Harris: In or Out | Page 6 | Vital Football

Harris: In or Out

Harris: In or Out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From 1998-2001, he had a very good record. Thereafter he was average in my opinion.

I remember fearing him as an opponent then seeing him and wondering why he’s got such a reputation; he ended up being a bit of a journeyman.

However, I recognise his cancer diagnosis was also 2001, so it’s completely understandable he wasn’t the same thereafter, and I admit I have very little memory of seeing him during his better years.

Either way, he was definitely average in his season with us (on loan from Forest, for whom he scored one in 33 games). He scored six in 36 league games, exactly the same as Michael Flynn. Tommy Black, by comparison, got five in 17.

I just never really rated him. I do quite like the bloke though, and wish I could like him more, but it’s hard when we’re this bad.

Serious question.
Would sacking the manager still be a option if we have no budget for new players and no prospect of getting anyone with any pedigree at all other than non league or ex player etc?
It is very possible Scally won't put in any more money.
It is very possible that Scally feels pushed out .So remember that is a possibility when it come to the interim period if indeed the club is up for sale.
Scally could decide that he needs to keep the club in league two at almost any cost .Equally because the rules regarding investment are so much more flexible in the national league. The interest could be greater after religation. After all unless the investment is almost immediate someone could buy to club and suffer almost instant religation.A crap way to start at any club .
If Scally wants to sell but has yet to find a buyer.He maybe unwilling or unable to put any more funds.Without funds it is hard to see any improvements under a new manager. Especially if it has to be a manager with far less experience.
Those who have driven Scally out against his will have taken a massive gamble.
I wonder how many still would want Neil Harris out if the then successor had to be choosen between Nicky Shorey, The Assistant manager or another Hess,Patto ,Lovell type appointment?

Last edited:
Team is very poor.
Harris managed (quite successfully) at Championship level.
There is NO WAY he doesn't know what a good team looks like.
Ergo, I suspect he's biting his lip in lieu of calling out how bad the team is - as much as the latter would be true and satisfying, it would destroy the room... the one thing he cannot afford.
The guy needs backing. With money, you are a dragon. With no money, a worm.

Would sacking the manager still be a option if we have no budget for new players and no prospect of getting anyone with any pedigree at all other than non league or ex player etc?

You don’t think Alex MacDonald is ready to take it on full time this time?

You don’t think Alex MacDonald is ready to take it on full time this time?
I almost did say MacDonald but doubt he would even want it if it were offered .In my opinion those who drove Scally out have basically needed a deal to be struck fast.If it isn't.............Well Scally might decide that he will bide his time and hope.But more money this year or next I would say forget any significant investment from Scally now or ever again.

Last edited:
Team is very poor.
Harris managed (quite successfully) at Championship level.
There is NO WAY he doesn't know what a good team looks like.
Ergo, I suspect he's biting his lip in lieu of calling out how bad the team is - as much as the latter would be true and satisfying, it would destroy the room... the one thing he cannot afford.
The guy needs backing. With money, you are a dragon. With no money, a worm.

It's a team he's put together though, so criticising it might be criticising the Chairman, but it would also be criticising himself. Yes, we all know the budget isn't that great (he's told us often enough), but he's strangely quiet about the budget when we were outplayed and in all but score stuffed by Harrogate or the fact that Barrow are something like 15 points above us. Are their managers complaining about budget or just putting together the strongest teams they can and competing?

It's a team he's put together though, so criticising it might be criticising the Chairman, but it would also be criticising himself. Yes, we all know the budget isn't that great (he's told us often enough), but he's strangely quiet about the budget when we were outplayed and in all but score stuffed by Harrogate or the fact that Barrow are something like 15 points above us. Are their managers complaining about budget or just putting together the strongest teams they can and competing?

You repeatedly mention Barrow - they actually have pretty strong financial status and the main stakeholder in the club is, ironically perhaps, a wealthy man who lives in the United States. Club owners are unlikely to make public the true extent of clubs` player budgets, but my guess would be that Barrow is north of us - not just geographically but also financially.

You repeatedly mention Barrow - they actually have pretty strong financial status and the main stakeholder in the club is, ironically perhaps, a wealthy man who lives in the United States. Club owners are unlikely to make public the true extent of clubs` player budgets, but my guess would be that Barrow is north of us - not just geographically but also financially.

