Euros 20/21 Thread | Vital Football

Euros 20/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norfolk Imp

Vital 1st Team Regular
It’s hardly 1996 is it, have Baddiel & Skinner been rolled out again even? but the Euros are just around the corner with up to 3 matches per day for your viewing delight.

Looking at the England squad, it’s full of talent but I’m not sure Southgate is the man to get the best out of it?

8BA5657D-A273-4DF8-997A-9C27D513488D.jpeg

I haven’t been to a tournament since Sweden 92’ so not too fussed about the National side these days. I suppose if we/they get to the semis like the last World Cup my interest will increase?

Thoughts please, on England or other countries taking part?

Last edited:
CB worries me. We've struggled there since the 00's when we had Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, Campbell etc.

I'm not convinced with the GK's either. I think Henderson has a higher opinion of himself that it warrants and Pickford has had a bit of a mare of a season.

Tonnes of quality in wide areas, though. Pleased to see Bellingham in.

Although the talk is around 4x RB's being in the squad, I think with Walker and James being able to play right of a back three if needed and the depth of CB options being poor, it makes sense.

CB worries me. We've struggled there since the 00's when we had Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, Campbell etc.

I'm not convinced with the GK's either. I think Henderson has a higher opinion of himself that it warrants and Pickford has had a bit of a mare of a season.

Me too, especially if Maguire isn't fit ... John Stones has gone back to type recently after a good season alongside Dias.

Must be a sign of the times and my total lack of interest in the Premier League, or just me getting old, but looking at that squad, I’ve never even heard of at least five of them. Didn’t even know we were playing tonight until I looked at the TV guide!!
That said, with the games being on normal TV, and three home nations involved, the Euros will be the perfect tonic to get rid of the play-off blues and get me ready for the new season. 😀

CB worries me.
At least RB is OK.

Opponents will be worried about our attack, just need to get them playing together at the highest level. We always end up being too cautious and run into a 0-0/1-1 draw and shootout knockout.

I love it to be honest, it fills that gap between the seasons end and start a treat. In normal times, the years without a tournament make for a long summer. It'll always be club over country for me hence no major traumas when we inevitably fail, but keeps my football fix going till the real thing. And I'm actually fairly optimistic about our squad, more than capable of reaching the semis.

I'm admittedly completely out of touch with top flight football, but five midfielders, inc. Henderson who is injured and isn't Bellingham really young? Then again perhaps the excess of RBs means flexibility in covering other positions if needed. I really don't know so feel free to tell me why I'm wrong!

Personally I always enjoy international tournaments regardless of how England do. It always feels so different to club football, getting to see a wider range of talent levels within each nation's team. I think it was 2014 when I watched most of the matches (albeit skipping ahead through recordings of some less interesting ones at times), definitely won't get away with that this time!

I really enjoy these tournaments as well. Free to air Internationals over the summer. What's not to like. Even the missus doesn't mind North Macedonia v Austria in a prime time slot.

England's chances will all depend upon Southgate giving the talent the chance to shine. Let them off the leash. Start with Foden, Sancho and Grealish rather than Henderson or Rice and we can outscore any team. We just might have to try and win every game 4-3 rather than 1-0

I'll see how I feel once it gets going but the decision to move away from one host country to hosting games all across the continent is a huge turn-off for me. I always like how a tournament takes on an identity from its host nation and the local factors, and this just makes it hard to identify with the tournament for me. Sounds daft but think of Italia '90, France '98, Euro '96 over here etc. I enjoy learning a bit about the host nation and this takes that away. Also seems to be hugely wasteful flying teams all around the continent (and in normal times, fans too).

I'm admittedly completely out of touch with top flight football, but five midfielders, inc. Henderson who is injured and isn't Bellingham really young

The way they've spaced out the players is a bit odd. Grealish, Foden, Sako are not strikers and would slot into the middle. Sako is even a pretty decent left back. Sancho and Sterling are wide players in reality. There's only really Kane and Calvert-Lewin who you would say are number 9's. Bellingham is a talent and could do very well in this tournament

I'll see how I feel once it gets going but the decision to move away from one host country to hosting games all across the continent is a huge turn-off for me. I always like how a tournament takes on an identity from its host nation and the local factors, and this just makes it hard to identify with the tournament for me. Sounds daft but think of Italia '90, France '98, Euro '96 over here etc. I enjoy learning a bit about the host nation and this takes that away. Also seems to be hugely wasteful flying teams all around the continent (and in normal times, fans too).

Yeah a fair point, was this in place pre-Covid or a recent decision?

Yeah a fair point, was this in place pre-Covid or a recent decision?

The decision to have a pan-european base was made years ago. An odd little idea by Monsieur Platini, who I'm sure was well paid by all countries for the suggestion. I agree that it should be based in 1 or possibly 2 countries only.

The way they've spaced out the players is a bit odd. Grealish, Foden, Sako are not strikers and would slot into the middle. Sako is even a pretty decent left back. Sancho and Sterling are wide players in reality. There's only really Kane and Calvert-Lewin who you would say are number 9's. Bellingham is a talent and could do very well in this tournament

He did look good for Dortmund in the CL QF's in both games against City I must admit .... he's only 17 (SEVENTEEN) you know? I'm sure the media will remind you countless times (in case you forget) if he gets a game. :thumbup:

The decision to have a pan-european base was made years ago. An odd little idea by Monsieur Platini, who I'm sure was well paid by all countries for the suggestion. I agree that it should be based in 1 or possibly 2 countries only.
Yeah, 11 countries, so 11 backhanders and more corporate snouts in the trough, no doubt!

2024 is in Germany. I'd be very interested in going to that. I was living in Germany for the 2006 World Cup and it was a great experience following the games. Reliable and affordable trains, friendly locals, good weather, lots of excellent and affordable beer and sausages galore. What's not to like?

He did look good for Dortmund in the CL QF's in both games against City I must admit .... he's only 17 (SEVENTEEN) you know? I'm sure the media will remind you countless times (in case you forget) if he gets a game. :thumbup:

It will be constantly mentioned. Age is no barrier. Well except when you realise that my youngest kid is two years older than him and considerably poorer!!
Makes me feel old

2028 still tba.
Greece/Bulgaria/Romania/Serbia are putting in a joint bid (some good places, but travel nightmare), and Turkey also bidding.
Both England and Italy considering bids, while Spain/Portugal will bid for this or World Cup 2030.

Lots of countries capable of winning this tournament in all honesty. If I was to stick my neck out and make an early prediction I think that the Dutch will be the ones who will win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.