EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 716 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

The explanation is that Eastern Europe doesn’t have the abattoir capacity.

I had heard that argument but it never made sense to me.
If the animals are exported live FROM the UK, surely that increases the need for slaughter at the destination in Europe.

Am I missing something?

I had heard that argument but it never made sense to me.
If the animals are exported live FROM the UK, surely that increases the need for slaughter at the destination in Europe.

Am I missing something?

yes you are missing something.
Under Eu regulations, each nation state is compelled to operate to the same rules, so if it’s ok for Bulgaria to export/import live animals, then the U.K. had no option but to comply.
It certainly didn’t mean that we had to, but that we could legally and there was nothing that the U.K. government could do about it.
No we’ve left.
That can be rescinded.
Hopefully it will be.

yes you are missing something.
Under Eu regulations, each nation state is compelled to operate to the same rules, so if it’s ok for Bulgaria to export/import live animals, then the U.K. had no option but to comply.
It certainly didn’t mean that we had to, but that we could legally and there was nothing that the U.K. government could do about it.
No we’ve left.
That can be rescinded.
Hopefully it will be.
We could have sought a derogation under the rules but chose not to largely because the live animal trade was too valuable to farmers. It was so easy just to blame the EU when there were other factors at play.

We could have sought a derogation under the rules but chose not to largely because the live animal trade was too valuable to farmers. It was so easy just to blame the EU when there were other factors at play.
Classic. Thanks Waldo.
Ditto not properly monitoring EU immigrants. It was free movement of Labour but rules not enforced so it became free movement, hence some understandable resentment from the British Public and a stronger argument for Bexit than should have existed.

Classic. Thanks Waldo.
Ditto not properly monitoring EU immigrants. It was free movement of Labour but rules not enforced so it became free movement, hence some understandable resentment from the British Public and a stronger argument for Bexit than should have existed.

Reality check
Claim:
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said that under EU law "you cannot ban the shipment of live animals".
Reality Check verdict: He is right. Under EU single market rules, no member state can ban live animal exports, although the EU does put a number of animal welfare restrictions on exporting them.

From BBC
What does EU law say about animal exports?
Under the rules of the European Union (EU) single market, which guarantee free movement of goods, it is not possible for any member state to ban live animal exports.

If you need more, there is plenty out there.
EU revealed to be world's biggest live animal exporter | Live exports | The Guardian

It's similar with free movement under EU law.
Yes, it's technically possible to remove EU citizens, but you'd expect a court case if you did.
That's why they tolerated thousands living rough in London parks.

Romanians: We're EU citizens, give us houses so we can stop sleeping rough at Park Lane | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard
The shocking rise in the number of EU citizens who are homeless on London's streets | West London Mission (WLM)

Reality check
Claim:
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said that under EU law "you cannot ban the shipment of live animals".
Reality Check verdict: He is right. Under EU single market rules, no member state can ban live animal exports, although the EU does put a number of animal welfare restrictions on exporting them.

From BBC
What does EU law say about animal exports?
Under the rules of the European Union (EU) single market, which guarantee free movement of goods, it is not possible for any member state to ban live animal exports.

If you need more, there is plenty out there.
EU revealed to be world's biggest live animal exporter | Live exports | The Guardian

It's similar with free movement under EU law.
Yes, it's technically possible to remove EU citizens, but you'd expect a court case if you did.
That's why they tolerated thousands living rough in London parks.

Romanians: We're EU citizens, give us houses so we can stop sleeping rough at Park Lane | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard
The shocking rise in the number of EU citizens who are homeless on London's streets | West London Mission (WLM)
Derogation was not the right term to use. My mistake. The truth is that we never took the opportunity to put the case for a rule change. Even now there are problems with a ban on live exports. It would cause yet another problem in NI and, according to the Scottish Islands authority, it would make it impossible to send live animals to the mainland causing a major problem to the island economies. It’s a bit disingenuous to claim a ban as a Brexit win when we did nothing to try and end the trade when a member probably because of issues like this.

Brexit was 100% about our country making it’s own rules, laws and decisions.
Thanet Council tried to ban live exports of animals and were threatened with taking to the ECJ, so dropped it.
When we joined the common market it was a trading group.
When we left the Eu, it was a political affiliation.
The people were asked and delivered their decision.
Most are happy with trading with Eu nations and anyone else .
The market decides.
Time will show that it
It’s pretty fair to assume that most people knew what they were voting for by now.
Very few are changing minds.

Last edited:
So we left the EU to stop live animal exports. How noble of us. I can picture the typical Brexiteer in Stoke and Hartlepool right now thinking, thank goodness we're going to ban the export of live animals. It's what we voted for.

Happy with future animal imports to be pumped with various steroids though.

Big meeting in Cornwall about climate change and thanks to Brexit we are looking to import more goods half way around the world rather than from the EU. That makes sense, doesn't it. Buy local? Reduce air miles? Joke.

So we left the EU to stop live animal exports. How noble of us. I can picture the typical Brexiteer in Stoke and Hartlepool right now thinking, thank goodness we're going to ban the export of live animals. It's what we voted for.

Happy with future animal imports to be pumped with various steroids though.
Don’t be so bloody stupid and childish.
It doesn’t suit you.

Big meeting in Cornwall about climate change and thanks to Brexit we are looking to import more goods half way around the world rather than from the EU. That makes sense, doesn't it. Buy local? Reduce air miles? Joke.
Buy local 👍
We’re almost taking it to the extreme now.
After reading about the despicable conditions that Danish pigs are kept in, that’s something else we won’t buy.
#porkiesappledore

Last edited:
So the party and the factions within it that banged on about purity and absolutism now wants compromise.... from the other side. You didn't just get Brexit, you got full strength Brexit and you cheered the intransigent negotiaters to the echo. They brought this deal back and told you it was better than they ever imanmagined possible. You cheered again, together with all the Brexit ultras. It's yours, it's crap and it belongs to you. Enjoy.

So the party and the factions within it that banged on about purity and absolutism now wants compromise.... from the other side. You didn't just get Brexit, you got full strength Brexit and you cheered the intransigent negotiaters to the echo. They brought this deal back and told you it was better than they ever imanmagined possible. You cheered again, together with all the Brexit ultras. It's yours, it's crap and it belongs to you. Enjoy.
We are thanks
You continue to wallow in the fact that you were wrong.

We are thanks
You continue to wallow in the fact that you were wrong.
Really?

Actually laughted at that response.

I'm rather sad about it otherwise. What a con by a bunch of shits whose leader didn't even believe in it bit only campaigned for it in orde to become PM. Come on Shotshy, you know thatt's true about Johnson.

Really?

Actually laughted at that response.

I'm rather sad about it otherwise. What a con by a bunch of shits whose leader didn't even believe in it bit only campaigned for it in orde to become PM. Come on Shotshy, you know thatt's true about Johnson.
I’m no fan of Johnson or the Tory party but like millions of traditional Labour voters, I understood that the Eu is not the right place for our country. Never was and never would be.
I’d be happy to take a bet that if any of the other Eu countries ever had the balls to have a vote on the subject, we wouldn’t be the only ones who’d vote to leave.