10 Points behind Lincoln | Page 8 | Vital Football

10 Points behind Lincoln

They are not happy bunnies, and who can blame them. That club has not given a proper toss about its fans for a few years in spite of their loyal support, and the good facilities. Poor management on and off the field, one post about sums things up:

"State of this thread man. I’ve only been out of bed an hour and it’s got me depressed as fuck. Welcome to the SMB: Sunderland’s Miserable Bastards".

As you may have seen earlier @Norfolk Imp I'm not keen at all on fans of rival clubs posting on any team's boards. We've seen it here and does anyone really think it constitutes banter?

It's always annoying, unwelcome trolling and makes that person (and by association his club) look a right dick.

As for Lincoln City's history, lets look at another way. For all but 24 years of a very long history this club has been in the bottom division of English League football and for 10 weren't even it, including the 3 years we were voted out.

Our historic level therefore, is Division 4.
Norfolk Imp has a long and proud history of winding up other clubs' supporters online, dating back at least to the old Rivals board. I believe he created the original "Who can stop the Lincoln Loco?" thread. I'll let him off!

Last edited:
If I was that bad or insulting, I would be banned .... but to date I've not been, so I therefore add balance to an otherwise one-sided debate.
Comparing us unfavourably to Wycombe - a club who joined the Football League over 100 years after we did - was ridiculous and needed calling out. Their present side also is a totally different beast to us; they play agricultural football and averaged 5300 last season. I bet if we go up, we will better their points total by at least 10 points.

Comparing us unfavourably to Wycombe - a club who joined the Football League over 100 years after we did - was ridiculous and needed calling out. Their present side also is a totally different beast to us; they play agricultural football and averaged 5300 last season. I bet if we go up, we will better their points total by at least 10 points.

Absolutely so, especially if we had Palmer, Johnson and Rogers with us for another season long loan each?

I think for a lot of fans of other teams what comes to mind when Lincoln are mentioned is the cup run. I reckon that has made us stick in some minds as a non-league team even though historically we normally haven't been.

It can be a bit annoying but best just to enjoy it more when we beat them.

I think for a lot of fans of other teams what comes to mind when Lincoln are mentioned is the cup run. I reckon that has made us stick in some minds as a non-league team even though historically we normally haven't been.

It can be a bit annoying but best just to enjoy it more when we beat them.
Commentators also quite often speak of our incredible journey from non-league to league 1. They rarely mention the equally incredible fall into non-league 10 years ago.
The problem with football history, particularly in the national media, is that anything pre-1992 simply doesn't matter!

If I was that bad or insulting, I would be banned .... but to date I've not been, so I therefore add balance to an otherwise one-sided debate.

I'm not sure taking the piss out of a n other club that happens to have found itself at a lower level to our current one, constitutes a "debate", but each to their own. All I would say is that what goes around comes around and no doubt we will be on the other end of it at some point down the line.

Before 2011 we had spent 1 season of the previous 90 in non league, but now we're Johnny come latelys to the football league apparently thanks to our 6 seasons out, dear me.
They clearly do as much research Mr Hortin.

Felt the need to educate these clowns, how dare they class us alongside Wycombe.

View attachment 45926

I share your frustration with other forums posting ignorant comments about us. I struggle sometimes to keep quiet when people do so myself and if it weren't so much effort to sign up to some of these forums, I probably would reply myself, however...

Its not just the Sunderland forum I have seen you need to comment on. Having a read of the Grimsby forum I dont understand almost every time we have a good result you feel the need to go rub their noses in it, without any real prompts. You bumped a thread thirteen days without a post to tell them we beat Portsmouth... Why?

It really doesnt matter how long you have been in the Football leagueor non league , You are only as good as the year before , Hence why we have Promotion and Relegation, Its great Clubs who have generally been in Non league can aspire to becoming a football league team , Yeovil/wycombe Scarborough Boston united Forest Green and now Harrogate, If you are a supporter of Clubs like this it would be what you have been Dreaming off,

As for Lincoln City's history, lets look at another way. For all but 24 years of a very long history this club has been in the bottom division of English League football and for 10 weren't even it, including the 3 years we were voted out.

Our historic level therefore, is Division 4.

While that's technically correct I wouldn't say its accurate. Except for two seasons, we were in the second tier of English football (top 40 clubs) between 1891-92 and 1919-20. At this time the Southern League was very strong (and at one time included northern clubs such as Bradford Park Avenue, Stoke and Stalybridge Celtic), so not as if it was a bottom division within English professional football. Its only from 1920 when the FL effectively annexed the Southern League First Division that it becomes a truly national competition.