So you genuinely think that we are in the bottom five resourced teams in this division, which justifies our league position and NH's claims about budget (plus his salary, which I would envisage is nearer the top 5 rather than the bottom 5 managers' salaries in the division)?

So you genuinely think that we are in the bottom five resourced teams in this division, which justifies our league position and NH's claims about budget (plus his salary, which I would envisage is nearer the top 5 rather than the bottom 5 managers' salaries in the division)?

I didn`t say that. Budgets obviously have an impact but are not necessarily commensurate with league standings - ask Salford. I`m simply challenging your implication that Barrow may have a lower budget than GFC.

I didn`t say that. Budgets obviously have an impact but are not necessarily commensurate with league standings - ask Salford. I`m simply challenging your implication that Barrow may have a lower budget than GFC.
They may or may not have (I suspect they have, but don't know for sure), but doubt they have a budget sufficient to mean that they have effectively 5 more wins than us at this stage of the season (and TBF, it should be 6!)

Serious question.
It is very possible Scally won't put in any more money.

More money?

As has been said ad nauseum he has never put any of his own money in. All he could possibly do is take less out than he usually does.

I presume what you really meant to say is would he authorise the club to borrow against the stadium in order to keep us up and protect his investment.

I have gone for undecided, leaning towards out.

My personal opinion is that he ultimately isn't the main problem at this football club. Evans has showed this season what is possible when given a competitive budget. Therefore I do think almost anyone would struggle.

That said, 6 goals in 16 is pitiful - I don't care what circumstances you are working under, that is beyond embarrassing, especially for an ex striker - and does lead me to think that virtually anyone would do better than that - they may still struggle, but not as bad as that.

He is very much getting a free pass because of Scally, but there has to be a point where he is culpable - if Barrow can be where they are in the league, undoubtedly on a smaller budget than us, then the budget can't always be the excuse.

If the rumours are actually true of the takeover, I keep thinking should we hold off and give him a fighting chance, but I am not convinced even with some money he would do a decent job - the players may be turning against him mentally too now, and I just think a fresh start all round for everyone may be the best option.

If there were a credible candidate inside the club to take over on an interim basis before any potential takeover (like the gang of four) I'd be voting out, but given that our backroom team is bare-bones even now, I'm forced to conclude Harris is our least-worst option. For now.

Most of the votes are counted. Broadly:
  • only 20% want NH to remain
  • 40% out
What is most astonishing is that of the 40% that are undecided, the general sentiment is concern that we can’t afford to pay him off, the timing isn’t right with rumours of a takeover or that there are (allegedly) no suitable candidates to replace him.

And all this from what is a pretty moderate forum.

I voted in because I'm not of the opinion things can't get worse. We're not conceding many and if we could just start scoring a few we'd pick up points. Bring in an inexperienced manager and we could start getting thumped and relegation becomes a certainty. I actually think Harris will keep us up, it will probably be grim stuff but rather that than be more entertaining and go down. Having said that I haven't been this season due to having a serious accident in the summer, I might think differently if I had to sit through the games.

He is very much getting a free pass because of Scally, but there has to be a point where he is culpable - if Barrow can be where they are in the league, undoubtedly on a smaller budget than us, then the budget can't always be the excuse.
Lancs above pointed out earlier that Barrow could well have a higher budget than us due to their American owner funding the club.
I think this is part of the issue, people are assuming we have a competitive budget because we may be one of top 10 clubs in league 2 size wise or based on crowds/history etc, but the facts seem to be the budget is actually lower half - certainly not top 10.

Of course he should still be doing better, no doubt, but I think he needs more time and more transfer windows before he can be judged properly. He’s not even been here a year yet, only had one transfer window to work in with 6/7 unwanted players from last season taking up a large chunk of the budget still.

Most of the votes are counted. Broadly:
  • only 20% want NH to remain
  • 40% out
What is most astonishing is that of the 40% that are undecided, the general sentiment is concern that we can’t afford to pay him off, the timing isn’t right with rumours of a takeover or that there are (allegedly) no suitable candidates to replace him.

And all this from what is a pretty moderate forum.

Kind of shows how helpless it all is. We are stuck in no mans land with current owner disengaged and hoping for a new owner to come along and make a difference

I’ve changed my vote to ‘in’ on the basis that were we to sack him I would be disappointed, think it a mistake, see us as being in even more danger of relegation and expect NH to get another L1 job before long.