Managerial merry go round | Page 16 | Vital Football

Managerial merry go round

He’s got a reasonable record but Celtic is a special job. They will want someone who can take the title away from Steven Gerard at Rangers. I will be surprised if Postecoglou is that man, but he deserves the chance as much as the next man.
won the A-League and J-League; rebuilt the Aussie national team and lead them to a respectful World Cup 2014 and won the Asian Cup a year later. Interesting appointment.

meanwhile on the merry-go-round spurs are chatting to 'top target' number three...
How many managers are likely to be attracted to a job knowing they are third choice at best? The longer these things drag on for, the more problematic the appointment becomes. WBA are now on to their third choice too.

Depends how extravagant the remuneration is.
that might deal with the manager. but what about from the buyer's perspective?

first choice beer is not available. second choice beer is not available, third choice beer is not available... how good will that Tesco Everyday Value bitter taste?

How many managers are likely to be attracted to a job knowing they are third choice at best?

Well it didn't stop Danny Cowley taking the Portsmouth manager job, one he may prove to be successful at nevertheless.

Considering practically all managerial appointments are just punts I doubt it would seriously stop anyone, especially as West Brom will be a well-paying gig.

For an English manager as well it offers one of the few opportunities to be in the PL as they pretty much have to take a team up to get any chance of it.

Footballer managers know ultimately they will leave a job - if they are successful they it will be for greater advancement if they are not they will join the reggae band from Birmingham. I don't know what the average tenure of a manager is but I am guessing its not long.

To them a job is a job - if it were us and we were offered a role who cares if we weren't first choice - they still pay you the same.

If Appleton wants the role and they want him (in the end) it will not matter he wasnt the first choice. Looking at the sort of person he is I think it might almost act as motivation.

Look at big Keith the posh were pests in their pursuit of him - he lasted 5 months. Being headhunted/first choice counts for little.

as appleton is maybe involved, i would ask... what is the vision surrounding the wba list of candidates? is it targeted leadership and direction by their board? do appleton, wilder, and wagner all fit with how wba want to progress?
or is it just random.
for me, there is a big difference in the end results you will get.