brexit truth. | Vital Football

brexit truth.

The thoughts of the boss of Barclays were also interesting:
Barclays urges UK to focus on US and Asia post Brexit - BBC News

Doesn't quite see the promised disaster of the mass exodus to Frankfurt and Paris materialising - what modest movement involved has already happened.

Glad to see both sides claiming victories. It will tale years for everything to unwind.
Apart from the fact that the same corporates and banks will still be sitting on everyones heads lol.

Good news re investment.
I'd avoided pointing out the problems that have already arisen from Brexit until prompted into action by this.
However, the article does state there will be no new jobs. Then at the end there is a report that nearly half exporters hurt by Brexit. Is that the truth as well?

A bit desperate if this is supposed to show the success of Brexit. Oh, and not losing Nissan jobs is supposed to be good.

Still hope I'm wrong about Brexit and as Jerry says, we've got to make the most of it.

Following a report on C4 news last night I've realised that Rees Mogg was right about our fish. They are happy because they aren't being caught by our boats as many are not going to sea because they can't export them. One problem is the red tape which some Brexiteers I know specifically told me they voted Leave to get rid of. Funny if it wasn't tragic.

Still, they know what they voted for and it would be patronising of me to say they didn't.

Last edited:
One problem is the red tape which some Brexiteers I know specifically told me they voted Leave to get rid of. Funny if it wasn't tragic.
Still, they know what they voted for and it would be patronising of me to say they didn't.

I think you will find that export documentation was not the red tape that most of them were talking about. The fact that the EU is all about red tape is actually proved by demanding 71 documents, including 22 invoices, on top of physical checks for one lorry of fish. Similar really to the reason why it took 3 months longer for them to reach a point where they deigned to put their order in for Covid vaccines, then whinged and tried to break a treaty when they had to wait their turn for delivery.

As far as I understand it, we are allowing a lighter touch, and more practical Customs approach, to imports coming from the EU until the summer, hence there have been no reported problems as yet. However, when we tighten up there is potential for the heat to be turned on EU exports to the UK which is a much larger market. Maybe what goes around, comes around.

I still suspect that our approach will be much more practical and less unnecessarily bureaucratic in the name of "integrity".

Last edited:
The EU wasn't all about red tape when we were in it but Leavers pretended it was. Well, now Leavers have got the red tape they've voted for.
Our fish, meanwhile, are doing sommersaults.
:-)

Same fish that were deemed to be OK with minimal paperwork two months ago suddenly NEEDS 71 documents?

Suggests punitive red tape to me.:yawning:

Really encourages investigation in to more user friendly trading partners, or increase in domestic trade, in the long term.

I repeat, Leavers complained to me about the red tape as members, but there was virtually none. Now there's loads. We've left for more.

As for general complaints about 'red tape' and rules to comply with, I remember Cameron saying he'd have a bonfire of it and then we had Grenfell. A sick reminder of why rules and regulations are needed and should be followed. Loosen up at our cost.

Freeports and charter cities coming soon:

This week, alliances of port owners, businesses and local authorities must submit their bids to establish free ports, competing to set up zones exempt from normal tax and regulation.

Proponents say free ports can attract investment to areas that have been left woefully short, bringing jobs and prosperity to deprived regions as part of the “levelling up” agenda, helping prioritise greener industry, and breathing new life into, say, the former Redcar steelworks site, or the Grimsby docks.

But others fear the move signals the creation of “mini-tax havens” and a race to the bottom on regulation, keeping revenues from councils and the Treasury to line the pockets of business and landowners, with profits sent offshore rather than reinvested in the UK.

More here:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...eam-of-tax-free-zones-about-to-become-reality

and here:

https://www.ft.com/content/fdbed687-1768-42df-9917-00d98abbb690

and here:

https://blog.politics.ox.ac.uk/is-the-charter-cities-moment-here/

Last edited:
I repeat, Leavers complained to me about the red tape as members, but there was virtually none.

Sure. Just a book of their rules and directives, drawn up by their overpaid pen pushers at our expense, that would break your foot if it dropped on it.:giggle:

The fishing industry are bitterly complaining they were conned as the new export/import reality kicks in. The N Irish are complaining they have been thrown under a bus following the movement of their border bringing rising tensions and empty shelves.. The hauliers and exporters are complaining that Johnson misled them when he promised a less bureaucratic trading partnership with the EU.
However, these are probably just the teething problems, that the more honest leavers did advise us we might gave for a while. So no criticism from me provided concerning issues like these are resolved quickly.

The fishing industry are bitterly complaining they were conned as the new export/import reality kicks in. The N Irish are complaining they have been thrown under a bus following the movement of their border bringing rising tensions and empty shelves.. The hauliers and exporters are complaining that Johnson misled them when he promised a less beurocratic trading partnership with the EU.
However, these are probably just the teething problems, that the more honest leavers did advise us we might gave for a while. So no criticism from me provided concerning issues like these are resolved quickly.
That's a fair and balanced assessment (from a Remainer I believe). I also expect (and hope) some of these problems to be ironed out. I don't see how the Northern Ireland problem can possibly be sorted though to the satisfaction of most. There has to be somr kind of border somewhere. Out of the single market yet no border just doesn't go.