brexit truth. | Page 8 | Vital Football

brexit truth.

Energy prices going well since we decoupled from the collective price scheme

I'm sure it's not the fault of brexit yet the rest of Europe is paying far less than us these days.

Hmmmm.

Based on what evidence Mark.
I’ve had property in Spain and Malta and both were a lot more expensive for electricity than here.
Impossible to do a gas comparison as there was no mains gas.
We do lot live in isolation.
Pretty well every problem that we have here is replicated in other countries.

I'm sure it's not the fault of brexit yet the rest of Europe is paying far less than us these days.

Hmmmm.

Electric we pay €65 a month , no aircon, just me and the Mrs. We use roughly 250 units (kw/h) per month. Water heating is electric.

Gas is €16 for a 15kg bottle. We use approx 12 bottles a year. Gas hob and push around heater.

I pay £91 a month gas and electric, two of us living here. Also no aircon.
Water heating is by gas boiler.
Central heating is by gas boiler.
My deal expires in January so I’m expecting a hike.

Hmmmm.

Here, in France, as a small family we are paying (about average for the country)
100 euros a month for gas (heating & hot water) ... & 65 euros a month electricity

I’ve had property in Spain and Malta and both were a lot more expensive for electricity than here.
Impossible to do a gas comparison as there was no mains gas.
We do lot live in isolation.
Pretty well every problem that we have here is replicated in other countries.
According to sources, energy in Spain, Germany and elsewhere is more expensive - for householders.
But in the UK energy is more expensive for big corporate consumers.

And reports today described some of the eye-watering costs that UK steel makers have been asked to pay for an hour's worth of gas or electricity - so much so that some factories have opted to suspend for maintenance.

Some price volatility comes from being increasingly dependent on wind and sun.
Which is one of the reasons why "net zero" CO2 emissions should not be re-fashioned into "absolute zero".

With energy prices shooting upwards, it is about time we started fracking. The oil and gas are there so sod the Greens, let's go and get it.

Hmmmm.

I am not sure how the collective price scheme you refer to worked, but the reasons why there has been a rise in wholesale gas prices globally are explained here:

Why are gas prices so high? What caused the UK shortage as wholesale costs rise to record levels (inews.co.uk)

I don't see how the EU could have fixed prices without heavy subsidies, or driving energy companies in to extinction.

Yet another costly reminder that we don`t commodity produce enough in the UK - as HM Govt bows to industrial pressure from another foreign owned provider - this time, of essential Food Grade CO2 ! American owned CF Industries, which provides a staggering 60% of the UK market has today been financially appeased by HMG in a desperate move from Britain to avert a potential disaster.
Equally baffling is that the only other substantial UK provider of food grade CO2 is BOC - the "B" stands for British but, actually, it`s a German owned company.

We might good at producing nests for billions of pounds from the Russian mafia but it seems that we are seriously inept when it comes to producing commodities fundamental to our every day lives.

I`ve posted this in the Brexit thread but, tbh, have no idea whether the problem is related primarily to Brexit, Covid or, more likely i`d have guessed, undependable, untrustworthy and unreliable politicians.

We pay about GBP 120 for light, heat and water in the summer months. Electric alone goes up to about GBP 370 in January and February.

Yet another costly reminder that we don`t commodity produce enough in the UK - as HM Govt bows to industrial pressure from another foreign owned provider - this time, of essential Food Grade CO2 ! American owned CF Industries, which provides a staggering 60% of the UK market has today been financially appeased by HMG in a desperate move from Britain to avert a potential disaster.
Equally baffling is that the only other substantial UK provider of food grade CO2 is BOC - the "B" stands for British but, actually, it`s a German owned company.

We might good at producing nests for billions of pounds from the Russian mafia but it seems that we are seriously inept when it comes to producing commodities fundamental to our every day lives.

I`ve posted this in the Brexit thread but, tbh, have no idea whether the problem is related primarily to Brexit, Covid or, more likely i`d have guessed, undependable, untrustworthy and unreliable politicians.

same issue was highlighted at the start of covid.
all countries should be self sufficient wherever possible in certain areas of national security and security of production of manufacture of critical items.

The source of all truth in the world - Internet

I was referring to recent events and an article which said "Countries in the EU internal energy market use linked auctions that balance prices across the bloc. The UK, decoupled its auctions to in theory get cheaper energy - if the market was full of cheap energy." As it isn't (as demand has increased post pandemic) we are exposed to high prices.

The article then identified "next day wholesale prices" - just a few examples :

UK - 177.05
Fr - 90.18
De - 82.83
PL - 82.83
AT - 92.46

If you are fixed then no worries (short term) but if your energy company can't pass on the cost then they are screwed and will go bust. Less competition normally means those that are left can squeeze a bit more out of us.

Its true that historically we have had cheaper energy but now in the sunlit uplands of post Brexit Britain things may not be so rosy in the energy market - unless wholesale prices fall significantly.

We went through a period when our industries and jobs were moved abroad. Nationalisation and bail out became bad words.

now its let other countries and corporations buy things up or set up shop here and then we bail them out.