Gone for a song vs Gone for a Burton | Page 9 | Vital Football

Gone for a song vs Gone for a Burton

I don't know about you but I'm so relieved that I still have our club to support no matter what.
Have you forgotten that a few months ago there's every possibility there wouldn't be a WAFC to support as we could easily have been liquidated?
I'm not going to be too big headed to expect PL players in the team next season - many on here seems to expect that.
Read my post #142 on this thread.

LMB.....when we blew the lead at Rochdale.....wasn’t young Evans in the nets that day ?"........that we ought to have won that game delivering a three point swing against Rochdale (and a further two on Northampton) is true and would pretty much have had things wrapped up as you said.....but whatever faults can be attributed to Jones ...he didn’t play in that game

You are quite correct and I apologise, I was thinking of the Wimbledon game at home and for what ever reason I said Rochdale, Jones had a nightmare including a penalty because he was asleep, only for Jones we would have been on 3 points more and Wimbledon 3 points less, our 51 points would have seen us save and Wimbledon/ Rochdale playing out a probable relegation battle on Tuesday.

If JJ had set up to prevent a direct effort on goal and then Burton scored from a cross he would again have been slated for choosing the wrong option.

No he wouldn't, in that situation a keepers job is to stop a shot going in - if the cross comes in and a defender loses their man for a goal they'd be blamed not the keeper.

You are quite correct and I apologise, I was thinking of the Wimbledon game at home and for what ever reason I said Rochdale, Jones had a nightmare including a penalty because he was asleep, only for Jones we would have been on 3 points more and Wimbledon 3 points less, our 51 points would have seen us save and Wimbledon/ Rochdale playing out a probable relegation battle on Tuesday.

It was Jamie's fault that Poland got that equaliser at Wembley in 74...sack the bastard.

He has cost us points alongside lots of the other bargain basements that we had to field this season but I think it's very very harsh to constantly victimise him alone.
I have stated earlier in this thread, I did not blame him for Burton's goal yesterday, so there is no constant on this occassion.

We all know it's the keepers job is to make saves and every keeper makes mistakes. As the last line of defence your best and worst moments are amplified more than any other player as they definitively stop or conceded goals. It's easier to be a hero or villain than any other position - it's arguable if it's right or wrong but that is the way all keepers are judged generally.

There is a lot of routine stuff a keeper does but ultimately how good they are comes down to how often are their costly errors compared to how often are they winning you points with their saves. For example Al Habsi for had a couple of stinkers but his errors were rare and accepted because he more than offset those with what he saved. While Haugaard had a couple of great saves and good games after signing but that was quickly outweighed by a string of mistakes that saw him labelled a liability and sent back early from his loan.

Jamie Jones has been here for 4 years now - he's an experienced pro, he was brought in when we were happy to spend and deemed good enough to earn 2 contract extensions - we're not talking about a kid learning or some random lad we signed on a free this season because we had no other options. He played a reasonable amount of games in our last L1 win and last two Championship seasons. So anyone not rating him have had a lot of time and games to formally their opinion rather than it be knee jerk.

The idea Jones only ever gets the blame is not true - the keeper always gets criticised and praised for what they do and the defenders and the rest of the side get the same treatment. When we conceded the equaliser against Wimbledon, Pompeys winner, Doncasters and Shrewsburys consolation, Accys opening goal etc no one was talking about Jones as it wasn't his fault - they were talking about Wooton, Tilt, Evans etc who lost their man or didn't get back into position, stop cross etc.

But when Jones let the free kick in against Charlton thinking it was going wide, when he decides to needlessly pick up 2 back passes against Pompey or turn his back and have a drink when the ball is in play he rightly got critasim.

In the same sense at Shrewsbury away and Crewe away when he was very good he got a lot of deserved praise. Jones performances generally dictate what people say about him - same as most players.

For me over his whole time here he has made more bad mistakes to cost us points than he has great saves to win us points and i think at the end of the season we certainly need a new keeper. But until then he will be playing the next 2 and we all hope he plays well and we stay up. When we know our fate I hope he will be remembered for helping to save us rather than mistakes that cost us over the final 3 games.

Incorrect, keeper would be blamed by the usual.

If cross comes in and Tilt / Johnston / Darikwa etc ball watch and let the guy they should be marking have a free header from 5 yards no one is blaming Jones.

This has been proven plenty of times this season when the defenders were blamed for allowing unmarked headers that lead to goals. Tilt, Wooton, Ojo, Evans, etc have all been criticised for their mistakes that cost us goals in recent weeks / no one was blaming Jones for their failings. Jones only gets criticised when he makes mistakes.

What do you think WAFC's income is this season and next season? And how much do you think "better" players are going to cost? Don't forget where we were from July to March.
https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-one/accrington-stanley/

Please Note Some Changes have taken place in this Information.

Sky Bet League One.

Accrington Stanley 2021 - Player Wages:

Accrington Stanley
have a total of 46 players in their home squad.

The highest earning player in the squad is
Nathan Baxter earning £2,900 per week.

Accrington Stanley play in the Sky Bet League One,
the third division of mens professional football in England.

The teams total wage bill is:

£1,448,980 per year

£27,865 per week

Last edited:
https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-one/wigan-athletic/

Please Note Some Changes have taken place in this Information.

Sky Bet League One

Wigan Athletic 2021 - Player Wages

Wigan Athletic have a total of 54 players in their home squad.
The highest earning player in the squad is
Gavin Massey earning £8,200 per week.

Wigan Athletic play in the Sky Bet League One,
the third division of mens professional football in England.

The teams total wage bill is:

£2,881,320 per year

£55,410 per week

Last edited:
It was Jamie's fault that Poland got that equaliser at Wembley in 74...sack the bastard.
youre at it now Hindley ....it was 73 ...and stopped us getting to the 74 WC....and Jamie was somewhat less at fault than the much lauded Shilton who should have stopped it .....mind you was it Norman Hunter who ballsed up on the half way line to give away possession ?

Anyroad my ‘50 year rule’ on that one is not up for 18 months and you’ve brought it all back.....again ! 😫😢😫😢

Will Keane on £400 a week? I'm not sure these figures can be relied on.

From the Los Three Amigos site:

https://threeamigoswigan.com/2020/0...t-not-be-such-a-bad-thing-for-wigan-athletic/

Existing players’ wages would be regarded as the divisional average as far as the salary cap is concerned.

The average League 1 salary is around £1,800 per week.

Latics could therefore keep some of their higher paid players without breaking the salary cap, although the big fall in revenues involved in dropping down a tier makes it unlikely that such luxuries be afforded.

The last time Wigan were in League 1 they spent £11.7m on salaries in a bid to get out of the division.

They made a loss of over £9m over that 2017-18 season as a result.

youre at it now Hindley ....it was 73 ...and stopped us getting to the 74 WC....and Jamie was somewhat less at fault than the much lauded Shilton who should have stopped it .....mind you was it Norman Hunter who ballsed up on the half way line to give away possession ?

Anyroad my ‘50 year rule’ on that one is not up for 18 months and you’ve brought it all back.....again ! 😫😢😫😢

Remember what cloughy said about their keeper mate then he has a blinder ,?.. remind you of anyone now ?