The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 346 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do love a plucky loser don't we, Eddie the Eagle being a classic example

There was a programme on the other day about how Britain rose to Gold success in the Olympics. Eddie the Eagles manager at the time was also given the task of turning the Olympic teams around, and he said the man he was managing was the polar opposite of what he was paid to then do for the committee or whoever employed him. From taking individuals who part time wannabes and even jokers, to creating full time athletes with the necessary science and training to help them win.

Can’t see any logic to giving him a new contract. It’ll just end up with a big payout if he’s sacked, as you pay off the final years.

If his contract runs over into the next tournament, what more do you need than that? He isn’t going to get a big Premier League job surely, given how much positive PR the england job gives him from news reporters and all these social media influencers who seem to be able to get the game unlike many normal fans.

I’ve seen posts from several celebs at the game, I nearly put a comment back to Jack Whitehall asking how he got tickets but I have no knowledge of how much club football he watches and to do it on the back of a post about racism wouldn’t be a sensible thing to do. But how the fuck do all these twats get tickets so easily unless they’re paying through the nose?
Just my opinion but because of their "celebrity" status and the fact that they probably hang out with players - hence access to tickets. In life, it's not what you know, it's who you know :yes:. Just think of John Carew and HRH W

Yet more confirmation of Dan's theory that Britain loves a loser.

Could you imagine the Germans rolling out the red carpet for a manager who lost the final?

Kind of true tho isnt it, Ireland is the same, you think about our humour and type of comedy we enjoy. The beloved person on a lot of comedy shows in the UK is a loser, Basil Fawlty and Del-Boy spring to mind. In America, they are the heroes of the show, not some helpless person who is always down on their luck. (not always true of course Al Bundy was a bit of loser).

I think it was a review of the Inbetweeners that made this comparison and why it wouldn't be successful in America.

Spent the pooch walk listening to the 5 live evening football show. Sobering listen as they spent the first hour talking about the racist abuse directed at players and the disgraceful scenes at Wembley before the game. Along with the poor on pitch performance , sorry really don’t get the hype of this supposed successful tournament on and off the pitch.

The conversation turned to how Wembley was a poor location for a national stadium and the mass of people funnelled back and forth to the tube station and it was near on a major disaster yesterday. People leaving before kick off as it was unsafe, kids in tears. What a mess.

General feeling was that we have no chance of getting the World Cup 2030 as we cannot be trusted to run it and the supporters cannot be trusted. And now players are arguing with the government

Brought the nation together though.

What a crock.

One of the problems is they’ve overdeveloped the area surrounding the stadium. When it was first reopened it was the tube station leading to Wembley Way, the train station on the opposite side with just the stadium and the arena in the middle. The “town” of Wembley a couple of minutes walk for shops, food, beer etc.

Now the stadium is in the middle of god knows how many blocks of flats, student accommodations, shopping malls, supermarkets, shopping “experiences”, cinemas, hotels etc you name it and it will be within 100m of Wembley Stadium. Great to have some facilities next to the ground but not to the extent that you can’t even see the stadium when you’re right next to it. It’s too overcrowded for them to police properly and the gives idiots the means and opportunity to loiter around and cause mayhem

Also the policing itself was absolutely laughable, kids probably on apprenticeship wages expected to manage a crowds of potential 100k+ fans, most of which were pissed or drugged up? The piss poor automated turnstiles / ticket process also contributed to some of the scenes too

Also the policing itself was absolutely laughable, kids probably on apprenticeship wages expected to manage a crowds of potential 100k+ fans, most of which were pissed or drugged up? The piss poor automated turnstiles / ticket process also contributed to some of the scenes too

Yes, I know Villa struggled in recent years to get stewards, so then they go to private firms and same as you say above, they end up with 'kids' really that you know full well, could do nothing to control a crowd of blokes.

Kind of true tho isnt it, Ireland is the same, you think about our humour and type of comedy we enjoy. The beloved person on a lot of comedy shows in the UK is a loser, Basil Fawlty and Del-Boy spring to mind. In America, they are the heroes of the show, not some helpless person who is always down on their luck. (not always true of course Al Bundy was a bit of loser).

I think it was a review of the Inbetweeners that made this comparison and why it wouldn't be successful in America.

I've seen that analysis of the differences between British comedy and American comedy before. That idea that you are laughing at the main character in British comedy and laughing with the main character in American comedy. I'm not sure it transfers to other aspects of life though.

Britain has always had the narrative that it is the plucky underdog. Even at the height of the empire that narrative was in place. WW2 is still sold as plucky little Britain holding out against the massive German war machine. This was at a time when the British empire spanned half of the globe.

Does the underdog story tug at the heartstrings of Americans in the same way it seems to with people from the British Isles?

I went to Yarm years ago. Stopped at a lovely pub called The Butchers Arms. Probably closed or turned into a Wetherspoons now.

Status
Not open for further replies.