Our historic level to 1961 is tier two (including the Football Alliance season, we had spent 35 of 59 seasons at that level). Its only since 1961 we've been a tier four club.

I really don't get the need to post on other clubs websites. Why do people always worry about what other people think tbh I couldn't give a toss what the Codheads, the Mackems, the Posh or anybody think!

It doesn't matter does it? What matters is what happens on the pitch and at the moment we are top and that's all that matters to me.

I think one of the downsides of social media is that it's created this look at me mentality and the need to gloat. I am sorry but I was brought up up never to gloat and never to rub peoples faces in it when I or the things I support do well. Because what goes around comes around! Just enjoy the moment and enjoy the success. I bet all these people wouldn't be posting on rivals boards when we were crap.

I know let's start a thread about who has got the nicest most expensive car then those that have can gloat and laugh at those that can only afford a banger!!:rolleyes:

As my dad taught me me "Lose with Grace but win with class.

While that's technically correct I wouldn't say its accurate. Except for two seasons, we were in the second tier of English football (top 40 clubs) between 1891-92 and 1919-20. At this time the Southern League was very strong (and at one time included northern clubs such as Bradford Park Avenue, Stoke and Stalybridge Celtic), so not as if it was a bottom division within English professional football. Its only from 1920 when the FL effectively annexed the Southern League First Division that it becomes a truly national competition.

Our historic level to 1961 is tier two (including the Football Alliance season, we had spent 35 of 59 seasons at that level). Its only since 1961 we've been a tier four club.

"Only since 1961" just the 59 years then, a blink of a young girls eye as The Boss would say...

I share your frustration with other forums posting ignorant comments about us. I struggle sometimes to keep quiet when people do so myself and if it weren't so much effort to sign up to some of these forums, I probably would reply myself, however...

Its not just the Sunderland forum I have seen you need to comment on. Having a read of the Grimsby forum I dont understand almost every time we have a good result you feel the need to go rub their noses in it, without any real prompts. You bumped a thread thirteen days without a post to tell them we beat Portsmouth... Why?

Its personal for me with our fishy 'friends' .... rather than take the proverbial out of them after another defeat, a gloat after another excellent victory by The Imps is more subtle.

I can't help thinking that some people are missing the point. The implication that supporters from different clubs should not communicate is ludicrous in the extreme.

Fans have always interacted - call it banter if you have to - which has always been an enjoyable part of my personal football experience. Whether in a pub before or after a game, on a bus or train, it is always interesting to hear what opposing fans are saying, to get their perspective. As things stand, we cannot do that because we cannot go to matches or do anything else on a social level. So does that mean we should simply ignore everyone else and exist within an insular Lincoln City bubble?

Fansites provide a valuable service in numerous ways, and that is heightened right now. Personally, I welcome visiting supporters to Vital Lincoln City if they have something to contribute - the MK Dons fan who took the time to give us some information about Regan Poole, for example. It makes the site richer and more engaging. I may occasionally post on another site if I have something worthwhile to offer, and hopefully it all makes the football world a better place to be.

We do have a few visiting fans on here, and long may that continue.

Couldn't agree more @Scotimp. I know @Luke Imp, @Davidimp and a few others post with me on TFF, which sadly seems to be less used by other clubs' supporters the further up the pyramid we climb. In the Conference in particular it was a great place to interact with other clubs' supporters and get a better understanding of the situation for them, as well as some gentle ribbing of course. I'm an exile and don't get to many games in person because of family and work commitments, so maybe that's why I'm more open to this than others, but in the present situation it's the only interaction we have with the opposition, as you say.

Just amuses me when the fan of another club feels the need to resort to name-calling instead of focussing on the plight of their own club. Football has been in existence for well over 100 years and there are very few clubs that have stayed in the same league all their existence. I recall the Mighty Man City in the third tier not that long ago so it happens to the best teams. Perspective and respect.

Its personal for me with our fishy 'friends' .... rather than take the proverbial out of them after another defeat, a gloat after another excellent victory by The Imps is more subtle.
Roles could be reversed some time in the future like James Bond's number plates

I understand what you're saying, but we took enough stick when we went down to the Conference, so now it's time to give it back. I grew up in the '90s when the Cods were in what's now the Championship (the days they keep harking back to now as if it's their natural level) and there were a few Grimsby fans at school that lorded it over us Imps fans. It's nice the tables have seemingly turned and I am going to enjoy it, in the full knowledge and expectation that these things are cyclical and it'll be our turn to suffer again at some point.