Atletico Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Post Match Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Atletico Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Post Match Thread

Ali Mann says that was a straight Red on Filipe not two yellows, but anyone looking at the cards would think City were the more aggressive getting all those cards, but perhaps in future all AM games should have a top referee and that Savic was reported to have committed no fouls over the two games.

I watch the replay late into the early hours and for a 0-0 this was far from a bore draw, but how AM players got away with some of their antics, I can only surmise that the Referee was intimidated by the home fans.
If Ali Mann could predict proceedings and the antics of the AM players then it really shouldn’t be a stretch for UEFA to anticipate the sort of stunts they pull. Even I predicted they would start a fight as the game wound down to the final stages. So given that this is clearly a consistent pattern of behaviour then surely the football authorities at La Liga and UEFA should be sanctioning the club more severely.

The unfathomable thing is…….some of them are clearly talented players but they have been moulded by their sub-human coach into living replicas of how he behaved on the pitch. He has created angry, dispirited, bitter individuals who are effectively instructed to act as they do and in following his template they allow their worse instincts to surface as they punch, kick and intimidate opponents to gain any advantage on the pitch. Some of them must detest it.

What a horrible legacy :shake:

The unfathomable thing is…….some of them are clearly talented players but they have been moulded by their sub-human coach into living replicas of how he behaved on the pitch. He has created angry, dispirited, bitter individuals who are effectively instructed to act as they do and in following his template they allow their worse instincts to surface as they punch, kick and intimidate opponents to gain any advantage on the pitch. Some of them must detest it.

What a horrible legacy :shake:

They must be told or instructed how to foul using the dark arts, Ali Mann says he has watched them many times and it is always the same. A strong Ref was needed

Just catching up with the full replay……..Kev was definitely hobbling before he was substituted. I think it was when he got caught by the block on his shot in the first half after Gundogan hit the post. Looks a sore one and has to be a doubt for Sunday along with Walker.

I think Walker twisted his left knee when he made the clearance - his studs seemed to get caught in the turf as he kicked the ball away. I fear it will could well be ligament damage and as such he could well be out for several weeks depending on the severity :(

Still don’t understand. :silly:
Does that mean Cancelo can play after all?

No. He's suspended.

The way I read it is that suspensions happen after three yellows.
Say a player was on one yellow last night, and had got booked in both legs of the semi, without the wiping of cards in place - suspension for the final.
So, KDB had the threat over him - no card, can be carded in both semis, and still be available for a final (if we make it), is my understanding.

Article 52 Yellow and red cards

As a rule, a player or a team official sent off from the field of play and/or its immediate surrounds, including the technical area, is automatically suspended for the next match in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Europa Conference League or UEFA Super Cup). In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending it to other competitions.
In case of repeated cautions:
  1. before the group stage, players and team officials are suspended for the next competition match after three cautions, which did not result in a red card, as well as following any subsequent odd-numbered caution (fifth, seventh, ninth, etc.);
  2. from the first match in the group stage, players and team officials are suspended for the next competition match after three cautions, which did not result in a red card, as well as following any subsequent odd-numbered caution (fifth, seventh, ninth, etc.).
Single yellow cards and pending suspensions are always carried forward either to the next stage of the competition, to the UEFA Europa League or to the UEFA Europa Conference League in the current season.

Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals.
Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the UEFA Champions League, the UEFA Europa League or the UEFA Europa Conference League expire at the end of the season.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/about
See 2021-2022 regulations.

Thanks Colin - glad someone was able to clear that up.

We will have to get by but I suspect without both first choice full backs. Be amazed if Walker makes it - he could easily have torn his ACL last night. Looked innocuous but then so was Mendy's.....

Just caught up with the melee at the end...... Foden was cute. He knew he was off the pitch so threw in another couple of rolls to make sure he got back on to at least slow things down. He could not have known it would erupt like that.. but his actions show a footballing wisdom beyond his tender years