The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 408 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness, I did give carrodus horrendous stick Des was a grafter but quite liked him. Geddis I nearly had a punch up over, when said he was fucking useless and a bloke in front didn't agree, I think I was right, never going to be Withe was he. Another player bought it because he did well in the cup final for Ipswich, He couldn't get a look inthere normally
Every team needs a Dessy Bremner.
Even a Dean Smith team. :grinning:

Yeah, it's nothing to do with him getting us promoted, keeping us up and then cementing our place back in the Premier League while playing some decent football along the way, its "bEcAusE he'S a vIlLa fAn"
I would suggest spending near 250m was the bare minimum to cement our place in the premiership, don't you think?. as for gaining promotion, didnt Slavan Bilic get automatic promotion with the baggies? DS is Lucky he has had a player of JG at his disposal, because as we have found out we are poor team going forward without him

I would suggest spending near 250m was the bare minimum to cement our place in the premiership, don't you think?. as for gaining promotion, didnt Slavan Bilic get automatic promotion with the baggies? DS is Lucky he has had a player of JG at his disposal, because as we have found out we are poor team going forward without him
Do you remember the squad we came up with?

Yep you have hit the nail on the head, the championship team that was heavily reliant on JG, 250m later - minus the loans turned to purchases, the team is still heavily reliant on JG.
What would you have done differently with the money. You have half a squad that finished fifth in the Championship - go...

What would you have done differently with the money. You have half a squad that finished fifth in the Championship - go...
Add to that the goalkeeper and the back four, who have been central to our fantastic defensive record this season are all Smith signings.

Completely agree. I'll repeat this from a similar post possibly made in this very thread not long ago.

Our first 11 with no signings would have been..

Steer

Elmo Revan Chester(if fit) Taylor

Hourihane Mcginn Ramsey

Green Kodjia Grealish

That's what our team would have been without signing the 11 or so players we did. Bearing in mind that Chester was still not fully fit at the start of the season as well.

Wow, it's like nothing he does matters.

Anyway, what does Bilic have to do with anything? I guess West Brom made the right decision in sacking him didn't they, that worked out well.

Completely agree. I'll repeat this from a similar post possibly made in this very thread not long ago.

Our first 11 with no signings would have been..

Steer

Elmo Revan Chester(if fit) Taylor

Hourihane Mcginn Ramsey

Green Kodjia Grealish

That's what our team would have been without signing the 11 or so players we did. Bearing in mind that Chester was still not fully fit at the start of the season as well.

We really had Jack and SJM the rest simply were never going to cut it and we've moved on from that and now have 6 or 7 PL players, just another 18 and we might be challenging the top 4

Wow, it's like nothing he does matters.

Anyway, what does Bilic have to do with anything? I guess West Brom made the right decision in sacking him didn't they, that worked out well.
What does Bilic have to do with it? I stated Bilic as a comparison as someone stated "well DS got us promoted & kept us up" it was a response to that statement!

well I wouldn't have bought Elghazi, Trez & Traore that's for sure. I would have spent on quality - we wont recoup near the outlay on any of them.
I wouldn't have loaned Barclay because I have never seen him have a consistent run of decent games throughout his Career(How much is the loan fee & wages by the Way?) i would have made it a priority to sign a Midfielder who can Pass, but doesnt get knocked off the ball so easily as our current midfield & I wouldn't have sacrificed McGinn's attacking abilities to compensate the inadequacies of Midfield, there just some basics really all done without the need for hindsight!

well I wouldn't have bought Elghazi, Trez & Traore that's for sure. I would have spent on quality - we wont recoup near the outlay on any of them.
I wouldn't have loaned Barclay because I have never seen him have a consistent run of decent games throughout his Career(How much is the loan fee & wages by the Way?) i would have made it a priority to sign a Midfielder who can Pass, but doesnt get knocked off the ball so easily as our current midfield & I wouldn't have sacrificed McGinn's attacking abilities to compensate the inadequacies of Midfield, there just some basics really all done without the need for hindsight!
So even with the benefit of hindsight and not being bound by reality you can only tell us a couple of players you wouldn't have signed, but not any that you would. I put it to you that unless you make a better case for how you'd spend that money to get that Championship squad to mid-table Prem in a year and a half, you might do well to drop the "£250m and our only good player is Jack" nonsense.

Jack being the only good player apart from Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Luiz, Traore (on his day), most likely Sanson for next season and Ollie Watkins, of course.

Is this the John McGinn that has scored 1 goal about every 10 games throughout his career, even in the Scottish league? SJM is many things but a goal machine he isn't never has been never will be. He's a grafter a fantastic battler but an attacking midfielder, nope. Deano has played him further forwards and he not exactly scored many.

Considering our start point, we must be in the top 4 or 5 achievers this season (given general expectations), along with West Ham, Leeds, Leicester... It's not been perfect, or even near perfect, but it's been encouraging and - at times - REALLY good.

We are now an established Prem team - which seemed like a dream just 18 months ago. If this progress continues early next season, brilliant. But if we perform like we have since Jack's injury - then it will need addressing.

Is this the John McGinn that has scored 1 goal about every 10 games throughout his career, even in the Scottish league? SJM is many things but a goal machine he isn't never has been never will be. He's a grafter a fantastic battler but an attacking midfielder, nope. Deano has played him further forwards and he not exactly scored many.
He's only an attacking force when he's playing against the likes of San Marino, Kazakhstan, Cyprus and the Faroe Islands.

McGinn does not have much attacking quality at all at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.