Sunderland at DW | Page 4 | Vital Football

Sunderland at DW

Ah man. Shame that never worked out. Can’t remember if he came to Eastleigh from Oxford or the other way round, guess he just got swept up in it all. Cheers for a straight answer!
Ah man. Shame that never worked out. Can’t remember if he came to Eastleigh from Oxford or the other way round, guess he just got swept up in it all. Cheers for a straight answer!
No problem. I know he supports Oxford and he tried to buy them without success, at one point. I'm not sure if he owned them or was on their board in some capacity before that, though.

Reactions: GSM
Take a quick glance at the Sunderland forum, and there’s pages and pages of vitriol dedicated to Charlie Wyke after every match he doesn’t score. It’s the strangest and most narcissistic thing I’ve ever seen from a football fanbase on the internet, given he no longer plays for them or even a rival club and, as far as I know, never said a bad word about Sunderland. Can’t seem to keep Wigan out of their mouths over there either, and are celebrating like they’ve won the league because they’re top at the end of August.

Couple that with the bizarre waves of abuse that Max Power gets from them every time he posts on social media - despite only ever speaking positively about Sunderland - to the extent he’s had to turn off his Instagram comments, and it’s no wonder they wanted to leave. Must be utterly exhausting playing for them when even scoring 31 goals doesn’t stop you from getting pelters non-stop. Didn’t they even have fans going after the players and manager outside the ground when they lost in the playoffs? Poisonous stuff.

Another ‘famous old club’ whose online elements, at least, think they’re naturally entitled to be above clubs like Wigan (despite winning nothing for decades) and should be playing at a higher level despite being in League One for years now.

The first one has just broke now. We are also bringing in a goalkeeper from Bayern but he hasn't been announced anywhere yet.

Transfer Exclusive: Sunderland close to the signing of Bayern Munich winger Leon Dajaku - Roker Report (sbnation.com)

Saff, well done, but seriously, why are you bothering to post your transfer dealings on a Wigan site.

Whilst the "Rivals" bit might apply to actual games between us, I very much doubt anyone on here is remotely bothered who your new goalkeeper happens to be.

You're top of the league, where you expected to be.
We're in 4th, only 2 points behind you, and we probably expected to have no more than 4 points by this stage.

Lets see where we both are come February, and then pick up the rivalry from that point, eh?

Until then, I really don't know why you're bothering.
(y)

Saff, well done, but seriously, why are you bothering to post your transfer dealings on a Wigan site.

Whilst the "Rivals" bit might apply to actual games between us, I very much doubt anyone on here is remotely bothered who your new goalkeeper happens to be.

You're top of the league, where you expected to be.
We're in 4th, only 2 points behind you, and we probably expected to have no more than 4 points by this stage.

Lets see where we both are come February, and then pick up the rivalry from that point, eh?

Until then, I really don't know why you're bothering.
(y)

The guys only played 1 game for Bayern 20 years old then was loaned out to some lower club with a view to sale

Take a quick glance at the Sunderland forum, and there’s pages and pages of vitriol dedicated to Charlie Wyke after every match he doesn’t score. It’s the strangest and most narcissistic thing I’ve ever seen from a football fanbase on the internet, given he no longer plays for them or even a rival club and, as far as I know, never said a bad word about Sunderland. Can’t seem to keep Wigan out of their mouths over there either, and are celebrating like they’ve won the league because they’re top at the end of August.

Couple that with the bizarre waves of abuse that Max Power gets from them every time he posts on social media - despite only ever speaking positively about Sunderland - to the extent he’s had to turn off his Instagram comments, and it’s no wonder they wanted to leave. Must be utterly exhausting playing for them when even scoring 31 goals doesn’t stop you from getting pelters non-stop. Didn’t they even have fans going after the players and manager outside the ground when they lost in the playoffs? Poisonous stuff.

Another ‘famous old club’ whose online elements, at least, think they’re naturally entitled to be above clubs like Wigan (despite winning nothing for decades) and should be playing at a higher level despite being in League One for years now.
I look at many clubs forums (maybe too many I suppose) but I must say that the Sunderland forums are some of the biggest and most used in the Uk with topics/post’s changing every minute. I don’t think they have Wigan in particular as a target club as they actually post about most clubs in the various leagues.
I do find it interesting to see what the current topics are especially with the team we are due to play in the next game.
It’s all pretty good banter tbf.
I find it’s very refreshing to go to an away game and have a beer with the opposing teams fans.
Football is truly a great game!

I look at many clubs forums (maybe too many I suppose) but I must say that the Sunderland forums are some of the biggest and most used in the Uk with topics/post’s changing every minute. I don’t think they have Wigan in particular as a target club as they actually post about most clubs in the various leagues.
I do find it interesting to see what the current topics are especially with the team we are due to play in the next game.
I find it’s very refreshing to go to an away game and have a beer with the opposing teams fans.

