2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings | Page 20 | Vital Football

2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings

Average player ratings against Stoke across 6 media and 5 forum posters. Media is second column.
Lloris 5.8, 5
Doherty 5.6, 5.33
Sanchez 6.2, 5.66
Dier 6.1, 5.50
Davies 7, 7.16
Hojbjerg 6, 6.83
Winks 7.3, 7.5
Dele 7.3, 7
Bale 5.8, 7
Moura 4.6, 5.5
Kane 5.8, 7.5
Son 5.3, 6
Lamela 6.1, 6.16
Sissoko 6, 6.41

Jose 5 , this rating was heavily influenced by a 1 and 3 which may indicate a more general feeling as opposed to this particular match.

To be fair to Jose, Dele had an easy pass to Moura playing the way he was facing. He had a tough flick to Son behind him and gave the ball away in his own half trying it. The ball still went all the way back to their keeper before it came all the way up the other end into our goal, but that's not the point.

If you're right, then this public chastisement might be Dele's Eureka moment why pratting about in the way he did.

Now when you do a flick in their 18 yard box and put the ball in the back of the net or win a penalty, I'm good with that.
One doesn't have to defend (arf arf) Jm's critque of a misplaced pass if it was one that stood out in isolation...the truth is it was one of many littered throughout the game and committed more times by other players who escaped the ignominy of such scrutiny and (I might add) who performed far worse on the night. If e.g. Dele's flick had been intercepted by an opposing player and the ball had been propelled forward thus wrong footing our advancing momentum resulting in a goal then I would agree that the manger's comments were entirely justified...as it stands though I tend to think its more a case of 'No way Jose' you are puddled.:tophat:

One doesn't have to defend (arf arf) Jm's critque of a misplaced pass if it was one that stood out in isolation...the truth is it was one of many littered throughout the game and committed more times by other players who escaped the ignominy of such scrutiny and (I might add) who performed far worse on the night. If e.g. Dele's flick had been intercepted by an opposing player and the ball had been propelled forward thus wrong footing our advancing momentum resulting in a goal then I would agree that the manger's comments were entirely justified...as it stands though I tend to think its more a case of 'No way Jose' you are puddled.:tophat:

Yep, I noticed there was quite a social media backlash on our manager over it.

Ratings vs Wolves

Lloris 6 - I don't buy into Jose's comments re lack of application on the pitch, but it would be nice to see some leadership out there. Other than crapping Sonny out on one occasion for not tracking back, we don't see it. It really would be good to see the captain, whilst we are on this current run, get the team in a huddle at the start of the second half, and say lets go out and kill this game off.

Doherty 6 - Judged by the pleasantries at the end of the game Nuno looks like he wishes Matt had never left, Matt wishes he'd stayed where he was, and we're left wondering, why us. Defended OK yesterday though.

Sanchez 6.5 - Always feel that like Aurier he is an accident waiting to happen, but Dier baby sat him well, and they seem comfortable alongside one another.

Dier 7 - Has to work overtime of late, but does it pretty well.

Davies 7 - Started the game well with both the forward pass and the assist for our goal. Thereafter had a good battle all afternoon with Traore their biggest threat. Did the job well with little assistance or cover from Reguilon or Bergwijn whilst they were out there.

Hojbjerg 6.5 - Seemed to stand out more as a midfield enforcer when we were playing more offensive football. Now he's just another cog in the defensive effort.

Winks 6 - Earned his place with a good showing against Stoke. As per usual however he invariably looks pretty moderate when up against better quality opposition.

Ndombele 7.5 - Had a storming first half and was clearly the best player out there whilst on the pitch. Can't rate him any higher though, will we ever see him complete an entire game. More to the point, why not.

Reguilon 5.5 - Always looks decent going forward, but there isn't too much end product, he can be quite wasteful, and yesterday provided little assistance to Davies in dealing with Traore.

Kane 5.5 - Mediocre, culminating in him losing his mark for their goal. To what extent he can blamed however is questionable. One of the best five front men in world football being required to sacrifice himself for this brand of football must be soul destroying. How he must long for the days of Pochettino, Eriksen, Alli and Kane.

