Atletico Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Atletico Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Post Match Thread

22:21
'We dealt with it well'
FT: Atletico Madrid 0-0 Man City (0-1 agg)

Manchester City defender John Stones, speaking to BT Sport: "We know that they sometimes try and make things happen like that and we dealt with it really well, it is not nice to talk about and I don't want to dwell on it because over the two legs we played incredible against such an experienced side in what they do, we kept our tempers and it is easy to get drawn into stuff like that.

"We knew it was not an easy place to come, it is a hostile environment, it was a difficult night all round and how we defended and controlled ourselves over the two legs was incredible.

"Phil (Foden) was such a threat in both games, instant impact in the first and how he drove us up the pitch tonight, gained yards and free-kicks - I think he is feeling it now."

22:23

Former Atletico Madrid defender Kieran Tripper on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I thought Man City handled it well and they are through. They dealt with Atletico's tactics well. They didn't get involved with the Madrid players. At the end it got out of control and Man City dealt with it very well."

22:24

Chris Sutton
Former Premier League striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

The first half Man City were extremely comfortable and second half they were put under severe pressure and that is a really good sign for Man City. It was about being resilient, the stadium was wild. For them to come through this shows you what they are made of.

22:31

Owen Hargreaves
Former Bayern Munich midfielder on BT Sport

If that wasn't Pep managing that team, someone would have snapped, all of those players behaved - I think he told them the fine details and that was incredible.

22:36
'It is well deserved'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BT Sport: "It is the champion of Spain and they played with energy and in second half were better than us and we were lucky we didn't concede. In the first half we had chances, overall we are in the semi-finals - it is well deserved.

"The opponent is so tough, all the teams in Champions League come here an suffer so it is important we go through."

On whether Atletico went too far: "Nothing to say."

On Phil Foden being targeted: "I don't know I cannot talk about what other people do, I don't know."

On City's injuries: "We are in big trouble, so we can't forget we played three days ago, travelled, come here, have a lot of injuries now and I don't know what will happen in the next weeks but today we celebrate because it is the third time in Manchester City's history we are in the Champions League semi-finals.

"We cannot play all the time and score four or five goals, we are human beings - we come from a difficult game against Liverpool."

22:41

This was Manchester City's 100th Champions League match - although they failed to win or score tonight, they are outright second for most wins (55) and goals (201) in their first 100 games in the competition, behind only Real Madrid for both (won 57, scored 202).

Since the introduction of the last-16 stage in the 2003-04, City are only the fourth side to keep a clean sheet in both legs of the last-16 and quarter-final in a season, along with AC Milan in 2004-05, Arsenal in 2005-06 and Juventus in 2016-17, all of whom reached the final (and all lost).

Pep Guardiola has reached his ninth UEFA Champions League semi-final, the most of any manager in the history of the competition (four with Barcelona, three with Bayern Munich, two with City).

22:44
'We had so much desire'

Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke: "I'm proud of my team-mates and all of our fans. We had so much desire and hunger in order to achieve what we've done so far in this competition and now we can be proud of what we tried to achieve here, but we couldn't quite reach the semi-finals.

"We tried with everything we had until the very last seconds. We just lacked the goal we were trying for. We knew before the first game what might happen across the tie and what we had to do. It’s easy to criticise us but we leave here proud of our efforts even though, in the end it wasn’t to be."

22:49

Atletico’s Felipe received his second red card of this season’s Champions League, becoming only the eighth player to be sent off twice in a single season in the competition - Idrissa Gueye was the last person to do so, for Paris St-Germain last term.

22:53

More from Pep Guardiola on defender John Stones: "John was brilliant, definitely. We had a lot of games in our legs and the travel after the Liverpool game was so demanding and in the second half we dropped our intent but we were resilient and we were there and in the end we were lucky enough to go through."

This was a prime example of why I don't like the CL, and don't have respect for it. The ref's can't or won't do their jobs, and they cause the best teams matches.