Atletico Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Atletico Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Atletico Madrid 0 Manchester City 0
City Goals -
City Assists -

FT Stats
Possession
AM 41% City 59% (City OS 39.9% - 60.1%)
Corners
AM 2 City 4
Offsides
AM 4 City 1
Fouls
AM 8 City 7
Cards
AM 2 Y 1 R (for 2 Y) (Simeone Y) City 5 Y (Rodri, Ake, Mahrez, Foden, Cancelo)
On Target
AM 3 City 1
Woodwork
AM 0 City 1
Off Target
AM 10 City 9 (UEFA site has 13 AM shots, City 10 - City OS AM 8 shots City 4)

Attendance: 65,675

Compiled from UEFA and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2034660--atletico-vs-man-city

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2021/atletico-madrid-v-manchester-city-ucl

Starting XI: Ederson, Walker**, Stones, Laporte, Cancelo, Rodrigo, Gundogan (C), De Bruyne*, Bernardo***, Foden, Mahrez.
Substitutes: Steffen, Carson, Dias, Ake**, Sterling*, Grealish, Zinchenko, Fernandinho***, Delap, Edozie, McAtee, Lavia.

Last edited:
"I loved that performance"
Paul Dickov's Matchday Live assessment 🗣

"A magnificent performance.

"We talk about all these wonderful players we've got but we withstood that pressure.

"There was no way they were going to get beaten tonight.

"The calmness they had tonight as well, I absolutely loved that performance as much as I would have if we'd won 4-0."

22:06
FT: Atletico Madrid 0-0 Man City (0-1 agg)

Chris Sutton
Former Premier League striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

I dont think I have seen anything like this in all my years, playing and watching football. To see a team lose at home to get knocked out and the atmosphere is incredible. It turned ugly at the end, we talked about the dark arts, but Man City saw it through. They were pushed, they were tested all the way

22:07

So Manchester City win the Royal Rumble in the Wanda. The Atletico fans are still waving scarfs and cheering their side.

BT are reporting that Stefan Savic has gone after Jack Grealish in the tunnel and the police have followed them up there to try and calm things down.

22:08

Rio Ferdinand
Former England defender on BT Sport

Distasteful behaviour from the Atletico players, they should be embarrassed with some of the antics they have gone on with - you have to say, talking about football, well done to Atletico Madrid as they made Manchester City play in a way we haven't seen for a long time, took them out of their rhythm and their stride. But some of the stuff towards the end was not what you want to see on a football pitch.

22:12
'Extremely chaotic finish'

Ian Dennis
BBC Radio 5 Live senior football reporter

I don't know where to start. It was an extremely chaotic finish. That was such an ill-tempered finish in the game. There were periods of play in the stoppage time where a game of football wasn't breaking out. The support from the Atletico fans was astonishing.

22:14

Rio Ferdinand
Former England defender on BT Sport

Either Jack has said something that we haven't seen or they just don't like the look of him. It is weird.

Savic heatbutt on Sterling
Felipe was enraged by his sending off.
But quite how Savic avoided a red card for this apparent headbutt is another matter...
lcimg-a6821e89-a320-475a-9389-18eeca1ae03e.jpg

https://www.skysports.com/football/atletico-madrid-vs-manchester-city/live/463254

Sky
Player Ratings
Man City: Ederson (6); Walker (7), Stones (7), Laporte (7), Cancelo (7); Rodri (6), Gundogan (6), Bernardo (6); Mahrez (6), De Bruyne (6), Foden (6).

Subs: Sterling (6), Ake (7), Fernandinho (6).

22:19

Chris Sutton
Former Premier League striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

What I would say is second half Man City didn't have the control. You felt it was buiklding for Atletico and then Felipe cost them and it was buffoonery at the highest level. Man City were spooked by what happened.

The main thing for Man City is they got over the line.

Sutton is a plank. Our self control was immense.