Here we go! | Page 235 | Vital Football

Here we go!

Strett

Vital 1st Team Regular
Polly has a point.

The 1169 invasion was Norman. The first Norman king to speak English as a first language wasn't until Edward III in the 1330s.

But conquest and enslavement only counts when it's the English doing it
When I was learning French recently I seem to remember my tutor informing me that over 30% of English words are French; it helped me enormously when you realise you already know 1000s of words.

For example all English words suffixed in ...ance, are the same in French, just spoken with a comedy French accent.

When I was learning French recently I seem to remember my tutor informing me that over 30% of English words are French; it helped me enormously when you realise you already know 1000s of words.

For example all English words suffixed in ...ance, are the same in French, just spoken with a comedy French accent.
And why we have French words for meat on a plate and English words for the animals in the field; due to the enslavement of the English that never happened

Strett

Vital 1st Team Regular
And why we have French words for meat on a plate and English words for the animals in the field; due to the enslavement of the English that never happened
Generally yes, but not all. Rabbit, lamb, chicken, duck are a few off the top of my head. Working around a French menu is a game* in itself, some local dishes have no English translation.

*No pun intended.

Generally yes, but not all. Rabbit, lamb, chicken, duck are a few off the top of my head. Working around a French menu is a game* in itself, some local dishes have no English translation.

*No pun intended.
I'm being disingenuous actually; the Normans were not keen on direct slavery believe it or not. Slavery was much more common under Saxon rule (around 10-15% of the population) but that went down to less than 5% under the Normans. They preferred the semi slavery of serfdom instead.

Basha73

Vital Football Hero
I'm being disingenuous actually; the Normans were not keen on direct slavery believe it or not. Slavery was much more common under Saxon rule (around 10-15% of the population) but that went down to less than 5% under the Normans. They preferred the semi slavery of serfdom instead.
Not sure how much better serfdom was at times depending on the brutality of the local lord.