I hate what the world is becoming | Page 104 | Vital Football

I hate what the world is becoming

Just been to McDonald's Cape Hill with my daughter and two of the Grandkids, my Granddaughter who is 5 hasn't been there since she was two and we used to take her when my daughter was in the hospital.
The same Asian lady is still dishing out the balloons and I said to her do you recognise this one, she smiled at her and gave her and my Grandson a ballon and some crayons.
Halfway through eating, my Granddaughter says Mummy that brown lady loves giving out balloons doesn't she.
My daughter told me she has got that from school, as they now teach them about different coloured people.
I thought FFS for 5 years I've not mentioned colour and neither has she and now the bloody schools have taught her colour prejudice, I mean what that about?
Before when we went she was just a Lady now she's a brown lady, can't be right teaching them stuff like that surely? I know she goes to an all-white school but is there any need to point out someone is a different colour?

Just been to McDonald's Cape Hill with my daughter and two of the Grandkids, my Granddaughter who is 5 hasn't been there since she was two and we used to take her when my daughter was in the hospital.
The same Asian lady is still dishing out the balloons and I said to her do you recognise this one, she smiled at her and gave her and my Grandson a ballon and some crayons.
Halfway through eating, my Granddaughter says Mummy that brown lady loves giving out balloons doesn't she.
My daughter told me she has got that from school, as they now teach them about different coloured people.
I thought FFS for 5 years I've not mentioned colour and neither has she and now the bloody schools have taught her colour prejudice, I mean what that about?
Before when we went she was just a Lady now she's a brown lady, can't be right teaching them stuff like that surely? I know she goes to an all-white school but is there any need to point out someone is a different colour?

Weird that they're teaching her skin colour, surely Asian would be a better way of describing the lady?

Then again, what they're filling kids heads with these days is beyond me. I wouldn't be surprised if she was told she was responsible for all the brown people's suffering and she must feel guilty about it.

Weird that they're teaching her skin colour, surely Asian would be a better way of describing the lady?

Then again, what they're filling kids heads with these days is beyond me. I wouldn't be surprised if she was told she was responsible for all the brown people's suffering and she must feel guilty about it.
That is on the way. And already happening by the way.

They always blame parents but it's schools that cause the trouble .
My other granddaughter suddenly stopped eating anything with sugar in it because school said sugar is bad.
I always referred to her as the lady, not the Asian lady or the brown lady just the lady. That's probably wrong now it's probably "person"
If she asks me why the lady is brown I will explain it but I'm certainly not going to bring it up. She really isn't bothered and certainly never noticed we were the only white people in the whole building.
She did ask me once why is your tummy so big Grandad, I just said because I eat far too much food. Nothing like the truth is there

I don't know whats right or wrong in terms of the teaching what I will say is I'd be more worried about non-experts teaching something they themselves don't even understand. With that said kids aren't colour-blind, they know when they are different, and even now in this day and age they can and are treated differently.

Below is an outline of the doll test which was used to overturn segregation in education in the states. They wanted to test to see if kids understood race and what effect segregation was having. It's really interesting and this is only a bird's eye view, the details are more disturbing.

--

In the 1940s, psychologists Kenneth and Mamie Clark designed and conducted a series of experiments known colloquially as “the doll tests” to study the psychological effects of segregation on African-American children.

Drs. Clark used four dolls, identical except for color, to test children’s racial perceptions. Their subjects, children between the ages of three to seven, were asked to identify both the race of the dolls and which color doll they prefer. A majority of the children preferred the white doll and assigned positive characteristics to it. The Clarks concluded that “prejudice, discrimination, and segregation” created a feeling of inferiority among African-American children and damaged their self-esteem.

The doll test was only one part of Dr. Clark’s testimony in Brown vs. Board – it did not constitute the largest portion of his analysis and expert report. His conclusions during his testimony were based on a comprehensive analysis of the most cutting-edge psychology scholarship of the period.

https://www.naacpldf.org/brown-vs-board/significance-doll-test/

I don't know whats right or wrong in terms of the teaching what I will say is I'd be more worried about non-experts teaching something they themselves don't even understand. With that said kids aren't colour-blind, they know when they are different, and even now in this day and age they can and are treated differently.

Below is an outline of the doll test which was used to overturn segregation in education in the states. They wanted to test to see if kids understood race and what effect segregation was having. It's really interesting and this is only a bird's eye view, the details are more disturbing.

--

In the 1940s, psychologists Kenneth and Mamie Clark designed and conducted a series of experiments known colloquially as “the doll tests” to study the psychological effects of segregation on African-American children.

Drs. Clark used four dolls, identical except for color, to test children’s racial perceptions. Their subjects, children between the ages of three to seven, were asked to identify both the race of the dolls and which color doll they prefer. A majority of the children preferred the white doll and assigned positive characteristics to it. The Clarks concluded that “prejudice, discrimination, and segregation” created a feeling of inferiority among African-American children and damaged their self-esteem.

The doll test was only one part of Dr. Clark’s testimony in Brown vs. Board – it did not constitute the largest portion of his analysis and expert report. His conclusions during his testimony were based on a comprehensive analysis of the most cutting-edge psychology scholarship of the period.

