2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings | Page 10 | Vital Football

2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings

V Burnley: Ugly game but satisying victory and 2 clean sheets in a row.

Lloris 8 -- Did everything asked of him and those two composed collections at the death kept us calm.
Doherty 6 -- Better from him, but I don't see a vast difference between him and Serge so far.
Alderweireld 8 -- Best game in a while for Toby. That blow to he head early one worked wonders!
Dier 7 -- One or two dodgy moments and his long passing was off at times but battled hard. Good from both center backs.
Davies 6 -- Defended well, but was poor going forward yet again. Gives his all, though.

Hojbjerg 7 -- Tough game for him and from him. Not the man to unlock the Burnley game plan, but did what he had to do.
Sissoko 6 -- Lots of energy from him. Nothing much to offer going forward but we needed his presence and he made some good covering tackles.
Ndombele 7.5 -- Stuck out like a sore thumb with his quality. Fitness is better but can still improve in that area. Our best midfielder right now.

Moura 5 -- Tough game for all our front lads, but his impact was non existent.
Son 7 -- Great finish from the header, and kept working even though little was coming off for him.
Kane 8 -- Was the match winner with the header off the line and the headed assist combo. Would like to see him rested on Thursday as this was a gruelling game.

Lamela 6 -- Made such a difference when he came on.
Lo Celso 5 -- Decent cameo. Good to have him back.

Mourinho 7 -- Predicted the game would be like this before kick off and wasn't wrong. Prepared the team well and got the result.

Burnley were good. It was a tough, physical game that I'm happy we came through. Puts to bed the pain of the Hammers comeback and with some tough fixtures on the horizon we can take solace in the fact we haven't lost a game since the opening day against the Toffees.

Player ratings averages against Burnley across 6 posters and 7 media.
Forum ratings in first column

Lloris 7.58, 7
Doherty 5.83, 5.35
Toby 7.66, 6.71
Dier 7, 6
Davies 5.91, 5.35
Hojbjerg 6.66, 6.57
Sissoko 5.91, 5.92
Ndombele 7.33, 7
Moura 4.58, 4.85
Son 7.16, 7.28
Kane 8.16, 7.35
Lamela 6.5, 6.28
Jose 6

So, according to the media our back 4 rated 5.35, 6.71, 6 and 5.35. Yet we kept a clean sheet. Seems very harsh.

I thought I was being harsh with Doherty and Davies on my ratings but they were given license to get forward - and both were quite poor - so I built that into my scores.

But a pair of 5.35s seems unreasonable.

Normally the media and websites rate the players higher than our forum. It was a fairly uninspiring performance by us which may have set the mood on ratings on this game.

So, according to the media our back 4 rated 5.35, 6.71, 6 and 5.35. Yet we kept a clean sheet. Seems very harsh.

I thought I was being harsh with Doherty and Davies on my ratings but they were given license to get forward - and both were quite poor - so I built that into my scores.

But a pair of 5.35s seems unreasonable.
I took the clean sheet into account while rating as well, first of the season too. It was one of those games not condusive to attacking play and both struggled on that end, but they did their primary jobs so I felt a 6 for each was warranted.

The other way to look at it is that they are averages. Toby came out as our best defender, Dier next and not much between Doherty and Davies. Is that a fair representation ?

Stats vs impression. As the Who Scored stats suggest, Doherty was MotM

Against Antwerp , my ratings. Stay calm.....
Lloris 4, Aurier 3, Sanchez 2, Davies 2, Reggie 3, Winks 4, Loco 4 , Dele 3, Bale 3, Bergwijn 3, Vinnie 3, Hojbjerg 5, Moura 4, Son 5, Lamela 5, Kane 5.
I marked Lloris down because he is the captain FFS.
Bale didnt do much wrong, he just didn't do enough.
Jose 3

Last edited:
Lloris 6 - mostly OK
Aurier 3 - has no technique to kick a football
Sanchez 5 - at least you are a defender
Davies 4 - ain't a centre half, never has been, never will be
Reguilon 6 - wasted, but below par
Winks 5 - some promising signs, no end product......again
Gio 5 - so off the pace
Dele 6 - his body language says it all....some good touches but has been managed awfully by Jose
Bale 4 - lazy, at one point held his hand up for offside as an excuse not to track back. Grow up.
Bergwijn 5 - not happening yet
Vini 5 - looked very average

Subs
Moura 3 - centre mid? Absolute joke
Hojberg 5 - a yard too slow in every exchange
Lamela 5 - some good moments, but mostly offered nothing
Kane 5 - got involved but looked a yard off the pace
Son 5 - offered nothing as a sub.

Jose - big fat zero - as already mentioned, stop talking and start managing. Tonight asked more questions of your motivational skill and tactics than the players performances. You had an absolute shocker.

Lloris 6 - mostly OK
Aurier 3 - has no technique to kick a football
Sanchez 5 - at least you are a defender
Davies 4 - ain't a centre half, never has been, never will be
Reguilon 6 - wasted, but below par
Winks 5 - some promising signs, no end product......again
Gio 5 - so off the pace
Dele 6 - his body language says it all....some good touches but has been managed awfully by Jose
Bale 4 - lazy, at one point held his hand up for offside as an excuse not to track back. Grow up.
Bergwijn 5 - not happening yet
Vini 5 - looked very average

Subs
Moura 3 - centre mid? Absolute joke
Hojberg 5 - a yard too slow in every exchange
Lamela 5 - some good moments, but mostly offered nothing
Kane 5 - got involved but looked a yard off the pace
Son 5 - offered nothing as a sub.

Jose - big fat zero - as already mentioned, stop talking and start managing. Tonight asked more questions of your motivational skill and tactics than the players performances. You had an absolute shocker.

Can't argue with a single word of that.

Take your ratings as read.

Lloris 5.5
Aurier 3.5
Sanchez 4.5
Davies 3.5
Reguilon 4
Winks 4.5
Lo Celso 4
Dele 4
Bale 3
Vinicius 4
Bergwijn 3

Subs
Moura 3
Hojberg 4
Lamela 3
Kane 4.5
Son 4.5

Jose 2

Ratings versus Antwerp.

Lloris 5, Aurier 4, Sanchez 3.5, Davies 3, Reguilon 4, Winks 4, Lo Celso 3.5, Dele 3.5, Bale 3, Vinicius 3, Bergwijn 2.5, Moura 3, Lamela 4, Hojbjerg, 4.5, Kane 4.5, Son 4.5, Mourinho 2 (would have given him 2.5 without the blame game after).

I have 5 media/ website ratings and will draw a line under those which are too high IMO but maybe I am too tarnished. I will wait until later today to collate forim poster ratings.

Vs Royal Antwerp
Starters

Lloris - 5 - Couldnt do much for the goal.
Aurier - 4 - Poor in attack and easily bullied in defence.
Sanchez - 3 - Shambles tonight. Shared blame for goal.
Davies - 3 - Also shambles. Mistake led to goal.
Reguilon - 4 - Busy, shows effort, but was sloppy tonight.
Lo Celso - 4 - Sloppy and not his usual self.
Winks - 6 - Worked hard and even got forward more but with impact.
Dele - 3 - Wasteful, sluggish. No confidence!
Bale - 4 - Still not match sharp and gave the ball away a lot.
Bergwijn - 4 - Looks unfit and hid all first half.
Vinicius - 6 - He worked hard and tried to get the attack going. Unfairly subbed.

Subs

Son - 6 - Showed moments of class but not his normal clinical self.
Lamela - 6 - Busy, bought others into the attack well but no impact.
Hojbjerg - 6 - Was steady and worked hard but a little sloppy.
Lucas - 5 - Little impact.
Kane - 6 - Showed the same drive of recent weeks but was bullied like Vin.

Manager

Jose - 1 - Too many changes. No consideration for conditioning. Poor sub choices. Still no tactical solutions for the opposition 'parking the bus' and hitting us on the counter.

Vs Royal Antwerp
Starters

Vinicius - 6 - He worked hard and tried to get the attack going. Unfairly subbed.

Subs

Manager

Jose - 1 - Too many changes. No consideration for conditioning. Poor sub choices. Still no tactical solutions for the opposition 'parking the bus' and hitting us on the counter.

Matic, I agree with most of your ratings:

Lloris: 5. His distribution was iffy. Could have been because his players were 'all over the place'.

Aurier: 4. He and frankly the entire Spurs team seemed to not have the gas to take on defenders and go around them.

Sanchez: 2. The guy is rubbish. Sorry, but he is a liability. No creativity, always quickly offloads a pass backwards to Hugo or square to another a team mate.

Davies: 3. Not the first time he has been caught out in defense.

Reguilon: 5. I like the boy. He'll be an asset to the team.

Lo Celso: 3. He was off tonight, but he is a better footballer than this.

Winks: 4. Has Winksy reached his level of competence, because his recent performances have been ordinary.

Dele: 3. Oh dear! Where to from here?

Bale: 3. By his standards, a poor showing.

Bergwijn: 3. No understanding with his team mates tonight. Never looked dangerous. Was his first game last season against City his best?

Vinicius: 3. Like the other new guy Reguilon, I think he has potential to be better that he was tonight.

Subs: we had lost any structure, pattern and cohesion by the second half and frenetic performances by Harry, Sonny and Lamela were panic-mode.

I have to end by saying that Antwerp played well and deserved to take the 3 points.

Vs Royal Antwerp
Starters

Subs

Manager

Why does Sanchez share the blame with Davies?

Why does Sanchez share the blame with Davies?
Gary I think that is because Sanchez went ahead of their man, so as to stop him shooting across goal, GK would have had a chance with that, but he should have stayed square of him and tried to force him wide, thus going ahead of him gave the bloke a chance to square to the goal scorer, thus very poor defending by him.

Gary I think that is because Sanchez went ahead of their man, so as to stop him shooting across goal, GK would have had a chance with that, but he should have stayed square of him and tried to force him wide, thus going ahead of him gave the bloke a chance to square to the goal scorer, thus very poor defending by him.
I think that's a little harsh. Mbokani had a clear run on goal if Sanchez hadn't come across although I take your point about trying to force him wide. But Mbokani had oceans of room to make the pass to Refaelov still. Maybe Sanchez he was hoping (praying) Aurier wasn't marooned upfield and could cover for him?

Either way, it was totally Davies's responsibility for me and you can't legislate for that type of basic error.

This. It wasn't a smart moment by Sanchez who does have this tendency to act like a deer in headlights rather than keep his head and manage a situation. He should have dropped away from the player with the ball so if the player did decide to cross he would have been closer to the other player. The ideal scenario would have been the player out wide taking on the shot from a tighter angle. Sanchez made the situation unmanageable for Lloris in the end.

This. It wasn't a smart moment by Sanchez who does have this tendency to act like a deer in headlights rather than keep his head and manage a situation. He should have dropped away from the player with the ball so if the player did decide to cross he would have been closer to the other player. The ideal scenario would have been the player out wide taking on the shot from a tighter angle. Sanchez made the situation unmanageable for Lloris in the end.
Even in this scenario - which I still think is very harsh - how does he share the blame with Davies? I understood you to mean they were equally culpable by the way.