2018 Holiday Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

2018 Holiday Thread

It's not peak times as we're going before the school holidays making the most of the girls GCSE year and them finishing early.

I looked at RentalCars. Their cheapest deal was also with SicilyByCar but was still more expensive than DoYouitaly.

At the end of the day you're getting the car from the same company so does the broker really matter?

Yep, the broker matters a lot as they get deals from the rental companies that we, as punters, can't. I have actually tested it, found the best deal on Rentalcars and then checked directly with the same rental company under the same circumstances, Rentalcars was the better deal so I've stuck with them ever since. Each time I look elsewhere I always end up returning to Rentalcars. Additionally, if you pay for their extra cover, it's independant of the hire company, which can be an advantage, the disadvantage being that, in the event of a claim, you have to pay the excess first and then reclaim it rather than it being direct as it is with the extra cover offered by the rental companies.

Edit: It's also good to have a customer services in your own language, based in your own country (Manchester in this case)

What I mean is is you have 2 brokers (in this case DoYouItaly and RentalCars) and both offering deals with the same company (SicilyByCar) does it matter which broker you go through or should I just choose the cheapest, which is DoYouitaly?

I guess it depends on the reputation of the broker. I've never heard of DoYouItaly so can't comment but, should things not go as smoothely as you'd like, do they have English language customer service (by this I mean fluent, mother tongue English) and where is their costomer services centre? If they are not a Britished based company, how much redress do you have in case of problems? Are they actually a decent sized company, a serious member of the industry of just a 2 man operation that only covers Italy? I have no idea so I won't try to sway you other than to say that Rentalcars (Originally Carhire3000 when I started using them) have been around for a good while and have a good reputation.

A lot of the brokers are actually just a new website, set up to mop up a few more customers by an existing bigger name. You can often tell them by the incredible similarities in their websites and if you ring them it goes to the same customer service office.

This might be useful for you:-

http://tuscany-toscana.blogspot.no/2013/08/what-you-need-to-know-before-renting.html#.WmXbjVXhBOQ

DoYouItaly is a subsidiary of DoYouSpain, this is info I got when searching for "Is Rentalscars the same company as DoYouSpain?" on Google:-

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g666512-i14761-k6448731-Do_You_Spain_Car_Hire_misleading_advertising_overcharges-Reus_Baix_Camp_Costa_Dorada_Provi.html

Yeah I've read bad reviews on them too, but I've read bad reviews on all the major car rental companies which is why I asked the question why hasn't something been done to stop these companies fleecing their customers?

It's shocking really.

Booked through RentalCars in the end mate.

You got me thinking about the UK customer service so decided to go and re-check prices on the Qashqai (or equivilant) only to notice they had an even better deal on a VW Golf Estate which suits us more as it has a larger boot.

All booked now.

if it goes wrong I'll hunt you down!!
:15:

Also get 8% cashback through TopCashback which is about £45 and makes it even cheaper than the other deal. Happy days.

It cost around £300 to rent a car in Ireland for 3 weeks in 2016. That was for a Skoda Superb.

There was a scam with the insurance. The insurance to cover the the excess on the insurance was more than the cost of the car rental. I let the block out €5000 on my credit card to cover the excess and that was that.

I did look like a right pillock at the pick up when I couldn't get the car into reverse. (You have to push the lever down and then across)

DeanoVilla - 22/1/2018 15:02

Booked through RentalCars in the end mate.

You got me thinking about the UK customer service so decided to go and re-check prices on the Qashqai (or equivilant) only to notice they had an even better deal on a VW Golf Estate which suits us more as it has a larger boot.

All booked now.

if it goes wrong I'll hunt you down!!
:15:

April fool!!!!

Oh shit, did I time that wrong? Sorry mate.

Can't see me having a holiday this year, did 'too much' last year, will have to pay for it this year by doing nowt I think.

I do want to crack on and get a bit more off my mortgage as well,so could well be a more sensible year.

*Few months time I'll be all ' :4: holiday booked'

:3:

Few months? I wouldn't be suprised if you were back on here tomorrow saying you'd booked a world cruise.

DeanoVilla - 22/1/2018 14:04

Also get 8% cashback through TopCashback which is about £45 and makes it even cheaper than the other deal. Happy days.

or maybe not.... just realised the laptop was logged into Natalies topcashback account when I clicked through!!!

:26: :26: :26:

Not sure what happens now. If she gets it in her account thats fine, but if it doesn't go through now coz the names dont match thats £45 down the swanny! ARRGHH!

2018 Holiday plans taking shape now.

Started off the new year with a Belgium/France road trip.

Booked an 11 night trip back to India staying in Delhi and Varanasi for Holi in Feb/March.

Road trip to Edinburgh for a long weekend over Easter.

Long weekend to Genoa on the Italian riviera with a mate in early May to watch Sampdoria v Napoli.

Finally a trip back to Hong kong and Thailand (with a possible 2 night trip to Kuala Lumpa) late May.
That's the first 6 months sorted anyway!

DeanoVilla - 30/1/2018 13:01

You been to Sicily Chico? (Is there anywhere you haven't been?)

Any recommendations?

Not been mate, but its a place I want to go to....Love Italy in general, never been to a place that I haven't loved there. Looks like you have a fantastic deal there Deano, and will check how you get on. :35:

I've booked Barbados for this year. We looked at the Maldives, but the kids summer holidays is their rainy season.

Never been there before.

neilh111 - 24/2/2018 21:56

I've booked Barbados for this year. We looked at the Maldives, but the kids summer holidays is their rainy season.

Never been there before.

It's amazing what a big accumulator can get you............. you BARSTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :19: