The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 344 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyable tournament, whatever. What can England take from it? What positives?

For me the standout thing was the way a number of players about whom many doubts were cast proved to be the real deal. Maguire looked the player MU thought they were buying. Sterling looked the player to make things happen up front. Stones showed he was a very good player after all. Grealish when he was on showed that he can add something extra at this level. And so on. This bodes well for the future.

A different sort of positive was the fact that some players were found to be lacking in some respects, a useful thing to know. Foden didn't really cut it, neither did Rashford. I like Mount, but maybe that final cutting edge wasn't there.

And some players who were below the radar rose above it. Saka for example.

Gareth? Worth a go at the World Cup. He got a lot of things right. And he's a very good man manager, which matters hugely when you're building a squad gathered from all over the place. Only in the final did I think he got it wrong; in the second half and most of extra time we didn't have a setup which looked capable of scoring another goal. That and the wrong penalty kick takers.

Eddie Howe, has one of those neutral southern accents they love , young and Hungry , Ideal
yep be ideal or fat Frank if he does a stint with the U21s -
don't think there'll be much/any pressure tbh really - we've three wins from 3 already in qualification and the games against Andorra and San Marino might be a chance to play just 4 at the back with the two holding.
Be in the desert before you know it moaning it's too hot for our lads

Enjoyable tournament, whatever. What can England take from it? What positives?

For me the standout thing was the way a number of players about whom many doubts were cast proved to be the real deal. Maguire looked the player MU thought they were buying. Sterling looked the player to make things happen up front. Stones showed he was a very good player after all. Grealish when he was on showed that he can add something extra at this level. And so on. This bodes well for the future.

A different sort of positive was the fact that some players were found to be lacking in some respects, a useful thing to know. Foden didn't really cut it, neither did Rashford. I like Mount, but maybe that final cutting edge wasn't there.

And some players who were below the radar rose above it. Saka for example.

Gareth? Worth a go at the World Cup. He got a lot of things right. And he's a very good man manager, which matters hugely when you're building a squad gathered from all over the place. Only in the final did I think he got it wrong; in the second half and most of extra time we didn't have a setup which looked capable of scoring another goal. That and the wrong penalty kick takers.
Foden was barely given a chance . Mount was a huge disappointment , waste of a shirt .

Agreed:

England captain Harry Kane has told those behind the racist abuse of team-mates Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka: "You're not an England fan and we don't want you."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57813679

I can only think of Orwellian measures to fix this issue e.g. you have to give your social media profile if buy a ticket to a game. But then you're down that slippery slope of potential invasions of privacy and realistically the majority of abuse is not from those buying tickets either.

Plus it doesnt even fix the problem, we need education, not silence. If you force someone into education they will just go the way of the anti-vaxxers. You almost need every club in the country to make some sort of education package before you can buy a ticket. Again "forced" re-education will be deemed Orwellian too.

Slippery slopes but its clear those who don't want to change won't unless they're put in some crazy situation.

Spent the pooch walk listening to the 5 live evening football show. Sobering listen as they spent the first hour talking about the racist abuse directed at players and the disgraceful scenes at Wembley before the game. Along with the poor on pitch performance , sorry really don’t get the hype of this supposed successful tournament on and off the pitch.

The conversation turned to how Wembley was a poor location for a national stadium and the mass of people funnelled back and forth to the tube station and it was near on a major disaster yesterday. People leaving before kick off as it was unsafe, kids in tears. What a mess.

General feeling was that we have no chance of getting the World Cup 2030 as we cannot be trusted to run it and the supporters cannot be trusted. And now players are arguing with the government

Brought the nation together though.

What a crock.

Foden was barely given a chance . Mount was a huge disappointment , waste of a shirt .

So hugh a disapointment he missed two games because of COVID and still took his place back, we reached the final and lost on penalties with MOUNT in the team, Mason Mounts only crime is he kept Jack Grealish on the bench. If Aston Villa went into the transfer market tomorrow and bought Mount I would be fucking delighted. The bloke is a great player ...... leave Grealish to one side and watch Chelsea against Manchester City he was fucking awesome. For England he will play the roll Gareth Southgate tells him to play, thats not his fault and for the last time WE REACHED THE FINAL with Mount in the midfield.

So hugh a disapointment he missed two games because of COVID and still took his place back, we reached the final and lost on penalties with MOUNT in the team, Mason Mounts only crime is he kept Jack Grealish on the bench. If Aston Villa went into the transfer market tomorrow and bought Mount I would be fucking delighted. The bloke is a great player ...... leave Grealish to one side and watch Chelsea against Manchester City he was fucking awesome. For England he will play the roll Gareth Southgate tells him to play, thats not his fault and for the last time WE REACHED THE FINAL with Mount in the midfield.
i didnt see much from him in the Euros, genuinely baffled by his constant selection

Here's a novel idea, take the national stadium outside of London.

Herbert Ellis was a proponent of having a second stadium in the midlands off the M5, of course the FA are not going to lose their golden titty in London.

But it is a great Idea.

Herbert Ellis was a proponent of having a second stadium in the midlands off the M5, of course the FA are not going to lose their golden titty in London.

But it is a great Idea.
it was the NEC site , geographically 100% correct but the national stadium should be in the capital in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.