2018 Holiday Thread | Vital Football

2018 Holiday Thread

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
So it's that time of year where Xmas is done and we're all back at work. Depressing ay?

So what better way to cheer yourself up than booking a holiday?

Booked flights to Sicily for 2 weeks Late June/Early July. We're able to capitalise on the cheap prices as it's the girls GCSE year, so they finish their exams mid-June meaning we can get away before the main school holidays.

Managed to get 5 direct return flights to Sicily with pre-selected seats and two 23KG Suitcases for £380, all in!!! Bargain, £76 return each to Sicily! Probably couldn't get to Leeds by train for that!

Just gotta find a nice hotel now, book a car and we're sorted.

I love Italy, it's probably my favourite country in the world, but never been to Sicily so looking forward to it.

Anyone else been and got any recommendations of things to see and do?

Also got 5 days booked at Center Parcs (Sherwood Forest) in May, paid for by my mom, so thats a nice treat too.

All in all, not a bad first half of the year to look forward to.

Anyone else got much planned holiday wise?

Wowzer, fair play that's an amazing deal. As you say, Italy is a cool place. Not been to Sicily but I know someone who went and waxed lyrical about the place. Very classy apparently.

Going to Koh Lipe in March and Ireland in June.

Koh Lipe is a tropical paradise. It's just over the border in Thailand so a nice 5 hour drive to the jetty and then a couple of hours in the boat.

Ireland is an island but it's not a tropical paradise.

Going back to Taman Negara for a proper wander sometime this year.

We had a fairly expensive holiday in 2017 pluss a couple of trips to the UK so have to scale down a bit this year. We will be in Blighty in September, other than that we're looking at having a break somewhere warm during the summer but not sure when or where yet. I want to go to Greece, the Mrs wants Canary Islands and my sons want to go to Greece for the culture (They are bigly into Greek mythology) but somewhere Spanish speaking to practice what they've learned at school. A week in a caravan in Bognor it is then.

No holiday this year for me.

A lot depends on Mrs P's visa extension being successful. If everything goes to plan, we'll be doing the UK, Cornwall, Scotland, Lake District etc.

Pride of Lions - 3/1/2018 11:10

A lot depends on Mrs P's visa extension being successful. If everything goes to plan, we'll be doing the UK, Cornwall, Scotland, Lake District etc.

Erm, are you not contradicting yourself there?

Villan Of The North - 2/1/2018 17:11

When I talk about holidays, I automatically think overseas VOTN.

:14:

Pride of Lions - 3/1/2018 11:18

Villan Of The North - 2/1/2018 17:11

When I talk about holidays, I automatically think overseas VOTN.

:14:

Well just so that you know, you're wrong! lol

Awesome. We stayed there a few years ago. Pretty cool waking up in the morning and having giraffe's outside your room.

Has anyone here been to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria? After last year's blow-out we're looking for something cheap and cheerful with guaranteed warm weather. I know we could try Spain or Greece but even with those prices, with 5 of us prices quickly mount up. I wouldn't mind Turkey but Mrs VOTN is skeptical after the events of recent years.

Guess where we are going guys? :19: :19: :19:

Katelios, Kefelonia 5th June - 3rd July and hopefully a U.K break to Edinburgh. Ofcourse it is time I won another holiday as the last time was 3 years ago :14:

Villan Of The North - 6/1/2018 05:24

Has anyone here been to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria? After last year's blow-out we're looking for something cheap and cheerful with guaranteed warm weather. I know we could try Spain or Greece but even with those prices, with 5 of us prices quickly mount up. I wouldn't mind Turkey but Mrs VOTN is skeptical after the events of recent years.

You should try Kefelopous, I hear it's great.

Booked our Villa for Sicily last night. Used Air B'nB and got a pretty good deal I think.

Wit the cheap flights £380 return for all 5 of us, and now the cheapish Villa, this could well be the cheapest holiday I've been on in a long time. Yet I'm really really looking forward to it as it looks amazing.

When did car hire become so damn expensive?

Baring in mind it only cost us £380 for 5 return flights to Sicily, the cost of hiring a car over there is almost double that.

Best I've found is with a company called SicilyByCar (via a broker called DoYouItay.com) which is over £600 for 2 weeks.

Bit worried about using a non reputable company though, but for Hertz or Alamo etc... looking at closer to 1k so I'll probably take the risk.

Also why hasn't anything been done about these car hire companies and their dodgy practices? When you look at the reviews (even for the reputable ones) you see sooooo many stories of hidden charges, fees, insurance scams etc.. it terrifies me booking car hire whenever I go away.

I always use Rentalcars.com, I've had some great deals with them over the last 10 years or so. Remember though, many renters adjust their prices according to demand so traveling at peak times will push the prices up, and 2 weeks is quite a long rental.

http://www.rentalcars.com/Home.do;jsessionid=09C82BE83871EAE0A853B2DBF4140D18.node394a