Euros 20/21 Thread | Page 50 | Vital Football

Euros 20/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another point. Someone, somewhere is not going to get the help they need immediately on the pitch because players are now overacting to a ridiculous degree and that includes faking head injuries because they know the ref will probably stop the play.

As a thought, what if Eriksson had collapsed just after a fairly innocuous challenge? The ref would have waved play on and Finland would have bombed up the pitch assuming he was play acting trying to get play stopped. That could have been the difference between Eriksson surviving and dying, imagine how the ref would feel in that situation?

I would have thought a proper way to pay thanks for Eriksson not being more seriously injured would be to realise that perhaps dropping to the floor screaming in an attempt to con the ref is not doing anyone any good should that circumstance rise again in less clear cut circumstances...
Quite correct the one where I can see an injury happening is when they play on when somebody is obvoiusly offside I don’t understand why the linesman does not just put his flag up rather than seeing what happens.

If a player falls to the ground suddenly and without a sound then there is good call for alarm. If, though, on the other hand he collapses clutching some part of his body and rolling around like a demented cat screaming then there can't be that much wrong with him!.

Quite correct the one where I can see an injury happening is when they play on when somebody is obvoiusly offside I don’t understand why the linesman does not just put his flag up rather than seeing what happens.

Don't blame the linesmen as that is the instruction UEFA have given them. It's a pretty ridiculous one as there could be a time when play continues and someone gets seriously injured making a last gasp tackle. UEFA should just let the lino's do their jobs

If a player falls to the ground suddenly and without a sound then there is good call for alarm. If, though, on the other hand he collapses clutching some part of his body and rolling around like a demented cat screaming then there can't be that much wrong with him!.

Basic first aid training. Tend to the quiet one first. They need it

How long before players fake being knocked out? Not long I would suggest...

How long before players fake being knocked out? Not long I would suggest...

The Portugal fella that was punched by Lloris was lying still on the ground. That dodgy ref was running around waving arms at both team's players and the camera zoomed in on the Portuguese player who suddenly took a sneaky look to see what what happening before quickly closing eyes and returning to "motionless" as the referee moved closer frantically waving on the physios medical team.

It was definitely a Pen but we don't have to wait before we see it being faked. We've seen players lying motionless and sneaking a peek for years.

At the risk of upsetting probably 95% of the posters on this forum and specifically on this thread I would like to give my honest opinion on Southgate and England in particular.
I am one of the fortunate people to have been around when England last won anything in 1966 and have always been a massive supporter of England. But gradually over the years my support has been worn down by abject performances uninspired managerial appointments and the so called golden generations(that turned out to be fools gold).
I have stated before that I haven't really watched England much over the last 15 years, because quite frankly we have promised so much ,delivered little and bored the pants of everybody at the same time.
Southgate is a particularly boring guy with little personality and as never won anything major as a football manager. The way we have played in this tournament has been a mirror of his personality, boring sleep inducing football.
Fortunately, for England I have only seen one other team more boring than us and that is are next oponents Ukraine. Ukraine decided to play for extra time and penalties at half time in normal time against Sweden and got lucky due to a Kamikaze tackle by the Swedish centre back giving them a player advantage.
We beat the worst German side I have ever seen to get through and have been very lucky how the draw as opened up for us and should get through to the semis.
Admittedly we have an excellent defence but that also extends to a very defensive midfield. We do have some exciting young players in the squad but most of them are asleep on the bench.
I cannot see us winning this Belgium and Italy are far better and more entertaining teams than us and quite frankly for the sake of Football I would rather see them win it.
Unless of course all of a sudden Gareth takes off the shackles and we start playing football rather than killing the game.
As I say this is my honest opinion and I respect everybody else's right to theirs.
I have put my hard hat on and am waiting for the incoming fire!

