The Official Oxford United Match Thread (sponsored by Swindon Town "for all your specious rivalry needs") | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official Oxford United Match Thread (sponsored by Swindon Town "for all your specious rivalry needs")

My sons at the 02 tonight watching a band like that. I don't remember their name but am guessing you will have heard of them.

Edit - bring me the horizon sound right ?

One of my daughters was there last night too. Bring Me The Horizon aren't that heavy anymore. They've gone more poppy. I've seen them live before, but turned down going last night for that reason.

One of my daughters was there last night too. Bring Me The Horizon aren't that heavy anymore. They've gone more poppy. I've seen them live before, but turned down going last night for that reason.

OK might be mixing them up with some of the other "screamy / throaty" stuff he listens to.

Mind you he looks at me strange with my musical tastes ;-)

OK might be mixing them up with some of the other "screamy / throaty" stuff he listens to.

Mind you he looks at me strange with my musical tastes ;-)

They used to be a screamy band, but money is in the mainstream... My daughter loves that I'm still into heavy metal "at my age..." ☺️

I do like heavy guitar music but with a bit of rhythm; AC/DC, early Fleetwood Mac, Free, Biffy Clyro, Hendrix etc. I suppose not heavy enough for you, what's your band called?

Siderian

I like a lot of the above too, but I also love absolute grot.

Last edited:
John Akinde is not gonna win any fan awards right now but i`m sure he knows that. As already mentioned, he can be frustrating to watch, as we all know he has ability and strength and we`ve seen him use it to good effect in the past.

But, for whatever reason (probably several) he`s not performing at all well this season. However, as Archie implied - he`s wearing the shirt ! Personally, I don`t see any point in openly verbally abusing our own players at any point in the game - or just after it.

We all know how frustrating it can be being a Gills fan, but shouting or screaming abuse at one of our own is a sad state of affairs. Be critical of the player on here, it`s our territory to do just that and swap views of how we play etc. We`re all different, I appreciate that, but when it`s done at the game, with our team still on the pitch and wearing the shirt, it`s sad to see and surely doesn`t achieve anything constructive - does it ?

Are the supporters who are being critical of Akinde during matches the same ones calling for Scally out? Just a question.

I noticed at the Charlton game that it seemed the ones who were booing taking the knee, were also the same ones who were singing "Scally out". Middle of the Rainham End, Block 4... Not all of them of course, but that's where the same noises were coming from. Thankfully, most of us were singing Blue Army when the lads took the knee, so they were hardly heard.

Are the supporters who are being critical of Akinde during matches the same ones calling for Scally out? Just a question.

Judging by the general tone of that forum, I think it’s likely the same folk. Or similar. They are all calling for Scally out and the last few days are all scathing in their criticism of Akinde and especially his having a go back.

Knee booers, "get him off" and "Scally Out" singers were pretty much all one and the same on Saturday.

Dressed like Football Factory extras, aged mid to late teens with a few older heads in there too.

Doesn’t surprise me. As I said on the other thread, they’re probably the Gate-13 crew all grown up. Twats the lot of them.

John Akinde is not gonna win any fan awards right now but i`m sure he knows that. As already mentioned, he can be frustrating to watch, as we all know he has ability and strength and we`ve seen him use it to good effect in the past.

But, for whatever reason (probably several) he`s not performing at all well this season. However, as Archie implied - he`s wearing the shirt !

I wonder if people would give Akinde more of a chance if he was on an average team wage rather than being the highest paid player (based upon hearsay)? A average player on average wages giving average performances is easier to stomach than an average player on top wages only give average performance?

In defence of Akinde's attitude, he has had his manager telling him he is free to go for last season and through this summer's break. I know if my manager was constantly giving me the signals he wanted me to naff off that I might not display enthusiastic body language. And I get the impression Akinde is maybe more of an introvert than an extrovert even off the pitch.

Where exactly is/was that Davey ?
It was at The Woodlands School in Gillingham, but shut because of Covid. They put prices up so high that the organisers found another venue. As I said earlier it's re-opening on 13th October at Mid-Kent College, Prince Arthur road/Medway road with The Mentulls performing. It's now called The Riverside Rhythm Club and they have a Facebook page for info, they do get some great bands down there so worth a visit.

I wonder if people would give Akinde more of a chance if he was on an average team wage rather than being the highest paid player (based upon hearsay)?

If anyone seriously thinks Akinde is our highest paid player, they really must question the sanity of PS and BFSE.

At the time we signed him, he was a regularly bench warmer at Lincoln, who seemed to want rid of him, and I think we paid a nominal transfer fee.

I am not even sure that he was ever a regular starter here, even when he first played for us. Previous to that the vast majority of his goals were at League Two level or below, and he was turning 30.

So why exactly would we offer him our highest salary, particularly when it probably suited him to return to the area where he started, playing at Ebbsfleet with his brother?

Compare that to Kyle Dempsey, who we persuaded to sign a two year contract after he turned down a new contract at Fleetwood, who somebody said on another thread are one the highest payers in the division.

I suspend my disbelief, as I did when someone posted a chart suggesting that Maghoma was one of best paid players, even though Evans gave him less time than a pre season triallist to prove himself, before permanently dropping him.

If we have been paying silly money to sub standard bit part players like Akinde and Maghoma and they were signed on the request of Evans who then doesn't use them, he can not really moan about the club's budget as he is clearly wasting it himself.

Last edited:
I wonder if people would give Akinde more of a chance if he was on an average team wage rather than being the highest paid player (based upon hearsay)? A average player on average wages giving average performances is easier to stomach than an average player on top wages only give average performance?

In defence of Akinde's attitude, he has had his manager telling him he is free to go for last season and through this summer's break. I know if my manager was constantly giving me the signals he wanted me to naff off that I might not display enthusiastic body language. And I get the impression Akinde is maybe more of an introvert than an extrovert even off the pitch.

Could well be a factor for some, I suppose. Though it`s not unreasonable to expect maximum effort from any professional player in our team, regardless of how low or high their wage may be.

SalarySport published that Big John was on £3k a week the same as Dempsey.
Samuel was our biggest earner.
Maghoma was on £2.5 k a week.

If anyone seriously thinks Akinde is our highest paid player, they really must question the sanity of PS and BFSE.

So why exactly would we offer him our highest salary, particularly when it probably suited him to return to the area where he started, playing at Ebbsfleet with his brother?

By all accounts, Akinde was on a salary between £4k to £5k a week at Lincoln. The season they signed him they were splashing the cash salary wise to get promoted (which they did). He took a pay cut to join us but was still on a sizable chunk of his Lincoln wage. I did read speculation he is being paid between £2.5k and £3k but obviously can't verify it.

And why would he go to Ebbfleet in the Nationwide league when he could join a side in league one???

By all accounts, Akinde was on a salary between £4k to £5k a week at Lincoln. The season they signed him they were splashing the cash salary wise to get promoted (which they did). He took a pay cut to join us but was still on a sizable chunk of his Lincoln wage. I did read speculation he is being paid between £2.5k and £3k but obviously can't verify it.

And why would he go to Ebbfleet in the Nationwide league when he could join a side in league one???

Ebbsfleet was one of the first teams he played for, so I was just pointing out that he is from this area which may have given him an extra reason to want to come here.

In any case, I can only think that Evans believes he can get more out of a player than his previous club did, then realises incredibly quickly that he can not.

Lincoln paying Akinde £4-5k a week was their headache. No reason we should relieve them of it to take on a player that was never going to be a regular first teamer, let alone our best player and deserving of our highest salary.