The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 409 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So even with the benefit of hindsight and not being bound by reality you can only tell us a couple of players you wouldn't have signed, but not any that you would. I put it to you that unless you make a better case for how you'd spend that money to get that Championship squad to mid-table Prem in a year and a half, you might do well to drop the "£250m and our only good player is Jack" nonsense.

Jack being the only good player apart from Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Luiz, Traore (on his day), most likely Sanson for next season and Ollie Watkins, of course.
The nonsense is what you have spouted here! I never stated the only decent player we have is JG, I stated that we would be in a relegation battle if we hadn't had JG earlier in the season. I also clearly imply that quality should have been purchased ELGhazi, TRez & Traore are not.

The nonsense is what you have spouted here! I never stated the only decent player we have is JG, I stated that we would be in a relegation battle if we hadn't had JG earlier in the season. I also clearly imply that quality should have been purchased ELGhazi, TRez & Traore are not.
No YOU smell.

Sorry, what you said was "the championship team that was heavily reliant on JG, 250m later - minus the loans turned to purchases, the team is still heavily reliant on JG." Which still isn't true, is it? We've had to buy an entire new defence, two new keepers one of which we lost because serious injury, four strikers because of serious injury,

"Minus loans turned to purchases" - why?
"If we hadn't had JG earlier in the season" - well we did, why wouldn't have we?

If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its arse when it hopped.

well I wouldn't have bought Elghazi, Trez & Traore that's for sure. I would have spent on quality - we wont recoup near the outlay on any of them.

Trez cost £9m and El Ghazi only £8m. I'm not the biggest fan of either of them and think going forwards they are squad players not regular starters, but their transfer fee's will surely have increased from what we paid. They've both got 2 seasons of PL experience and El Ghazi doesnt really have a bad goal return for the minutes he played.
Traore is too early to judge for me. He looked quality December/January time but since has frustrated he hell out of most of us.
Transfers aren't just down to Deano either, there are a few people making the call

Crikey after reading some of the posts on the last few pages if Villa were to miraculously win the title against all the odds, like Leicester, next season with Jack playing every game, I’m certain there will be one or two who will respond with....’Ah but we’ve only won it because Jack has played all season...Dean has to prove he can manage without us him...’ Can’t we just enjoy and embrace the fact that Jack is a wonderful talent and Dean Smith is the manager who’s managed to get every ounce out of him and more since being at the club?! Don’t think that suits the narrative of one or two perhaps but surely, nobody can argue that Dean Smith hasn’t helped to bring out the very best in Jack. For that alone he deserves a smidgen of credit from his most fiercest of critics.

Crikey after reading some of the posts on the last few pages if Villa were to miraculously win the title against all the odds, like Leicester, next season with Jack playing every game, I’m certain there will be one or two who will respond with....’Ah but we’ve only won it because Jack has played all season...Dean has to prove he can manage without us him...’ Can’t we just enjoy and embrace the fact that Jack is a wonderful talent and Dean Smith is the manager who’s managed to get every ounce out of him and more since being at the club?! Don’t think that suits the narrative of one or two perhaps but surely, nobody can argue that Dean Smith hasn’t helped to bring out the very best in Jack. For that alone he deserves a smidgen of credit from his most fiercest of critics.
All credit to Dean for getting the best out of Jack but what about the large chunk of the season he’s missed? Of course we need to be able to play without him.

Ah but what would happen to us without Deano. ? We wouldn't have got promoted or managed to stay up last season.

All credit to Dean for getting the best out of Jack but what about the large chunk of the season he’s missed? Of course we need to be able to play without him.

Don't think I said we didn’t need to do better without Jack. I agree with you but as the squad improves I think we will. But you’ve given credit to Dean. Great. (y)Some give him none.

Traore did nothing to get us promoted or keep us up last season, I can't argue with that.

1- what a ridiculous way to compare Traore with others isn’t it.
2- It’s the Smith thread if I recall correctly. No idea why we are Ghazi (whoever he is btw, sure it’s El Ghazi ) , Traore and Trezuguet are now being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.