At the risk of upsetting probably 95% of the posters on this forum and specifically on this thread I would like to give my honest opinion on Southgate and England in particular.
I am one of the fortunate people to have been around when England last won anything in 1966 and have always been a massive supporter of England. But gradually over the years my support has been worn down by abject performances uninspired managerial appointments and the so called golden generations(that turned out to be fools gold).
I have stated before that I haven't really watched England much over the last 15 years, because quite frankly we have promised so much ,delivered little and bored the pants of everybody at the same time.
Southgate is a particularly boring guy with little personality and as never won anything major as a football manager. The way we have played in this tournament has been a mirror of his personality, boring sleep inducing football.
Fortunately, for England I have only seen one other team more boring than us and that is are next oponents Ukraine. Ukraine decided to play for extra time and penalties at half time in normal time against Sweden and got lucky due to a Kamikaze tackle by the Swedish centre back giving them a player advantage.
We beat the worst German side I have ever seen to get through and have been very lucky how the draw as opened up for us and should get through to the semis.
Admittedly we have an excellent defence but that also extends to a very defensive midfield. We do have some exciting young players in the squad but most of them are asleep on the bench.
I cannot see us winning this Belgium and Italy are far better and more entertaining teams than us and quite frankly for the sake of Football I would rather see them win it.
Unless of course all of a sudden Gareth takes off the shackles and we start playing football rather than killing the game.
As I say this is my honest opinion and I respect everybody else's right to theirs.

Well I'm in your 5%...

I'm not wholly in the 5%.

We'd be happy if LCFC ground our way to promotion (and, arguably, we did under the Cowleys); why not England grinding their way to success?

In the last WC, people complained we got to the semis not beating any decent teams. This time, we beat Germany but that's still not good enough. And England can't help how the draw pans out.

Is it pretty football? Not always, but it's hard to argue it isn't effective.

The Cowleys wasn't the prettiest football but still exciting with plenty of goals.
And regards Germany does anone think that wasnt the weakest team they have had In major tournaments?

The Cowleys wasn't the prettiest football but still exciting with plenty of goals.
And regards Germany does anone think that wasnt the weakest team they have had In major tournaments?
Don't know about weakest, but their manager seemed to have lost the plot.

If you were around in 66, as I was, we'll not be far off age wise, so having both watched Lincoln over the years, we cannot be described as glory hunters and have experienced more false dawns and disappointments than euphoria! Similarly with England. But I believe Southgate and his squad are a work in progress, at the beginning of a journey, and am prepared to give him time and the benefit of the doubt to see how that pans out, in terms of both style and results

In terms of personality, I don't think Sir Alf was particularly charismatic, and as alluded to by a previous poster, the "wingless wonders" approach was widely criticised. But we won the world cup. Only Bobby Robson has really come close since then

So I'm prepared to watch tedious games, set up not to concede, if we make progress, because all we all want is to win - or get near to winning - a major trophy

Meanwhile, for entertainment, I look forward to getting back to watching LCFC and local non-league football

Exciting? Plenty of goals? Time for retrospective appraisal, I think. Exciting because we were winning perhaps, which will always be a novelty, but in terms of football there were plenty of dull grind victories in our L2 championship season. On only seven occasions did we score more than two goals in the league and we won the title with a 0-0. Most of our success was down to human battering rams and attrition. Port Vale, Crawley and MK (obvs) stand out, all away, but other than that... ?

As for Southgate being dull, well that's for you to decide I guess. I find him one of the most articulate, reasonable and reasoned people in football. He's had more success than any England manager since 1996 - and arguably more than Telly Vegetables, placing his faith in kids and rejecting the old guard mentality of so many who came before him. His letter to the nation before the Euros was heartfelt, emotional and genuine. I could only imagine from the team's recent past Bobby Robson doing the same thing, and hitting the same notes with the same clarity. Not much of that left in football.

Last edited:
Personally I couldn't give a shit if we grind our way to a title with dull 1-0s, 2-1s, it'd just be great to see some success for once. Perhaps it is a little turgid at times but I'd much rather us be hard to beat and feature in low scoring games than let any minnow nation put goals past us in exchange for us putting more past them (we're gonna score one more than you....).

I think Southgate's done a good job of easing out the old traditionals who made the team regardless of form, whilst also bringing on young talent without the potentially ruinous situation of heaping pressure and expectation on them. Not really sure why he gets such a bashing. He got us to a world cup semi final, yes against some perceived 'weaker' teams, but that's not ours to control and we still did enough to get to that point. For me it's carry on, Gareth.

Status
Not open for further replies.