Son 5.5 - Ditto Kane

Subs

Bergwijn 5.5 - After seeming to be a bit of a nothing player, he put in some decent performances against good opposition. Already though the rejuvenation is starting to look short lived. It's difficult to see where he would add any value in a decent team playing positive football.

Sissoko 6 - Ran around and did his best. As we know though, his best isn't going to change games.

Jose 2 - One for the fact that we didn't lose, one for still being in the top six. The upcoming fixtures really should give him an opportunity to adopt a more positive approach and get us moving forward again. If he doesn't he's clearly not right for our Club.

So the Wolves game

Lloris 7 - assured as always and one good save at the strikers feet

Doherty 5 - just meh again. Doesn't push his opposition back, doesn't get forward and mostly static

Sanchez 7 - stood tall and intercepted very well

Dier 8 - pick of the defenders

Davies 7 mostly good, but error for the goal. Dealt with the beast well though

Reggie 6 - Jose's system is crushing him. I feel bad for the guy

Hojbjerg 6 - sat too deep after the goal. Need to take responsibility and drive everyone further forward

Winks 6 - started well but faded. Played way more forward passes than he was given credit for

Ndombele 8 - I can only imagine how well this guy could play in the right system. Superb game.

Son 5 - playing his way onto the bench at the moment

Kane 5 - huffed and puffed (and dived). Looked cumbersome and as if the world owed him a favour again. Needs a better system to play in though.

Subs

Sissoko 6 - run around a lot and touched the ball infrequently. Did what was asked though.

Bergwijn 6 - see Sissoko

Lamela 5 - didn't come off for him. Mostly lost the ball.

Jose 4 - he gets the 4 for the defensive organisation. He's way off getting the other 4 he needs to get an 8 because of his defensive mindset. He can blame the players all he wants for not scoring a second goal in 89 mins, but we all know why. He needs to get a grip and start using his smarts to get this talented bunch to perform to their potential.

Lloris 7 - Did everything that was asked of him.

Doherty 5 - Offered very little going forward. How did he score 7 goals for Wolves last season? Defensively had the easier side to manage and coped - just.

Sanchez 6.5 - More assured PL performance. A few good interceptions and tackles. Positional sense and decision-making were awry at times. He needs to do more to inspire confidence.

Dier 7.5 - Good all round performance after being under the cosh for most of the game. And cut out a lot of the aimless hoofing.

Davies 7 - Had a very tough task with Traore and Semeda on the right and for the most part dealt with it well. At fault for the goal.

Reggie 5.5 - He seems to have lost his mojo. Rarely threatened going forward and rarely defended with any real purpose.

Hojbjerg 6 - With five defenders he was too close to the back line. Some good tackles and interceptions but also some unnecessary free kicks given away.

Winks 5.5 - Disappointing. Not the way to stake your claim for a starting place. In the first half a few positive forward passes but also some stray ones. Defensively caught badly out of position a couple of times in the second half.

Ndombele 8 - The only ray of sunshine on a very gloomy evening. His skills looked totally out of place in what was going on around him. Still needs to do more to dominate games but his goal, runs and passes (sometimes) were the only positive things I can remember about our performance.

Son 5 - It was very difficult to see what he was actually doing out there. A nondescript performance.

Kane 5 - Jose's system notwithstanding, it was a poor performance. He lost possession countless times. He can't dribble or beat a man like he used to. And given he was one of only two forwards, for the most part he played too deep. Like Son, give him time and space and he's devastating. But teams are doubling/trebling up on these two now and we don't have much alternative.

Sissoko 5 - I remember him running a lot but not much else.

Bergwijn 5 - Not as good defensively as I expected. Doesn't have the quality going forward to hurt teams consistently.

Jose 2 - He's responsible for the tactics. I feel a tad guilty criticising and marking certain players down because they are playing to his instructions. The team selection looked positive but the early tempo disappeared and the players reverted to type. It's no good Jose blaming the players. How they played is how they've been grilled to play on the training ground.

