Managerial merry go round | Page 17 | Vital Football

Managerial merry go round

as appleton is maybe involved, i would ask... what is the vision surrounding the wba list of candidates? is it targeted leadership and direction by their board? do appleton, wilder, and wagner all fit with how wba want to progress?
or is it just random.
for me, there is a big difference in the end results you will get.

If WBA were into long term planning you think Allardyce would have been appointed last season??
Very much a for the now kind of club

as appleton is maybe involved, i would ask... what is the vision surrounding the wba list of candidates? is it targeted leadership and direction by their board? do appleton, wilder, and wagner all fit with how wba want to progress?
or is it just random.
for me, there is a big difference in the end results you will get.
That they appear to be floundering around like a drowning man in the dark, suggests a complete disconnect from any sort of strategy or succession planning. No doubt the parachute payments will go some way toward mitigating their incompetence.

Derek McInnes the former Aberdeen manager now in the running for the WBA job....
Dear me they're just plucking names out of a hat!

we have been pretty good at punting, clive nates should start a side business on the Brayford.

I agree, there's a method, but it still requires a large slice of luck.

The current manager's application was initially discarded by the chairman, fortunately he and others were persuaded otherwise.

The current manager's application was initially discarded by the chairman, fortunately he and others were persuaded otherwise.

I wasn't aware of that but I wouldn't describe that as fortunate or lucky. Just a good collaborative decision making process supported by knowledgeable individuals. I'd go further and say there's nothing fortunate or lucky about employing knowledgeable individuals.

At the end of the day you need luck but you can go a fair way to earning a good portion of it.

the better the method, the luckier you get.

didn't know that fact about appleton. i am sure you have a link, usually the kind of thing that leads to a confirmation/denial from the chairman . aka 'an hiwula'

the better the method, the luckier you get.

didn't know that fact about appleton. i am sure you have a link, usually the kind of thing that leads to a confirmation/denial from the chairman . aka 'an hiwula'

Really, is that documented anywhere ?

Really, is that documented anywhere ?

I don't know if it's documented but he mentioned it on one of Jules' post-match Skype free-for-alls, so for that reason I doubt it's a secret.

I wouldn't think there are many, if any, football club chairman who would take part in a fan-based post-match discussion in such a good-natured way, but there you are, and sometimes you learn something from it.

Sources? I've certainly read plenty saying Jez George was most proactive in support of MA's candidacy, but nothing saying that Clive had initially rejected him, which also seems inconsistent with the on-going review process which was and still is in place.

I don't know if it's documented but he mentioned it on one of Jules' post-match Skype free-for-alls, so for that reason I doubt it's a secret.

I wouldn't think there are many, if any, football club chairman who would take part in a fan-based post-match discussion in such a good-natured way, but there you are, and sometimes you learn something from it.
Fair enough!

I think it depends on whether you are a tabloid headline writer or not.

I have heard Clive saying on the radio, words to the effect that MA wasn't initially on his radar and wasn't in his consideration until Jez George flagged him up. Might even have initially not been keen based on what he did know.

But, but, but...

surely this demonstrates that the open minded, do some more research, talk to the right, well informed people approach...

...makes recruiting a manager a bit more than luck.

I have heard Clive speak on podcasts where he confirms the succession planning, diligence and clear business plan for the club that goes into appointing a new manager. He does make it very clear though that ultimately lady luck very much plays 'her' part in that process.

Whilst I'm sure there is an element of luck in play as Clive alludes to, I would also suggest he is being a little modest.

won the A-League and J-League; rebuilt the Aussie national team and lead them to a respectful World Cup 2014 and won the Asian Cup a year later. Interesting appointment.
I think a big change for celtic. Not sure hes the right man but interesting to see how it goes. Always thought he didnt like any pressure from fans massive change on that front celtic will be vocal from the start.

I have heard Clive speak on podcasts where he confirms the succession planning, diligence and clear business plan for the club that goes into appointing a new manager. He does make it very clear though that ultimately lady luck very much plays 'her' part in that process.

Whilst I'm sure there is an element of luck in play as Clive alludes to, I would also suggest he is being a little modest.
I presumed that the luck factor was more in the circumstances aligning to allow some favoured candidate to be available at the right time, in the right frame of mind, and also willing to accept appointment, rather than in the selection process of a preferred candidate itself.