I like you, Gav ;)

This is my thing, too. I'm currently bedbound and unsure as to when that is going to change, if ever, so for now, I spend pretty much 95% of my time on various clubs forums (mainly Sunderland) and the other 5% in front of the TV.

I have never come across another poster called 'Mutty' and before I seen the name on here I had never heard of that Latics forum that was mentioned with his name.

I have been told Will Grigg has already packed his stuff up and left the club. Not sure where he's going but probably Doncaster.

The guys only played 1 game for Bayern 20 years old then was loaned out to some lower club with a view to sale
Must be shit, then. Only one game for Bayern? Meh, obviously not good enough for league one football if he can only break into the Bayern first team and not cement his place. We should start targeting league one cast-offs to improve our squad. Clearly this is where we are going wrong.

I see this a lot and it confuses me.

Of course we think we should be playing higher up the football pyramid. There’s a massive difference in where we should be and where we DESERVE to be, and due to the mismanagement of the club we absolutely deserve to be where we are now.

That doesn’t change the fact we shouldn’t be here, doesn’t change the fact that we are a far bigger club than the league, and doesn’t change the fact that based on history, facilities and fan base we should be top tier.

The fact you get so wound up about us just adds to that. We are a scalp. We are a team that folk want to have a pop at. Teams rarely try and actually play us at the SOL.

We aren’t entitled. We don’t think we are. We’ve accepted League One for 4 seasons now and are still pulling 30k. That’s support. That’s a club that matters to people. That’s loyalty.

Where we are in the current day may be merited, but it absolutely doesn’t define our club.

Must be shit, then. Only one game for Bayern? Meh, obviously not good enough for league one football if he can only break into the Bayern first team and not cement his place. We should start targeting league one cast-offs to improve our squad. Clearly this is where we are going wrong.

Big European clubs sweep a lot of the world for the best young talent. Some sticks, some doesn't. We've had gems on loan from premier league clubs but also some duds that were never destined to make it. Likewise, our academy has benefit from picking up the best of the released kids and moulding them in our image. I would much rather a Wigan trained Aasgaard and Lang than Dale Jennings from Bayern Munich.

Any road, good luck for the season. I'm sure just like the rest of us you're enjoying being able to go back and support your team

That doesn’t change the fact we shouldn’t be here, doesn’t change the fact that we are a far bigger club than the league, and doesn’t change the fact that based on history, facilities and fan base we should be top tier.

We aren’t entitled.

I don't really think you can say the things you said in the first paragraph and then follow that up with the last comment I've highlighted
All those things really do make you entitled regardless of the fact that you also accept your club is where it is because it's been mismanaged
In my 46 years on this planet you've spent 24 of those years outside the top flight and you've never won a major trophy in that time
Going back even further, your recent 10 season stint in the top flight was the longest unbroken time you've spent in that division since the Busby Babes were still around - in the 63 years since that relegation from division 1 your club has spent 34 years outside of the top flight
Even if history had any bearing on where a club "should" be then your club's history since Castro came to power would suggest that it belongs outside of the top flight

No club "should" be anywhere other than where it actually is. To say otherwise does make you entitled whether you accept that or not

I don't really think you can say the things you said in the first paragraph and then follow that up with the last comment I've highlighted
All those things really do make you entitled regardless of the fact that you also accept your club is where it is because it's been mismanaged
In my 46 years on this planet you've spent 24 of those years outside the top flight and you've never won a major trophy in that time
Going back even further, your recent 10 season stint in the top flight was the longest unbroken time you've spent in that division since the Busby Babes were still around - in the 63 years since that relegation from division 1 your club has spent 34 years outside of the top flight
Even if history had any bearing on where a club "should" be then your club's history since Castro came to power would suggest that it belongs outside of the top flight

No club "should" be anywhere other than where it actually is. To say otherwise does make you entitled whether you accept that or not
Except of course Latics SHOULD be in the Championship, if it were not for the Hong Kong lot and the EFL !

Poor attempt.

I highly doubt you'll find anything like this that doesn't put us in the top flight.

Quite clearly we are in the top 20 when it comes to biggest clubs in England. Not even the likes of Leeds or Man City could match the support we get in the 3rd division.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-have-been-named-and-ranked-20201206.amp.html

Poor attempt.

I highly doubt you'll find anything like this that doesn't put us in the top flight.

Quite clearly we are in the top 20 when it comes to biggest clubs in England. Not even the likes of Leeds or Man City could match the support we get in the 3rd division.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-have-been-named-and-ranked-20201206.amp.html

Attendances don't make you a big club, If Wigan was situated in a similar geographical spot as Sunderland then undoubtedly we would be getting similar crowds as yourselves. I put it to you that we have achieved more success than your selves in the last 25 years, yet we are not claiming to be a "Big Club" just that we are the biggest little club in the world:yes:;)