The Car Thread | Page 40 | Vital Football

The Car Thread

5 years after Bojo announced we'd be going all-electric by 2030 and effectively sacked several thousand engine engineers me included.
They have finally seen the light and realised there is no chance and reverted to 2035 like the rest of Europe. It was never going to happen that quickly, no joined-up thinking whatsoever

5 years after Bojo announced we'd be going all-electric by 2030 and effectively sacked several thousand engine engineers me included.
They have finally seen the light and realised there is no chance and reverted to 2035 like the rest of Europe. It was never going to happen that quickly, no joined-up thinking whatsoever

The real shame (apart from you losing your job) is that they never even tried to make it happen. It was just a load of hot air.

The real shame (apart from you losing your job) is that they never even tried to make it happen. It was just a load of hot air.
Let's forget the politics mate, it was never going to happen. I did a detailed presentation on battery cars 5 years ago and the bottom line is the infrastructure is not there .
At least now we are in line witn Eu emissions and the timing is the same as the rest of Europe where most of the cars are made. Gives them a chance to develop proper alternatives to Petrol and Diesel whilst still bringing in EU7 emissions to show the world how green these latest exhausts are. Just a shame they have wasted 5 years rushing through these electric stopgaps

Let's forget the politics mate, it was never going to happen. I did a detailed presentation on battery cars 5 years ago and the bottom line is the infrastructure is not there .
At least now we are in line witn Eu emissions and the timing is the same as the rest of Europe where most of the cars are made. Gives them a chance to develop proper alternatives to Petrol and Diesel whilst still bringing in EU7 emissions to show the world how green these latest exhausts are. Just a shame they have wasted 5 years rushing through these electric stopgaps

Do you think electric cars are a white elephant?

Both cars are in the service centre for different things so I've borrowed a car from a friend. It's a first generation Perodua Myvi. I don't think they ever sold them in Britain. They might have been sold by Daihatsu if they still sell cars there.

Anyway, it's a spectacular piece of shit. The accelerator doesn't do much, the brake doesn't do much either. The air con almost works. Even the window wipers aren't up to much.

You sort of forget how bad cars can be.

It was very generous of him to lend me his car and it's better than walking although probably a lot less safe.

Both cars are in the service centre for different things so I've borrowed a car from a friend. It's a first generation Perodua Myvi. I don't think they ever sold them in Britain. They might have been sold by Daihatsu if they still sell cars there.

Anyway, it's a spectacular piece of shit. The accelerator doesn't do much, the brake doesn't do much either. The air con almost works. Even the window wipers aren't up to much.

It was very generous of him to lend me his car and it's better than walking although probably a lot less safe.
You sure it's not my old Allegro

At least its got AC, the poxy Skoda they lent me when my Honda was in for repair never had AC and it was a 2018 model. Poxy overrated heap

Well, 4.5 years since JLR's knee-jerk reaction to Boris's 2030 petrol and diesel "ban" they've done the reverse and want to establish my old department, as they now have a further 5 years of development and test programmes to carry out.
I'm at a loss to know why as in the EU it was 2035 anyway and JLR sell more cars abroad than at home. Next-gen Jags will be all-electric anyway. That just leaves Land Rovers which sells worldwide and still needs IC engines for the ROW as it would regardless.

I'm not holding my breath for the "call" having told them what I thought of their plans at the time

Saw a Lotus Emira, last night on the A456 had to get up close to read the Lotus badge and google it to see it was called an Emira. I have to confess I'd never heard of it

Saw a Lotus Emira, last night on the A456 had to get up close to read the Lotus badge and google it to see it was called an Emira. I have to confess I'd never heard of it

Not heard of an Emira, but nice looking motor from a quick Google.

On the same topic, I pulled up behind what looked like some sort of Porsche SUV at the lights today, but turned out to be a Genesis. I know very little about Genesis, looks like they are a subsidiary of Hyundai. Anyone have any experience of them? As this car is going on my list-of-cars-I-can’t-afford list.