

Sissoko 2
Bale 4
Dele 6
Bergwijn - too late

Mason 5

Well I think you are all being very kind.... Hugo, Toby, Dire aside all IMO were crap...but I would give some credit to Holj & Lucas who at least looked interested

My ratings v City
Hugo 6.5, Aurier 5, Toby 7, Dier 7, Reggie 4, Hojbjerg 7, Winks 5, Loco 6, Moura 7, Son 3, Kane 6, Sissoko 5,Bale 3.
Mason 6.

I have 10 media/ web reports
Reggie and Son have not fared well. I will put them up tomorrow along with the Southampton ratings which I left up the shop.

Average player ratings v Southampton across 8 forum posters and 10 media/ web reports. Media in second column.

Lloris 8, 7.15
Aurier 5.18, 5.90
Toby 6.18, 6.45
Dier 6.68, 6.25
Reggie 6.93, 7.05
Hojbjerg 6.81, 6.55
Ndombele 5.18, 5.45
Loco 6.12, 5.95
Bale 7.37, 7.65
Moura 5.31, 5.85
Son 6.06, 7.10
Winks 5.93, 5.25
Lamela 5.37, 5.25
Berg 4.43, 5
Ryan 6.

v City

Hugo - 8 - Saviour of our blushes
Dier - 7
Toby - 7 - He and Dier turned up.
Aurier - 6 - Overwhelmed by incessant attacks with little support.
Reg - 5 - Nothing at either end of the pitch worthy of note.
PEH - 7.0 - Did his best
Winks -6 - Steady Eddie - needed more than that in this game.
Moura - 6.5 - Usual graft but not much quality around him on the day
Lo Celso - 6.0 - Only came good in 2nd half.
Kane - 4.0 - Pedestrian as if only turned up to take a penalty. Barely entered 18 yd box.
Son - 4.5 - Worst performance of the season. Wasted numerous opps to pass.

Bale - 3.0 - Not much happened to gain free kicks!
Sissoko - 3.0 - Enough said.

Mason - 4.0 - Out of his depth, too close to senior players. Rabbit in headlights.

Last edited:
Average player ratings v City across 6 forum posters and 10 media / web reports. Media in second column

Lloris 7.50, 7.10
Aurier 5.33, 5.50
Toby 7.41, 7.55
Dier 7.10, 7.20
Reggie 5.08, 4.70
Hojbjerg 6.58, 5.90
Winks 5.83, 5.65
Loco 5.58, 5.25
Moura 5.75, 6.25
Kane 4.66, 5.30
Son 3.25, 4.45
Bale 3.08, 4.60
Sissoko 2.83, 4.70
Mason 5.50

Fairly close until it comes to our under performers where the media/ web have been perhaps a little generous.
I did include Critics last minute ratings and amended the average I had already worked out !!

Vs City

Lloris 7.5, Aurier 5.5, Dier 7.5, Alderweireld 8, Reguilon 5, Hojbjerg 5.5, Winks 5, Lo Celso 5, Moura 7, Kane 4, Son 3.5, Bale 3.5, Sissoko 3
Mason 4

- GK, CB's and Moura the only players who take any credit out of the game.
- Reguilon looks nothing like the player who joined us just a few months ago. He clearly has defensive weaknesses, whilst Aurier was just Aurier, an accident waiting to happen.
- Winks selection ahead of Ndombele was odd, smacked of favoritism.
- Not sure how often Lo Celso has to play before the Club recognises that he's pretty bloody average. If he was bought to fill the role vacated by Eriksen, we need to keep looking.
- Kane and Son can't always be excused because of lack of service. In matches like Sunday's they could at least make an effort to involve themselves more.
- Absolutely no point in bringing Bale on for a few minutes at the end of each game, it's insulting, and he looks insulted whilst out there.
- Bringing Sissoko on at that juncture didn't make sense. I'm not going to criticise him, just the guys who keep playing him.
- Mason did a Mourinho. I hoped he'd be a breath of freash air, he's not.

v City

Hugo - 9 - Saviour of our blushes
Dier - 8
Toby - 8 - He and Dier turned up.
Aurier - 2 - Did one thing, gave away that stupid unnecessary free kick
Reg - 5 - Nothing at either end of the pitch worthy of note.
PEH - 7.0 - Did his best
Winks -6 - Steady Eddie - needed more than that in this game.
Moura - 7 - Should have been ,keft ion the pitch cos he tries and we dont have many who did onm the day
Lo Celso - 6.0 - Still dont think he is over that long term injury
Kane - 4.0 - Should have been on the becnh at the start
Son - 2 - Awful did absolutely zero
Bale - 3.0 - No service but still should have started.
Sissoko - 2 - Big boy cant jump or hold his own against Laporte thicko cost us at least any extra time hope

Mason - 5.0 - He must have been told to start Kane,, but he should never have brought on sissoko in a cup final when we had to try and score......................