The Leon Bailey Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

The Leon Bailey Thread

He doesn’t really fit in the system, one time that sprung to mind today was when Cash was on the touchline, Bailey was inside but it wasn’t a natural position for them to play together and I just looked at it a bit confused.

Bailey does have pace and power which are two things we need, but he just looks a bit lost playing in the inside right forward position with no link up with the right back, playing in a congested space with players around him who enjoy a bit of tikka takka.

Maybe he had lost pace with his injury. He did worry me when he talked proudly about his "accomplishments" after the Everton goal....an odd turn of phrase in the circumstances.

More the speed of thought and confidence for me - he just looks bereft now.

I don't think he even had a bright start with us, yes the Everton 20 mins when he got Digne to head in an OG then put himself out for 2 months converting a standard half volley, other than that nothing , crap at Watford when on , crap at Chelsea etc etc

He came with a good reputation and proven output in Germany. A couple of years ago he was being talked up as someone who would go to a top club.

It clearly hasn't worked out here. It doesn't help when he has suffered a lot with injuries meaning he has never really got going. On his return he doesn't really look at the races and is consistently making the wrong decision.

The theory behind this signing wasn't exactly bad, it just hasn't worked. If we cut our losses in the summer then so be it.

Such an infuriating player. We saw a glimpse of what he's capable of against Everton but nothing since.

I read that Bailey was a Rob Mackenzie (who I believe still works with us) recommendation to the board who were confident that this would be a good signing after he had extensively scouted Leverkusen players for a long period of time.

He also recommended Son for Tottenham from the same team, and that obviously worked out really well.

I read that Bailey was a Rob Mackenzie (who I believe still works with us) recommendation to the board who were confident that this would be a good signing after he had extensively scouted Leverkusen players for a long period of time.

He also recommended Son for Tottenham from the same team, and that obviously worked out really well.
Bailey was rated by plenty of commentators on the German game, so I don't think it was just a wild gamble. Sancho's been an even more expensive let-down for Manure, so maybe the leagues don't translate, or maybe we'll see better from him next season. He's been a hell of a let down so far though. Looking timid is the most worrying part of it - maybe he's worried about the injury recurring.

He's been disappointing this season but with the non stop injuries he cant be fully match fit. I think you can see this with the lack of pace he's shown over recent games - whether its psychological or he needs to build the strength back up I'm not sure. He's never been a sicknote in his career before now, so I'm thinking a lot of this may be in his head.
I'd probably prefer to see him given another season to see what he can do, it wouldnt be the first time we've given up on a player too soon and they've gone on to do well elsewhere

I just wonder what could have been if he would have dinked the ball over Pickford's head in that game against Everton rather than smashing it on the half volley.

He's been disappointing this season but with the non stop injuries he cant be fully match fit. I think you can see this with the lack of pace he's shown over recent games - whether its psychological or he needs to build the strength back up I'm not sure. He's never been a sicknote in his career before now, so I'm thinking a lot of this may be in his head.
I'd probably prefer to see him given another season to see what he can do, it wouldnt be the first time we've given up on a player too soon and they've gone on to do well elsewhere

What's not going to help is this summer pre-season is much shorter than usual. I imagine we do give him another year unless a good offer comes in which is unlikely. You're probably right about the confidence issue and someone mentioned weeks back it seemed like he was purposely not hitting full pelt.

Personally, I would give him another year, we also probably don't have a choice because we'd lose probably half the fee if we don't. I am definitely losing faith in him though. I am not sure he has the mentality to play to the standard we need.