Euros 20/21 Thread | Page 49 | Vital Football

Euros 20/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the same. Is the centre back not supposed to try to win the ball? He got there first. Yes he caught him - as their player ran into him!

Scandalous. I never thought I would resort to the cliche - but football really will end up a non contact sport at this rate.

Undeserved win for Ukraine who did feck all for the entire second half and most of extra time, scandalous sending off the turning point.
Worst of the qualifiers from the groups, and lucky tonight. If England dont win on Saturday, Southgate really does need to go.

I imagine in 20 years time, a player will be required to call a time out, to do a risk assessment before he considers making a tackle

I thought the same. Is the centre back not supposed to try to win the ball? He got there first. Yes he caught him - as their player ran into him!
Pretty much as I saw it, the Ukraine lad ran into his foot. I think it was his momentum and he couldn't stop. However, it was always going to be a red. Studs up, knee high, it looked out of control and shocking in slo-mo, and that's where the call is made. Had the boot been on the other foot, Sweden would have wanted the same decision.
There are some really soft ones these days, but that wasn't one for me.

Absolutely, a terrible injury. But an accident caused by his momentum after fairly and squarely winning the ball. I've slept on it and it's still never a red card.
The change in the law means it was a definate Red though.
Nowadays a player who tackles is responsible for the follow through and has to be in full control at all times. Winning the ball and then straight footing an opponent in the follow through is likely to be a leg breaker or inflict serious injury.

Have to confess, having questioned the red card tackle last night, photo in the paper today looks particularly ugly.

Seeing the comments about the rules requiring a player to 'be in control' in the tackle/interception and in the follow-through, the ref got it right.

Have to confess, having questioned the red card tackle last night, photo in the paper today looks particularly ugly.

Seeing the comments about the rules requiring a player to 'be in control' in the tackle/interception and in the follow-through, the ref got it right.
I understand the laws - but they are just daft.
If the players needs to be "in control" - any player falling over should be booked/sent off?

I understand the laws - but they are just daft.
If the players needs to be "in control" - any player falling over should be booked/sent off?
I remember Jamie Vardy was once. He clearly slipped, lost his footing which took him clumsily into an opponent and off he went. It didn't get overturned on appeal either.

I remember Jamie Vardy was once. He clearly slipped, lost his footing which took him clumsily into an opponent and off he went. It didn't get overturned on appeal either.

It actually happened later on last night where a Ukrainian fell on a Swede, trod on him and kneed him in the head. It was obviously an accident and rightly not severely punished, but there is an alarming lack of consistency in the interpretation of the rules.

On another point. Someone, somewhere is not going to get the help they need immediately on the pitch because players are now overacting to a ridiculous degree and that includes faking head injuries because they know the ref will probably stop the play.

As a thought, what if Eriksson had collapsed just after a fairly innocuous challenge? The ref would have waved play on and Finland would have bombed up the pitch assuming he was play acting trying to get play stopped. That could have been the difference between Eriksson surviving and dying, imagine how the ref would feel in that situation?

I would have thought a proper way to pay thanks for Eriksson not being more seriously injured would be to realise that perhaps dropping to the floor screaming in an attempt to con the ref is not doing anyone any good should that circumstance rise again in less clear cut circumstances...

On another point. Someone, somewhere is not going to get the help they need immediately on the pitch because players are now overacting to a ridiculous degree and that includes faking head injuries because they know the ref will probably stop the play.

As a thought, what if Eriksson had collapsed just after a fairly innocuous challenge? The ref would have waved play on and Finland would have bombed up the pitch assuming he was play acting trying to get play stopped. That could have been the difference between Eriksson surviving and dying, imagine how the ref would feel in that situation?

I would have thought a proper way to pay thanks for Eriksson not being more seriously injured would be to realise that perhaps dropping to the floor screaming in an attempt to con the ref is not doing anyone any good should that circumstance rise again in less clear cut circumstances...
Sadly, it ain't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.