That's interesting, but it is 80 years ago. I do get the reasons why kids would be taught this kind of thing, but like you say, whether it's right or wrong, I don't know. It's right for a lot of reasons, but it also seems to be regressive in many ways too, in my opinion.

--

Maybe I missed ii, but I don't see any mention of the kids colour.
If the kids were all white wouldn't that be a normal reaction to go with your own.

Maybe I missed ii, but I don't see any mention of the kids colour.
If the kids were all white wouldn't that be a normal reaction to go with your own.

They did the test with black kids, they were asked questions like "which doll is nice, which doll is good, which doll is bad, which doll would you like to play with". For the positive questions, the black kids overwhelmingly choose the white doll and for the negative questions, they chose the black doll. The article doesn't go into it but it ran a lot deeper, lighter-skinned black children would argue and say they were white. They'd say things like I just have a tan I've been in the sun.

They redid the test in the 90s in NY, I must find the article but there was still some instances of kids having traumatic experiences and choosing the white doll.

That's just one test, it wasn't just using dolls they did other things too like using coloring pencils but the doll test itself is the most famous and they're all included underneath it.

Things are clearly much better in this day and age. I just disagree with the point that kids are colourblind or automatically won't ascribe negatives/positives to people who don't look like them. Our society somehow gets into these kids heads that they're not all equal and it happens much younger than we want to believe. It happens later now than it did before but they can still be victims of racism.

Whether a primary school teacher is equipped to teach these things is another question. I feel I know a lot about this but I wouldnt know where to begin with kids.

They did the test with black kids, they were asked questions like "which doll is nice, which doll is good, which doll is bad, which doll would you like to play with". For the positive questions, the black kids overwhelmingly choose the white doll and for the negative questions, they chose the black doll. The article doesn't go into it but it ran a lot deeper, lighter-skinned black children would argue and say they were white. They'd say things like I just have a tan I've been in the sun.

They redid the test in the 90s in NY, I must find the article but there was still some instances of kids having traumatic experiences and choosing the white doll.

That's just one test, it wasn't just using dolls they did other things too like using coloring pencils but the doll test itself is the most famous and they're all included underneath it.

Things are clearly much better in this day and age. I just disagree with the point that kids are colourblind or automatically won't ascribe negatives/positives to people who don't look like them. Our society somehow gets into these kids heads that they're not all equal and it happens much younger than we want to believe. It happens later now than it did before but they can still be victims of racism.

Whether a primary school teacher is equipped to teach these things is another question. I feel I know a lot about this but I wouldnt know where to begin with kids.

As a teacher, I'd say this stuff is well outside of our responsibility. The amount of climate change/healthy eating/moral issue stuff in text books these days is unreal. Schools are for teaching academic subjects, not moral values.

Perhaps they should teach a morality class to cover all of these issues so that geography teachers don't have to cover race relations in their classes?

As a teacher, I'd say this stuff is well outside of our responsibility. The amount of climate change/healthy eating/moral issue stuff in text books these days is unreal. Schools are for teaching academic subjects, not moral values.

Perhaps they should teach a morality class to cover all of these issues so that geography teachers don't have to cover race relations in their classes?

Fully agree, thinking on it more it has to come from a psychologist because so many people especially people like me and others can completely mess up the intention.

I think they should know but Betty with her BSc. probably shouldn't be teaching kids about brown ladies and traveller culture.

Fully agree, thinking on it more it has to come from a psychologist because so many people especially people like me and others can completely mess up the intention.

I think they should know but Betty with her BSc. probably shouldn't be teaching kids about brown ladies and traveller culture.

I fully agree that if it's going to be taught, it needs to be done by experts, not maths teachers who can't understand why there is a new unit in the text book about the contribution of native Americans to mathematics.

I'm not entirely sure it should be taught in schools though. Schools are for academic learning. Morality should be taught by parents or religious organisations (who have no place in schools).

Last edited:
I fully agree that if it's going to be taught, it needs to be done by experts, not maths teachers who can't understand why there is a new unit in the text book about the contribution of native Americans to mathematics.

I'm not entirely sure it should be taught in schools though. Schools are for academic learning. Morality should be taught by parents or religious organisations (who have no place in schools).

Yeah its a tricky one, it should probably be an elective talk or something they can choose to do. A little bit like sex education. Obviously, a great case for some of it to be taught in history, from an American view it's embarrassing the things they don't cover but every country's history lesson seems to be national propaganda.

The other thing is who is to say the teacher isn't a raging racist and wouldn't purposely fuck up teaching the kids about this stuff. Nobody ever thinks these things through. Someone suggests it, another says great idea and then that's it a 1 or 2 people just motor on with the idea without asking each other: "right, how does this go badly wrong?". It's like the "it'll be grand" attitude we have to so many things in Ireland, we just assume things will work out even and we power on without a proper plan.

No idea who the 3 golfers are they are interviewing on Sky but they are making a right pigs ear of justifying why they are taking the Saudi money.
Not exactly skint are they one is ranked 374 in the world and has earned 9m on the normal tour ffs one of the others has earned 59m, so I'm guessing he's pretty good.
They are as good as saying they are going for the money