Hugo Lloris 7
Unable to stop them equalizing, but did the rest of his job pretty well.

Davinson Sanchez 5
Looked a tad off on the right of a back three but also looked rusty at times, another who again opted to hoof or panic when he had time to pick a pass.

Eric Dier 6.5
played well, but his distribution let him down, snuffed out a number of their attacks, and read the game better than most.

Ben Davies 6
At fault for their goal, but up until then had had a good night. No surprise after 89 minutes of backs to the wall that he made a simple mistake.

Matt Doherty 5
Seemed ok in defence, but little going forward, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt as he was cheap, but he's now looking just that, cheap and little to offer.

Harry Winks 5
Forced to play deep with his back to goal for most of it, so little movement in front or beside of him, unimpressive.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg 6

His only job is to protect the center-backs in Jose system but in the last 10 mins has to do more and looked as if he could play a part in an ambitious attacking team, he won't be allowed to though.

Sergio Reguilon 6
So rarely got back he was almost the main man that allowed Davies to get swamped. He deserved to be brought off, think it should have been sooner

Tanguy Ndombele 8
Comfortably most fans/pundits and papers man of the match, despite only lasting 70 minutes. Should never have come off, any forward momentum we had disappeared with him.

Heung-min Son 5
He'll have the hump at expecting to keep being a water carrier and it showed, visibly lost interest and effort as the game went on.

Harry Kane 4
This bullshite of playing in the 'hole' continues and so it's no surprise to see him in another lackluster performance - it seems Jose is as determined to run him into the ground as Poch was.

Steven Bergwijn (Reguilon 63’) 5
Came on to apparently offer an attacking threat - spent the rest of the game defending..

Moussa Sissoko (Ndombele 70’) 6

Just why bother?. Of course. Jose didn't mean to use him as he'd given no instructions to defend deep, so why take off our one creative spark for him?

Did get a nose bleed on the right at one point, great position, but the cross might as well have been made by a one legged man.

Erik Lamela (Son 83’) 6

Joses 'get out of jail card. Didn't work.

Jose - 1

would have given him more except his post match interview that said everything you need to know about him.

I have 6 media/ web ratings but not The Times yet. Winks, Son and Kane are not doing well. Winks is no surprise but the other two not the norm of late.

My ratings v Wolves.
Lloris 6, Sanchez 6, Dier 7, Davies 5, Doherty 5, Winks 5, Hojbjerg 6, Reggie 5, Ndombele 7, Son 5, Kane 5, Bergwijn 5, Sissoko 5.
Jose 5.

Average player ratings against Wolves across 6 web/ media and 5 forum posters. Media is the second column.

Lloris 6.6, 6.66
Sanchez 6.2, 6.41
Dier 7.2, 6.83
Davies 6.4, 6.08
Doherty 5.2, 6.08
Winks 5.5, 5.58
Hojbjerg 6.1, 6.5
Reggie 5.6 6.25
Ndombele 7.7 , 8
Son 5.1, 5.16
Kane 4.9 , 5.83
Bergwijn 5.3, 5.6
Sissoko 5.6, 5.66

Jose 2.8.

Ratings vs Leeds

Lloris 7 - Clean sheet and did what was necessary, which wasn't as much as maybe was expected.

Dier 7.5 - Did everything that was necessary on the day to contain what can be a dangerous attack.

Alderweireld 8 - As per Dier, with extra half point for goal, a millimetre difference and the extra half point would have gone to Dier for the follow up.

Davies 7.5 - Usual solid defensive performance.

Doherty 4 - Things just don't get any better. A few decent defensive headers which assisted the clean sheet, otherwise the four is probably generous.

Winks 7 - Looks comfortable alongside Hojbjerg.

Hojbjerg 8 - Others were very good, but over the full 90 minutes Hojbjerg was my MOM

Ndombele 6.5 - Didn't look happy when he came off, not sure whether he was injured, but yet again it is difficult to give a high rating to a player who never completes more than 65 minutes.

