Match Thread: Lincoln City v Leyton Orient | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Leyton Orient

I don’t want to compare to the Cowley days, but how often did they manage to win when it was, realistically, unjustified and unfair? Ultimately, who cares? 3 points is all that matters.

Funny you should say that, but the current manager and the current connection with the crowd, along with the performances on the field, are reminding me more and more of the Cowley era.

Not at all saying that Skoobs is not his own man, but something special is building again.

I was very surprised how Orient set themselves up and played for the majority of that match, was it the fear factor?

Given that a draw was pretty much no good and it was a match they really needed win to keep any lingering PO hopes intact, I found it strange. With the season they are having, their league placing and the time in the season, it was a free hit for them "to give it a go". Their tactics and set up handed that match to the Imps in my opinion and they were clearly influenced by Lincoln's previous 3 matches.

Had they been set up more adventurously the outcome could have been very different - but, the old adages are the best; "good teams always find a way of winning even when not playing their best" and that is what the Imps did and season keeps rolling on.

I was very surprised how Orient set themselves up and played for the majority of that match, was it the fear factor?

Given that a draw was pretty much no good and it was a match they really needed win to keep any lingering PO hopes intact, I found it strange. With the season they are having, their league placing and the time in the season, it was a free hit for them "to give it a go". Their tactics and set up handed that match to the Imps in my opinion and they were clearly influenced by Lincoln's previous 3 matches.

Had they been set up more adventurously the outcome could have been very different - but, the old adages are the best; "good teams always find a way of winning even when not playing their best" and that is what the Imps did and season keeps rolling on.
I thought they gave it a go. We would have been happy to come away with a point. They were unlucky, I thought they played an outstanding game, to their strengths. They looked like they could get a good chance whenever they got a throw in the final third and they won most second balls around the area. I don't think they can be accused of not giving it a go!

i thought their tactics were very successful up until the 90th minute. started cautiously, but their subs and four up front from about 80 minutes showed the aim was to stay in the game for the majority and then go for it. not surprising when you consider our last three results.

if anyone in our midfield was aiming to keep erhahon out of monday’s 11 it wasn’t obvious. slightly concerning what we looked like with just that one player missing. no more red cards please ethan.

house didn’t look fit to me, and i was surprised makama was relegated to third choice forward sub, but he answered that perfectly. uti.

6th! so now monday becomes the biggest game yet.
Watching on ifollow only... but I thought House was one of the better players and appeared to put in a real shift.

To be honest, I thought Orient came with a plan to stop us but not much more; they were very limited and struggled to create much beyond shots from outside the box. They have now scored one goal in five games and it shows.
I think it was the Stacey West blog pre-match, who were talking stats about Orient and they said everything supported them scoring only odd goals from distance and they miss a lot of the opportunities they create. Sounds like they were playing to form.

I thought they gave it a go. We would have been happy to come away with a point. They were unlucky, I thought they played an outstanding game, to their strengths. They looked like they could get a good chance whenever they got a throw in the final third and they won most second balls around the area. I don't think they can be accused of not giving it a go!

Caveat, I have to say I watched on iFollow and I know that does not always give the full and proper impression. But, I what I saw foremost was a side trying to stop the Imps playing for 75/80 mins and being circumspect going forward and most of the time making sure they had bodies behind the ball, that's what I mean by being by not giving it a go. I was a little surprised they were not more adventurous given they had very little to lose and lot to gain and I would have thought a more expansive approach straight after half time and they could possibly have been rewarded and made the Imps pay for not being as good as they have been recently.

But, hey ho, all that matters is the history books will record Lincoln City 1 - Leyton Orient 0.

Caveat, I have to say I watched on iFollow and I know that does not always give the full and proper impression. But, I what I saw foremost was a side trying to stop the Imps playing for 75/80 mins and being circumspect going forward and most of the time making sure they had bodies behind the ball, that's what I mean by being by not giving it a go. I was a little surprised they were not more adventurous given they had very little to lose and lot to gain and I would have thought a more expansive approach straight after half time and they could possibly have been rewarded and made the Imps pay for not being as good as they have been recently.

But, hey ho, all that matters is the history books will record Lincoln City 1 - Leyton Orient 0.
They probably thought keeping it tight and sneaking 1 - was a more likely route to victory than out scoring a side who scored 16 in the last 3. Seems a reasonable strategy.

Thought they were a credit to their club today. Deserved something, (although I also think it was karma on Beckles for his many fouls). Their fans were fantastic and travelled in great number. They played good football and look more than a solid enough football team at this level. Think that may be 2 underserved losses against us this season.

Thought they were a credit to their club today. Deserved something, (although I also think it was karma on Beckles for his many fouls). Their fans were fantastic and travelled in great number. They played good football and look more than a solid enough football team at this level. Think that may be 2 underserved losses against us this season.
Not sure on the played great football bit. They battled well, were well disciplined, well set up and organised but very limited in the final third. Their goal tally for the season would say that was a typical performance with a lot of 1-0 results either way. All 3 games against them have been hard slog fests with 2 late individual opportunist goals for us getting the so vital 6 points.
I enjoyed watching their number 8, Jordan Brown, he looked a good player in all of our matches. Only 22, he was released by Derby and signed for Orient in January 2022. Being from the East Midlands it’s a fair chance Scubala was aware of him in his junior days. The highs and lows of football, despite all of his good play his biggest contribution was being disposed by Makama to score the goal.