New Manager Thread - 2023 | Page 100 | Vital Football

New Manager Thread - 2023

Is Ange a good appointment as the next Spurs manager?

• No - we should have appointed a pub team manager

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am optimistically hoping that as this is all happening earlier than the last debacle of managerial selection, and it is happening because of suitable ‘due diligence’ though the loss of Paratici does not help (even if he might be helping behind the scenes). The loss of the DoF has not helped and Scott Munn does not appear to have required background in the top leagues. We have gone from an apparent requirement of PL experience required, to apparently 3 preferred candidates with none. There does appear to be one candidate who is head and shoulders above the others.

Ange Postecoglou would be almost be DOA. Barely any experience in Europe (unlike Wenger) and success only in a minor European league which is a 2 horse competition since the 1980s. He won’t attract players, he won’t help retain Kane and I suspect he wouldn’t last the season. I do not think he is too old (Spalleti is 64) but surely Spurs should be aiming much higher

Ruben Amorim has just won the Portuguese title but if some thought Nagelsmann was too young, Amorim is barely older. Whilst he has Champions League experience we need someone who can quickly turn around the culture and get us back into Europe, preferably the Champions League.

The standout candidate is Luis Enrique. He turned down Napoli as he wants to manage in the PL and there is only one vacancy.
He will be free (no compensation).
He is tactically flexible playing both the 3-4-3 and 4-3-3.
He takes no prisoners amongst players so will create the right culture. He is the one name that might persuade Kane to resign.
He plays football the right way.

Yes he had success at Barcelona but we say Guardiola is a great manager and he has hardly managed minnows. What is interesting he turned around the Barca performance against teams like Athletico where there had previously been losing streaks. Messi has called him one of the two top managers he has played for, Guardiola has said that alongside Klopp he is the best manager has faced. Lets not forget when he took over Spain he got them to the Euro semi-finals when in the previous 3 tournaments they had flopped. Link him with a DoF like Ramon Planes who has familiarity with the Premiership and it will provide hope for the upcoming season. He can spend 12months not suddenly tearing up the squad but moulding it in preparation for our Champions League return in 2023-24

Outside Barcelona he has won nothing. I watched his Spanish team and wasn't impressed with what I saw either.

Tippy tappy is not what we need here.

Another big name that will not get the players he needs to succeed.

As a club we really need to stop this approach. Big name managers do not succeed at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

I totally agree RD. His win percentage as a manager is 61.6% but that is massaged by the fact he managed Barca. He is an attack minded coach so will be much removed from the dross we have been seeing.

Gallardo seems much like Poch and also comes from the Marcelo Bielsa fan club. Found the following on Google.

'Gallardo credits Bielsa's coaching methods and Pep Guardiola's possession-oriented, high-pressing football style as his major influences. The fundamentals of Gallardo's River Plate are simple. The team needs to maintain possession, use the counter-press and create numerical overloads in all areas of the pitch'

Not sure how many of our players have the energy, drive and mentality to play his way though. And dare I say it skill and technique.
Interesting candidate none the less.

Only at Tottenham can we keep going through this ….. it seems we have been discussing a new manager for years ………. Oh , hang on , …. We have !
With our ultra football related board ( NOT! , not one of them has a football background) and the time they have taken over the years discussing this , there shouldn’t be a need for any more talk ,

I’m hoping the decision has been made , everyone in the club knows about it , discussions have taken place , the poor Sod has given his thoughts about who he wants or doesn’t want , and we are just waiting to make the call .

If I find out the offices are empty because they have all gone on holiday , I ain’t going to be happy …… I might even be furious .
That seems to work nowadays ……

What is Gattuso doing these days …… did I read , or hear , that Nuno won something , somewhere this season .

I would love to see Daniels contact lists on his phone …..

Outside Barcelona he has won nothing. I watched his Spanish team and wasn't impressed with what I saw either.

As a club we really need to stop this approach. Big name managers do not succeed at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.
Agree entirely, I'd be hugely disappointed if we recruited Enrique, in all probability Mourinho and Conte Mk 3. He'd want better, more expensive players from day one, and even if the Club were prepared to finance them, which it won't, they won't be interested in joining us.
We don't need old school, we need new breed, all the fans can see that, why can't the Club.

Some interesting yet inaccurate comments re: Enrique.

He managed Barcelona B for 3years as his 1st job and got them promoted for the first time after 11years in his first season something Guardiola failed to achieve

He has experienced a lack of success (Roma) and fell on his sword despite having money to spend

He had Celta Vigo performing above expectations in the season he managed them.

But everyone remembers he managed Barca. In his first season he got them the title and the CL. The club spent big but also sold big.
In his second season they retained the title despite having a massive net spend of .....€4m.
His final season was not so good (only 2nd)

And when he took over Spain, they had flopped in Brazil (2014), France (2016) and Russia (2018) yet at his first tournament he gets them to the semi-finals where they were the better team v Italy. The team lacks a striker and thats an issue facing any international manager. He is the guy who has the cajones to pick Pedri and Gavi

He doesn't need money to improve a team and because he plays both 3-4-3 and 4-3-3 we might not need to have a huge initial turnover of players

Levy gave Conte/Paratici £155m last year and whilst there might not be quite that amount for a new manager, Levy will understand money will need to be spent to a) return us to the CL and b) replace senior players like Lloris

Without European football, we will be more attractive as a potential destination if we have a 'name' as the Head Coach. And there will be funds raised as we slowly transition away from players who were favorites of the Italians

Hard to get inspired by him for sure. He is turning 58 soon as well, hardly the younger project manager we thought we would attract.

Unless Monchi does become our DoF then the manager will be his puppet.

The problem is .. his teams are not 'tippy tappy' - his style is described as speedy direct transitions from defence to attack. Hardly tippy tappy

Outside of PSG, Poch won nothing but yet many would be happy if he'd come back

Enrique
For me, does appear a very good aqusition, if we get him.
I don't see him as Conte of Mourinho mark lll,
He plays a different style of football, perhaps more toward what MCity play, he does have relative succuess and kuedos as a player and indeed manager, but without the aparrent ego of our previous two.
I for one would be supportive.

Agree entirely, I'd be hugely disappointed if we recruited Enrique, in all probability Mourinho and Conte Mk 3. He'd want better, more expensive players from day one, and even if the Club were prepared to finance them, which it won't, they won't be interested in joining us.
We don't need old school, we need new breed, all the fans can see that, why can't the Club.
Except the thing that Ennrique is not descrbed as is 'old school'. He has proven to vary his tactics based on the players he has and therefore his teams have lined up 3-4-3, 4-3-3, 3-4-1-2 etc.

When any new manager comes in they always get money. In Enrique's second season he spent a grand total of €4m considering sales and purchases

It is a matter of record he specifically changed his tactics and approach with Spain due to the different calibre of players at his disposal.

It seems we are almost blaming him for managing Barcelona. What should be noted is that he had a better win percentage than Guardiola

Is Guardiola a rubbish coach because he has only managed Barca, Bayern and City?

Last edited:
Hard to get inspired by him for sure. He is turning 58 soon as well, hardly the younger project manager we thought we would attract.

The media is picking the pace up as him being our preferred choice; I can only think because perhaps his Aussie connection with our new MD of Football, and to be honest I can find no one anywhere that really knows much about his modus operandi other than what's already been pointed to.

If this was his first appointment for our new 'rebuild Ver3 era' I expect that it would go down like a ton of bricks—whilst the Scottish Prem isn't quite as bad as a pub league, apart from a few games a season, it is hardly an intensive challenging league either.

I just can't see him being appointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.