Euros 20/21 Thread | Page 51 | Vital Football

Euros 20/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've mentioned this a handful of times already but I think people just need to realise that this is tournament football. It isn't expansive, it isn't overly attacking - it's about being defensively sound because it's knockout football. There's little room for error.

France are a perfect example. Look at the quality in that squad, yet they're set-up pretty cautious and safe.

I quite like Southgate. Articulate and press wise he's very good. He's happy to talk any topic and does it with knowledge and a balanced view.

I know I've mentioned this a handful of times already but I think people just need to realise that this is tournament football. It isn't expansive, it isn't overly attacking - it's about being defensively sound because it's knockout football. There's little room for error.

France are a perfect example. Look at the quality in that squad, yet they're set-up pretty cautious and safe.

I quite like Southgate. Articulate and press wise he's very good. He's happy to talk any topic and does it with knowledge and a balanced view.
This.

Personally I couldn't give a shit if we grind our way to a title with dull 1-0s, 2-1s, it'd just be great to see some success for once. Perhaps it is a little turgid at times but I'd much rather us be hard to beat and feature in low scoring games than let any minnow nation put goals past us in exchange for us putting more past them (we're gonna score one more than you....).

I think Southgate's done a good job of easing out the old traditionals who made the team regardless of form, whilst also bringing on young talent without the potentially ruinous situation of heaping pressure and expectation on them. Not really sure why he gets such a bashing. He got us to a world cup semi final, yes against some perceived 'weaker' teams, but that's not ours to control and we still did enough to get to that point. For me it's carry on, Gareth.

You make no progression in an international tournament for playing with style, number of shots or the number of minutes Jadon Sancho or Jack Grealish play in a game. You make progression by scoring more than your opponent on the day and the easiest way to do that is to keep a clean sheet.

As I said earlier, I care not one single jot how we progress just as long as we do.

Lot's of people seem to be of the opinion that we are going to come undone against some sort of buccaneering, explosively attacking team as we succumb to wave upon wave of flying attacking play, well that's not really how teams set up in the latter stages (or even the groups stages) of a tournament.

Until they go a goal down

England under Southgate are packed with youth who are as honest footballers as you could wish to see with many of them capable of playing in several positions making them one of the most tactically flexible in the tournament and able to deploy several different formations as necessary.

How long have the England fans whinged (me included and Chris Waddle since forever) about playing in a single style, with a single game plan, incapable of changing in response to the opposition and their threats and coming undone to the simplest of opposition strategies (Iceland anyone?)

We're doing just fine as it is in my opinion...

Results. End. Of.

Southgate 'boring with little personality'? Each to their own.

He comes over as measured and intelligent in interviews, there's plenty out there to say that his support an encouragement of players is exemplary with Sterling and Rashford being particular beneficiaries.

Criticise his tactics by all means, which for me remain too cautious but are achieving results; any personal criticism of a decent and thoughful bloke feels unreasonable to me, rather him than some overly animated, bullshitting clown.

Last edited:
Can anyone remember way back a week ago when people wanted England to play a bit more like France, Portugal, Netherlands and Germany?

Southgate's a total pragmatist, knows his mind and sticks to his plans. That makes him stubborn and conservative or solid and assured depending which camp you are in.

Either way, I would say his sides playing style makes him one of those managers that has to do very well in order to be tolerated along with begrudging praise. Poor results will instantly be seized upon.

It stems from expectations. If Scotland are happy to be a 'West Brom' and get into the Prem., managing to stay around their fans are happy. England are more of a 'Spurs'. The fans think they're one of the bigger concerns and expect success with style although boring their way into a top 4 finish would be acceptable - in the short term at least.

Early Spanish goal could be a good thing for this game. If they get another quick one though it could get quite bad for the Swiss

Early Spanish goal could be a good thing for this game. If they get another quick one though it could get quite bad for the Swiss
Despite the initial credit, looks like a nailed on OG, pulling ahead in the golden boot though he has the unfair advantage of possibly scoring in every game.

Harsh red but by rules as interpreted.....

But English ref and VAR, say no more. Tough for Swiss now.
I agree, like most of the red cards (maybe all) we have seen....they maybe shouldn't be red but under the current guidelines the refs have got them all spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.