The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 410 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're being pragmatic you look at how dismal we were for 2/3s of last season. He got a little lucky, took a step back and now the defense is sorted. We then strengthened that defensive unit with an amazing GK. We also managed to get someone who could find the net.

As an attacking unit there is still a lot of work to do. 90% of our attacking intent lies at the feet of Jack. We've rightly attempted to double down on our strengths and play through him. Jack missing has dispelled the myth that we have a team capable of the top half. Very much devoid of ideas without him and massively lack a cutting edge.

Matt Targett IMO is our next most consistently dangerous and creative player but he needs others to create space for him. Most of our players struggle to do that. I don't know what McGinn is being told to do, probably hold his runs, but he passes the ball and then stands still. Luiz is terrible for it too. The whole right wing is blunt as well, even with Grealish nothing ever comes down that wing anyway. With Barkley downing tools there is no quality at No. 10 either.

I don't think this will be a quick fix without throwing money at the problem. I worry when I hear them say there won't be big name signings or significant investment. Even a fully fit and motivated Barkley brings us back to square 1. We still don't have quality on the right flank and without Grealish on the left we'll be playing into dead-ends.

Yes indeed CDX. This long spell of poor form is I fear not a spell more the norm. I do fear a poor start to next season then the penny dropping with a few as to where we actually are as a team with this manager. We cannot guarantee another 5 wins in 7 start next season , it very likely won't be anywhere near that looking at matters realistically.

We've cost ourselves too many points sans Jack - performances have understandably been poorer but we still should've picked up far more points.

So I don't quite buy that.

We can't yet win ugly....regularly - which is what a top half side does.

DS can stick or twist but the reality is whoever he brings off the bench is a gamble in terms of changing a game, we don't yet have that option. But of course, at other points he doesn't help himself either.

The thing is with DS is he's too rigid. He will only change things in the last 5 or 10 minutes when he's getting desperate!

Every manager in the PL must know we play with just one up front, in Ollie. They know he's socially isolated so two big CBs can keep Ollie fairly quiet, but like a good 'un, he still battles away on his own.... poor guy.

I'm 99.9% convinced he'll only play Ollie up front again v Everton..... even though KD scored his first goal in the PL. He wouldn't think of shaking things up a bit and playing OW & KS together.

There's more chance of a squadron of bacon flying over Goodison Park.

We've cost ourselves too many points sans Jack - performances have understandably been poorer but we still should've picked up far more points.

So I don't quite buy that.

We can't yet win ugly....regularly - which is what a top half side does.

DS can stick or twist but the reality is whoever he brings off the bench is a gamble in terms of changing a game, we don't yet have that option. But of course, at other points he doesn't help himself either.
The wins at Leeds, Southampton and home to Arsenal gave a glimmer of hope we had cracked the winning ugly thing, but we haven't been able to replicate this enough, for me this blame lays firmly at the door of the midfield - too many passengers and our defence and keeper can only do so much. Whatever way you cut it , this manager built this midfield and it isn't working. It needs a rethink

The wins at Leeds, Southampton and home to Arsenal gave a glimmer of hope we had cracked the winning ugly thing, but we haven't been able to replicate this enough, for me this blame lays firmly at the door of the midfield - too many passengers and our defence and keeper can only do so much. Whatever way you cut it , this manager built this midfield and it isn't working. It needs a rethink

Think you're right in the sense that the midfield isn't quite cutting it. Has it improved? I'd say yes. It's a prime reason why our defence has been much more solid this year. But going forwards it hasn't quite got the edge it needs.

I don't think it needs a rethink. I think it needs that one player who's a level above what we've got.

The thing is with DS is he's too rigid. He will only change things in the last 5 or 10 minutes when he's getting desperate!

Every manager in the PL must know we play with just one up front, in Ollie. They know he's socially isolated so two big CBs can keep Ollie fairly quiet, but like a good 'un, he still battles away on his own.... poor guy.

I'm 99.9% convinced he'll only play Ollie up front again v Everton..... even though KD scored his first goal in the PL. He wouldn't think of shaking things up a bit and playing OW & KS together.

There's more chance of a squadron of bacon flying over Goodison Park.
Ollie's not isolated when our No.10 is doing their job, as seen against the Tesco bags. It's not the system that's at fault but key players not being at the races. It's a pretty negative dangerous game changing your tactics because you think your players are going to let you down.

I think everyone is right, I agree with everything on this page so far.

I think Mike is right that anybody coming off the bench is as likely to be anonymous as they are to win us the match outright.

Pride is 100% right IMO too, Deano just won't budge from his system. Theres something to be admired about the conviction in his system because chopping and changing isn't an answer either. However there is a medium space where you can shake it up every now and then. KD deserves a chance to start up top with Ollie and I think we're desperately crying out for someone to help make the ball stick further forward.

Silhill and McP are right the midfield is both desperate in attack but has also improved massively from last season. I feel like the midfield is better defensively but its lost its drive going forward. Perhaps as a response to McGinn being told to be more disciplined.

And lastly I agree with Platypus, I thought Barkley did his job fairly well last week. He got in the game and he got Ollie in the game. We're toothless though without Grealish and when Barkley decides to have an off day. Ramsey is going to be hit and miss, McGinn just doesn't quite suit the role and Sanson is a good 6 months from being useful. Between Bert, Anwar and the lack of consistency at #10 its like we're playing with 10.

I think everyone is right, I agree with everything on this page so far.

I think Mike is right that anybody coming off the bench is as likely to be anonymous as they are to win us the match outright.

Pride is 100% right IMO too, Deano just won't budge from his system. Theres something to be admired about the conviction in his system because chopping and changing isn't an answer either. However there is a medium space where you can shake it up every now and then. KD deserves a chance to start up top with Ollie and I think we're desperately crying out for someone to help make the ball stick further forward.

Silhill and McP are right the midfield is both desperate in attack but has also improved massively from last season. I feel like the midfield is better defensively but its lost its drive going forward. Perhaps as a response to McGinn being told to be more disciplined.

And lastly I agree with Platypus, I thought Barkley did his job fairly well last week. He got in the game and he got Ollie in the game. We're toothless though without Grealish and when Barkley decides to have an off day. Ramsey is going to be hit and miss, McGinn just doesn't quite suit the role and Sanson is a good 6 months from being useful. Between Bert, Anwar and the lack of consistency at #10 its like we're playing with 10.

You left me out . I was right once in 2019 .

Honest.

Think all season's are pivotal. Another season like this, and I suspect the owners would still give him more time; they'll be aware of the difficulties. That's unless they become unhappy at what's happening behind the scenes. But if the current slump became the norm then his future's obviously in question. Any improvement on this season I think they would be happy with. But beyond that I think they'll want to see a solid top half team.

In other words, by 2023 we need to be top 8 minimum, hopefully top 6. Europe beckons.

Both owners being around the 60 mark they won't want to hang around forever, These people don't let the grass grow under their feet, I think they'll want to press on very quickly.

I think to even start as manager next season he will need to have a decent finish. These guys are very successful businessmen and they didn't get their wealth by being soft with their managers. They will have set targets for this season and if they are not achieved then Dean will have some explaining to do. For all we know they may already be sounding out potential managers, it will be interesting as to how they see things. One thing I can be certain of is if Dean is still here for next season and we start like we are finishing then he'll be getting his P45 before Xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.