New Manager Thread - 2023 | Page 99 | Vital Football

New Manager Thread - 2023

Is Ange a good appointment as the next Spurs manager?

• No - we should have appointed a pub team manager

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost loath to say; before I was all in on us going for Ten Haag - and sadly he's worked out brilliantly for Manure and I thought Slot was made in the same mold.

If we could persuade him to look outside his current club, (and that looks 50/50) I'd go for Ruben Amorim, and if we can't persuade him to look at us, I'd go for Brendan on a 2 year plus 1 year option deal.

I like his football, yes he's got an ego that can be problematical at times, but I think he'd also whip us into shape in fairly short order.

I like the Celtic manager, but he also would be another short term appointment and the reality is we are now a 4-5 year 'project' again, just as we were when Poch came in.

If we go for Ange, the first sign of a bad run and he will have people calling for his head, he won't last a year.

He's 57 and hasn't been close to a top job in a major league, the talk over what he's done at Celtic is over hyped, Gerrard won the league there.

His record in Europe is awful

As you say, it's short term as well

I see that it’s now being reported that Postecoglu is being touted as our preferred choice. I hope that’s just media rubbish as the guy is yet another old coach that has won well in a league of kickers & only 2 teams.
It would represent a shocking lack of effort, due diligence and enthusiasm for us to go for him. Is he someone that would really excite the fan base? I’d offer, not a single chance. Will he compete against the PL best & strike fear in others? Again, not a chance!

Marcelo Gallardo is said to be holidaying at Joe's ranch.....I wonder if...?

Marcelo Gallardo is not comparable to Ange Postecoglou on any level. One is 58 in a month and his biggest job has been in Scotland The other is 10 years younger and has won 2 Copa Libertadores at the highest level of South American football..

Last edited:
I'll not say I'm beyond caring
However, whomever it is
I don't want Potter and not overly fond of Rodgers, but I can see why we may sign them,
Anyways whomever it is, let's give em a month or two before we start the 'gutting process' 😉

I am optimistically hoping that as this is all happening earlier than the last debacle of managerial selection, and it is happening because of suitable ‘due diligence’ though the loss of Paratici does not help (even if he might be helping behind the scenes). The loss of the DoF has not helped and Scott Munn does not appear to have required background in the top leagues. We have gone from an apparent requirement of PL experience required, to apparently 3 preferred candidates with none. There does appear to be one candidate who is head and shoulders above the others.

Ange Postecoglou would be almost be DOA. Barely any experience in Europe (unlike Wenger) and success only in a minor European league which is a 2 horse competition since the 1980s. He won’t attract players, he won’t help retain Kane and I suspect he wouldn’t last the season. I do not think he is too old (Spalleti is 64) but surely Spurs should be aiming much higher

Ruben Amorim has just won the Portuguese title but if some thought Nagelsmann was too young, Amorim is barely older. Whilst he has Champions League experience we need someone who can quickly turn around the culture and get us back into Europe, preferably the Champions League.

The standout candidate is Luis Enrique. He turned down Napoli as he wants to manage in the PL and there is only one vacancy.
He will be free (no compensation).
He is tactically flexible playing both the 3-4-3 and 4-3-3.
He takes no prisoners amongst players so will create the right culture. He is the one name that might persuade Kane to resign.
He plays football the right way.

Yes he had success at Barcelona but we say Guardiola is a great manager and he has hardly managed minnows. What is interesting he turned around the Barca performance against teams like Athletico where there had previously been losing streaks. Messi has called him one of the two top managers he has played for, Guardiola has said that alongside Klopp he is the best manager has faced. Lets not forget when he took over Spain he got them to the Euro semi-finals when in the previous 3 tournaments they had flopped. Link him with a DoF like Ramon Planes who has familiarity with the Premiership and it will provide hope for the upcoming season. He can spend 12months not suddenly tearing up the squad but moulding it in preparation for our Champions League return in 2023-24

Marcelo Gallardo is said to be holidaying at Joe's ranch.....I wonder if...?

Marcelo Gallardo is not comparable to Ange Postecoglou on any level. One is 58 in a month and his biggest job has been in Scotland The other is 10 years younger and has won 2 Copa Libertadores at the highest level of South American football..

Can he speak English yet?

Remember him being touted when we were sacking Poch.

Status
Not open for further replies.