10 Points behind Lincoln | Page 9 | Vital Football

10 Points behind Lincoln

Don't get me wrong, I won't be signing up to post on the Fishy, but I am enjoying them desperately hoping the National League gets cancelled so that they can't be relegated. I also enjoy Norfolk's contributions on there but sadly not many of them seem to bite - they are mostly just envious of what we have achieved.

I can't help thinking that some people are missing the point. The implication that supporters from different clubs should not communicate is ludicrous in the extreme.

I look on other forums myself, I appreciate the different perspectives even if some are laugh-out-loud ridiculous in their chauvinism towards their own side. That happens regularly here too.

That's completely different from seeking to engage on their forums. Those people are practically always either out-and-out cranks or obsequious Uriah Heep types attempting to ingratiate themselves. Both types are appalling and they add nothing. They are purely negative influences.

The odd opposing fan actually giving useful information, welcomed by the forum he's on, is a rare thing indeed.

I realise some people think that's banter. I just think it's puerile, banal, tinpot and childish.

Roles could be reversed some time in the future like James Bond's number plates

Absolutely, what goes around comes around and all that.

The Fishy and other football fora are at thier most enjoyable when they are left unseeded/unfettered by interlopers supporting other teams baiting them - as all that does is galvanise them and takes the fun out it. As mentioned up thread a good example is the NL going bust thread on the Fishy, which is the Fishy at its incestous back stabbing grasping at nettles best, proving they don't require any outside assistance.

By posting on an opposition forum you run a very good risk indeed of making yourself look a dick and by association the rest of us. But, at the end of the day its a free World.

Last edited:
I can't help thinking that some people are missing the point. The implication that supporters from different clubs should not communicate is ludicrous in the extreme.

Fans have always interacted - call it banter if you have to - which has always been an enjoyable part of my personal football experience. Whether in a pub before or after a game, on a bus or train, it is always interesting to hear what opposing fans are saying, to get their perspective. As things stand, we cannot do that because we cannot go to matches or do anything else on a social level. So does that mean we should simply ignore everyone else and exist within an insular Lincoln City bubble?

Fansites provide a valuable service in numerous ways, and that is heightened right now. Personally, I welcome visiting supporters to Vital Lincoln City if they have something to contribute - the MK Dons fan who took the time to give us some information about Regan Poole, for example. It makes the site richer and more engaging. I may occasionally post on another site if I have something worthwhile to offer, and hopefully it all makes the football world a better place to be.

We do have a few visiting fans on here, and long may that continue.

No one is implying that interaction is not a healthy thing, after all, supporting a particular club always has and will be tribalistic at its core, that is part of the addiction.

The point here, however, is that this has been dressed up as being "debate" and "interaction" when in fact it is nothing of the sort, just one sided gloating and triumphalism. Why would anyone on the Fishy want to get into a "debate" about who we have signed in the window, in our victory at Portsmouth or our unfortunate defeat to Doncaster - no one. The MK Don fan did not post on here to ridicule, but to inform.

Anyway, as I said previously, each to their own, this clearly polarises opinion on here, but not for me.

Couldn't agree more @Scotimp. I know @Luke Imp, @Davidimp and a few others post with me on TFF, which sadly seems to be less used by other clubs' supporters the further up the pyramid we climb. In the Conference in particular it was a great place to interact with other clubs' supporters and get a better understanding of the situation for them, as well as some gentle ribbing of course. I'm an exile and don't get to many games in person because of family and work commitments, so maybe that's why I'm more open to this than others, but in the present situation it's the only interaction we have with the opposition, as you say.
Must admit I keep forgetting to go on there, was a bit over the weekend as the Gillingham fans are a decent bunch.

Unfortunately Norfolk has a history of sticking his nose in area's not of his concern and getting involved out of his depth and annoying people. Please no more gloating on other teams sites. Very embarrassing indeed.

I'd just like to clarify my position that I think fans from other clubs should be encouraged to come on here and vice versa to discuss and debate topics. Its healthy to hear other peoples viewpoints and so long as it stays friendly, debate is a great thing!

My issue is when that civility is lost to trolling, gloating and boasting.

I'm always pleased (when crowds are allowed in) when an oppo. fan comes on and gives heads up re transport/parking/food/pubs etc.

I must confess to spluttering on my coffee when this little nugget tipped up on the Sunderland board as an example of typical Lincolnshire folk as this is genuinely the village I grew up in. This is now what they think we are all like o_O

LOL I remember the incident with the CS gas, scaffold bar and retaliation with the shotgun.

At the primary school there was routine serious violence even in the early 1970's and I recall one lunch time when one of my 8 year old classmates launched a knife attack on one of the teachers who thankfully fended him off with a dining table which he smacked him over the head with resulting in about 10 stitches - note no complaint from the parents in those days though. Another kid thought it was fun to go around sticking sea fishing hooks in kids arms before ripping them out! I'd been alleviated of my dinner money at knife point twice by the time I was 11.

Sadly I grew up thinking it was part and parcel of a normal environment and it was great to realise that the world isn't all like that when I escaped.

My bedroom window overlooked the oil refinery about 100yards away and I honestly thought I'd gone blind when I woke up in the middle of the night at my first cub camp. Even now I am immune to fart smells having grown up on a 24/7 diet of sulphur dioxide or whatever it is they used to pump out.

Thankfully the clue comes at the end when the kid getting a slapping from the girl is resplendent in his cod shirt. And you may get the gist of the grief I had to 'manage' being an Imp growing up in this lovely environment and why I take great pleasure in visiting The Fishy although I wouldn't personally post on there.

Unfortunately Norfolk has a history of sticking his nose in area's not of his concern and getting involved out of his depth and annoying people. Please no more gloating on other teams sites. Very embarrassing indeed.

Does he indeed? As someone with a meagre 15 posts on here since 2017, lurking is not something to be proud of is it .... a tad weird in fact?

Not a fan, then? 😁

At least I can rely on you Notty .... being the founder member of said club and all that ;)

Does he indeed? As someone with a meagre 15 posts on here since 2017, lurking is not something to be proud of is it .... a tad weird in fact?

At least I can rely on you Notty .... being the founder member of said club and all that ;)
Reason for a meagre 15 posts is i am a reader not a poster, i
I do not get involved in any social media at all but when annoyed i can't help myself. As for you annoying people the list is huge and i'am not just referring to your antics on forums. Over and out for another couple of years if that is ok with yourself.

Reason for a meagre 15 posts is i am a reader not a poster, I do not get involved in any social media at all but when annoyed i can't help myself. As for you annoying people the list is huge and i'am not just referring to your antics on forums. Over and out for another couple of years if that is ok with yourself.

Do I know you? .... at least give me the courtesy of your name, seeing as you know me so well .... so I can avoid/ignore you in the future?

A private message will suffice.

I do not get involved in any social media at all but when annoyed i can't help myself. As for you annoying people the list is huge and i'am not just referring to your antics on forums. Over and out for another couple of years if that is ok with yourself.

Definitely not a fan. :grinning:

I do not get involved in any social media at all but when annoyed i can't help myself

I'm a lover not a fighter, but when annoyed I can't help myself.

To be fair, Norfolk is known to some of the Town faithful and has some respect on the Fishy from those who've been around long enough.