Bergwijn 6.5 - His running is good, he looks good on the ball, but his end product is poor.

Kane 8 - Harry and Sonny back to something approaching their best. Wish we had more opponents like Leeds where we are able to play to their strengths.

Son 7.5 - Again demonstrated that he finds it difficult to miss these days. Really don't know why he passed up a great opportunity to try and gift one to Bergwijn. I prefer the greedy Son.

Subs

Sissoko 6.5 Moura 6

Jose 7.5 - Decent team selection, and the team was allowed to score more than one.

Leeds game

Lloris 7 - don't go to Paris !!!

Doherty 5 - not yet understanding this signing....apart from the transfer fee

Toby 7 - solid and nice to see him on the scoresheet

Dier 6.5 - wobbled at the start of the game but got stronger

Davies 7.5 - he made himself a very hard man to play against in this game.

Hojbjerg 8 - had dipped recent games, but was back to his best. I do feel he needs to pull the team higher up sometimes though.

Winks 7.5 - showed why the Hoj / Winks partnership is so much more effective. Always using his smarts.

Ndombele 6 - still suffering in Jose's setup. He needs to start demand the ball and taking responsibility.

Bergwijn 7 - a player that makes it easy for everyone else around him. Just wish he'd get that goal he deserves.

Kane 7 - still looks a little sluggish but did the business as always

Son 7 - played OK, but we need more from him.

Subs
Moura 4 - run around a lot and lost it pretty much every time he touched it. A waste of a sub.
Sissoko 6 - slotted straight in and kept us solid
Vini - no long enough to judge

Jose 6 - better first half from him, but felt he let the team get too deep in the second half. Wasn't inspired by the subs though. Would have loved to have seen Ndombele changed like for like with Dele or Gedson. He clearly has trust issues with some of the squad.

My ratings against Leeds.
Lloris 6, Doherty 5, Toby 7.5, Dier 7, Davies 8, Hojbjerg 8.5, Winks 7, Ndombele 6.5, Bergwijn 6, Son 8.5, Kane 8.5, Sissoko 6, Moura 6.
Jose 7

Ratings for Leeds
Lloris 7, Doherty 5, Alderweireld 7, Dier 6.5, Davies 7, Winks 7, Hojbjerg 8, N’Dombele 6, Bergwyn 6.5, Son 7.5, Kane 7
Subs: Moura 5.5, Sissoko 6 Vinicius not on long enough
Jose 7

My ratings against Leeds.
Lloris 6, Doherty 4, Toby 7.5, Dier 7, Davies 7.5, Hojbjerg 8.5, Winks 7, Ndombele 6, Bergwijn 6, Son 8.5, Kane 8.5, Sissoko 5, Moura 5.
Jose 6

Average player ratings against Leeds across 10 media/websites and 5 forum posters. Media in second column.

Lloris 6.6 , 6.5
Doherty 4.6, 4 9
Toby 7.4, 7.7
Dier 6.9, 6.75
Davies 7.5, 6.9
Hojbjerg 8.2, 8.75
Winks 7.1, 7
Ndombele 6.2, 6.9
Bergwijn 6.4, 6.8
Son 7.8, 8.35
Kane 7.8 , 8.1
Sissoko 5.9, 6
Moura 5.3, 5.6

Jose 6.7.

Average player ratings against Leeds across 10 media/websites and 5 forum posters. Media in second column.

Lloris 6.6 , 6.5
Doherty 4.6, 4 9
Toby 7.4, 7.7
Dier 6.9, 6.75
Davies 7.5, 6.9
Hojbjerg 8.2, 8.75
Winks 7.1, 7
Ndombele 6.2, 6.9
Bergwijn 6.4, 6.8
Son 7.8, 8.35
Kane 7.8 , 8.1
Sissoko 5.9, 6
Moura 5.3, 5.6

Jose 6.7.

Nick - any chance of some mid-season averages per player or do you not retain the data you collect? It would be interesting to see the league table of player ratings.