The Leon Bailey Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

The Leon Bailey Thread

What's not going to help is this summer pre-season is much shorter than usual. I imagine we do give him another year unless a good offer comes in which is unlikely. You're probably right about the confidence issue and someone mentioned weeks back it seemed like he was purposely not hitting full pelt.

Personally, I would give him another year, we also probably don't have a choice because we'd lose probably half the fee if we don't. I am definitely losing faith in him though. I am not sure he has the mentality to play to the standard we need.
I noticed after his effort against Norwich was tipped onto the bar, that 3 of ours went over to him to gee him up, so I’m guessing his confidence is very low at the moment

You're probably right about the confidence issue and someone mentioned weeks back it seemed like he was purposely not hitting full pelt.
Yes, that was me. He reminds me of an Olympic sprinter that has had hamstring and thigh issues, and you watch them and you can see that they are expecting to pull up any second once they get into top gear.
Its mental with him, and that is potentially a bigger issue than the physical.
His pace is a massive part of his game, it's what gives him his edge.
I don't see too much in him once that has gone.

It was mostly the FIFA kids on Twitter who were hyping Bailey up when we signed him. I don't they understand that FIFA is simply a game.

I was too, I think attacking players out of Germany need to be viewed with way more skepticism. Sancho hasn't worked out, Haller and Joelinton were both being used completely wrong in the EPL and Bailey unfortunately doesnt seem to be an upgrade on Bert or AEG.

He has talent but I don't know if he has the brain.

Booed off the pitch down B6 on his last outing. Poor mentality, poor player.
Had his injuries, I'm willing to give him this season before casting him out with the trash. Not sure where he'll fit into the current set up, but, call me old fashioned, I just don't like throwing £30m away. Let's see if his second season is his breakout season for us.

It was mostly the FIFA kids on Twitter who were hyping Bailey up when we signed him. I don't think they understand that FIFA is simply a game.

That seems to be the source of most of the info about foreign players these days or has been for the last 15 or 20 years I suppose. hence me saying "who" to every signing bar Coutinho

It would be silly to completely write him off. Clearly management rate him hence the minutes he got towards the end of last season and likely strong preseason involvement.

Last season wasn't good but the optimist in me thinks he has good pace and skills and ability to strike the ball.

Last season was a disaster for the guy but he clearly has pace, skills and can finish. This is probably the biggest season of his career as when he joined us I'm sure that his plan (like many others) was to perform well for us in the Premier league and get himself a massive money move to one of the super league giants.

Flop this year and thst isn't happening. Its on him to make it work.

Kept reading all this shit about his mentality and attitude, not good enough for the PL etc. :blah:

Biggest issue is fitness and staying injury free from what I can see. The skills, pace and commitment appear to be all there if his body is in a shape for him to show them.

If he can stay strong and fit then there's a player there.

He got a dream move and had an absolute nightmare with injuries. Clearly knocked his confidence, but he looks like he's kept himself fit over the summer and got his head together. Hope he shoves it all down the doubters' throats.

He got a dream move and had an absolute nightmare with injuries. Clearly knocked his confidence, but he looks like he's kept himself fit over the summer and got his head together. Hope he shoves it all down the doubters' throats.
If he doesn't beat all 10 of the Bournemouth outfield players and dribble it round the keeper twice before netting his 1st goal on the way to a double hat-trick on opening day I'm sure he'll be consigned to the bin :whist: