Here we go! | Page 237 | Vital Football

Here we go!

Not all leavers are gammons but all gammons are leavers (I think)...or is it the other way round?????

not all gammons are white but all whites are blacks I think is another one (again, not sure though)

Not sure that answers the question.
The query I have is that a person who is gleefully calling a group of people racist for voting to leave the EU is using a derogatory name to group them all together in a deliberately negative based on their skin colour.

May to July 2019 The UK employment rate was estimated at 76.1%; this is the joint-highest on record since comparable records began in 1971 and higher than a year earlier (75.5%).10 Sept 2019

You should maybe go read about how many times employment methodology for figures has changed and who is included and who isnt. I wouldnt question the trends but the actual figures are not easily comparable back to the 1970s

You should maybe go read about how many times employment methodology for figures has changed and who is included and who isnt. I wouldnt question the trends but the actual figures are not easily comparable back to the 1970s

It’s never changed.

the employment rate statistics used nowadays use a consistent method to calculate the rates going back to the 1970s.

So now you know this, how do you explain away the lowest employment rate?

Last edited:
It’s never changed.

the employment rate statistics used nowadays use a consistent method to calculate the rates going back to the 1970s.

I think Thatcher alone changed the way it was measured about 13 times

I think Thatcher alone changed the way it was measured about 13 times

You think correctly, but the unemployment figures were manipulated by government in the 80s but it is now back calculated to the same international method used today.

the definition of employment used by official statistics is an international standard with a consistent definition, and comparisons over time to the 1970s are fair. The government isn’t fiddling the definition.

Last edited:
It’s never changed.

That just isnt true. Its changed half a dozen times through the 80s and 90s, last time was 2010 when they reclassified self employed

That just isnt true. Its changed half a dozen times through the 80s and 90s, last time was 2010 when they reclassified self employed

It’s correct that you only have to work an hour a week to count as employed, but it’s not correct that the government has manipulated the definition. The current definitions of employment and unemployment were set by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) in 1982, and not by any particular government. Most other countries also use this definition.

The ILO is an agency of the United Nations with a mission of “promoting social justice and internationally recognized human and labour rights”, comprising representatives from trades unions, employers and governments.

The ONS started collecting quarterly figures using the ILO definition from 1992 and that data from 1971-1992 using this estimate was back-calculated.

So you can safely and accurately compare 2019 and 1979 figures.