Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 120 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

Rebrov signed for the wrong club at the wrong time.
He was a great player.
Just too quick of a thinker for the Midfielders he had behind him for us at the time.
I was at his debut and we all said at the time 'He's too good for us'.
He was making runs and shaking his head at the tatics we were playing.
I was at Pitbull's debut and said exactly the same ... we r only joking :yes:

Rebrov signed for the wrong club at the wrong time.
He was a great player.
Just too quick of a thinker for the Midfielders he had behind him for us at the time.
I was at his debut and we all said at the time 'He's too good for us'.
He was making runs and shaking his head at the tatics we were playing.
I recall that game well - he was forever looking up in the sky as the long punts from the back sailed over everyones head - God we played shit football then, and that was Graham in charge lol!

Then we got Glen..

Fcuk me, we played some shit and had some shit players then.

I recall that game well - he was forever looking up in the sky as the long punts from the back sailed over everyones head - God we played shit football then, and that was Graham in charge lol!

Then we got Glen..

Fcuk me, we played some shit and had some shit players then.
I think we had Tim, Steffan Davies and Etherington for much of that season.
Classic midfield.

I think we had Tim, Steffan Davies and Etherington for much of that season.
Classic midfield.
I don't think it was that awful, I quite rated them all individually! Shame we were so shit at the time.

Do you remember when we couldn't replace Etherington as a left footed winger, ever? I recall we were fantasising about signing Stuart Downing for years!

I would have never ever ever have remembered Etherington if you had not posted that .,

Now you've got me thinking. Didn't Etherington and Davies sign from Posh the year that we bought the Ginger Pele and Anthony Gardner? I think there were another couple of signings as well.

David Pleat's took the credit for all of these wonderful signings and then suddenly went quiet.

Now you've got me thinking. Didn't Etherington and Davies sign from Posh the year that we bought the Ginger Pele and Anthony Gardner? I think there were another couple of signings as well.

David Pleat's took the credit for all of these wonderful signings and then suddenly went quiet.
Kin ell, it’s like you never remember the days it rained on your holidays .

We have had some dodgy deals going on .

I don’t think I will ever complain about Sissoko again .

Always makes me laugh how Les Ferdinand got away with it. It seems like Rebrov took all the flak for that terrible partnership. Like Dawson, Davies and many more since, Les could do no wrong.

It wasn't Rebrov that cost us the cup final against Blackburn. Dim Tim didn't cover himself in glory either.

Les was at least competent. Not great. We had some terrible strikers post sheringham/Klinsmann up until Keane arrived.

I remember things being so bad for us in defence, I got excited When Chris Perry signed for us.

Keep your fingers crossed, word is we still can't nail him and his advisors to a deal...so not looking so great at the mo, but this could of course change in a heartbeat...

‘Norwegian Neymar’ Nusa could be fan-thrilling coup for Tottenham​

Club Brugge’s Antonio Nusa is a rough diamond but Ange Postecoglou could help polish him into his perfect winger
By Ben McAleer for WhoScored

Ben McAleer
Wed 24 Jan 2024 08.20 GMTLast modified on Wed 24 Jan 2024 22.15 GMT

Having added Timo Werner to the ranks this month, you’d be hard pressed to find a Tottenham supporter who believed another forward would be the priority in January. With a new centre-back, Radu Dragusin, also on the books, many believed Spurs would target another central midfielder before the transfer window closed.

Yet when there is a deal to be done to secure one of the most promising young wingers in Europe, you don’t wait around. Reports last week suggested Spurs were close to an agreement with the Belgian side Club Brugge for their teenage sensation Antonio Nusa. The Norway international is wanted by Chelsea, who had a deadline-day offer for the 18-year-old rejected in the summer.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/23/victor-osimhen-nigeria-napoli-africa-cup-of-nations
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/23/victor-osimhen-nigeria-napoli-africa-cup-of-nations
While Chelsea will likely look to try again for the player, Spurs appear to be the frontrunners to secure his services. A deal is expected to allow Nusa to remain in Belgium for the rest of the season but, in the long run, it’s an agreement that would undoubtedly suit the north London side. One of the main reasons Spurs are seeking to strike a deal this month is for fear that they might miss their chance to land the “Norwegian Neymar” further down the line.

The nickname is undoubtedly justified, with Nusa ranking top for dribbles per 90 minutes (5.1) in the 2023-24 Belgian Pro League campaign. In truth, Spurs have been missing a player of Nusa’s skills on the left flank for quite some time. Yes, Ange Postecoglou has Son Heung-min and now Werner to operate on the left, two pacy forwards, but the pair are better suited playing off the shoulder of the last defender, maximising their speed off the ball to provide a penetrative goal threat from wide.

Nusa is a player who will hog the touchline to stretch the play. He’ll stay out wide as an outlet before driving forward in possession when picked out by a teammate. The sound of seats springing back as fans rise to their feet when Nusa looks to beat an opponent could become a familiar backing track at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium if the club get their man.

Crucially, Nusa doesn’t have a preferred foot. His right is arguably stronger than his left, with the teenage winger favouring to cut infield, but his two-footedness adds to the unpredictability around him. Markers will tie themselves in knots in their efforts to keep him at bay.

Nusa’s 5.1 successful dribbles per 90 is the most in Belgium’s top tier, yet a success rate of 49.4% highlights an area to his game that requires refinement. Then again, given his age, Nusa is still a boy playing a man’s game. With the right coaching the rough edges can be smoothed out.

That’s not to say that Nusa’s inexperience is adversely affecting his decision-making. Three goals and two assists may not make for a great record but, for a player who has registered just 710 minutes of league action this season, that’s a direct involvement every 142 minutes of game time. In truth, his teammates’ profligacy is the reason for the low assist return. Nusa’s average of 2.2 key passes per 90 ranks among the top 25 players in the Belgian top tier this season. He’s able to play a chance-creating pass to a teammate when he does beat a marker.

What really stands out about Nusa, though, is not just his quality in possession but his hard work off the ball. Wingers have a habit of earning reputations as luxury players. When the going gets tough, they don’t get going. It’s safe to say that Nusa is an exception to the rule.

Of the 273 players to have made 10 or more appearances in the Pro League this season, Nusa is ranked 11th in terms of how frequently he wins possession in the attacking third – once every 70.7 minutes. Given Spurs have won possession in the attacking third 135 times, which ranks the club third in the Premier League this season, this hard-working side to Nusa’s game is a desirable trait for a Postecoglou-led team that seeks to force turnovers high up the pitch.

The youngster seems the perfect winger for Postecoglou. While a player’s path to success is impossible to map, Nusa’s ceiling is incredibly high and, in the right environment, there’s little to stop him from realising his immense potential. If Spurs can get this deal over the line it will prove a sensational coup.