EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 690 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

By being "A normal Country" do you mean by giving up all the benefits of being in the EU and becoming more self isolated and inward lookin?

To believe we have gain Sovereignty to dictate our own laws and regulations is delusionary, to trade with other countries you have to agree to abide by many of there rules and regulations. The days of pure Sovereignty went decades ago (well before we Joined the EU).

Last edited:
I liken Farage to those people you meet in life who moan about everything but when you ask for their suggestion they respond with "thats for the management to identify".

He was an MEP for years and had the opportunity to help change it but instead was just "difficult". Some of his actions in thevEU parliament embarrassed us as a nation in my opinion. Of course to some he was a legend who stood up for little England.

We all see things differently but to me he represents the worst of what little england represents, to others he's a hero.

That's just they way it is.

We should do a house swap VG. You can come home to little england and I can live in Moraira:-)

In terms of his bitterness I was referring to the fact that the political establishment has rejected him and not recognised his significance contribution to Brexit. Similarly the electorate has rejected his desire to be a UK MP many times. That must hurt.
I think that you have massively overestimated the role of an MEP and the European Parliament in general Mark.
They are there to discuss, debate and then ultimately rubber stamp the decision of the Commission.
They are the only directly democratically elected part of the Eu but are unfortunately quite toothless.
A example will be the passing of the trade agreement.
They will debate for days with the majority going on about citizens rights etc and then pass it.
Even manic europhiles like Verhofstadt will not vote against it, despite all the grand speeches.

This made me chuckle from the Brexit campaigning Daily Mail.
Christ! If the EU had threatened to do all this to UK citizens, I would have campaigned to leave!! 🤣

All of which has always been true if you want to travel further than Europe, or indeed to Norway or Switzerland.

Problem is that doesn't matter to these little europeaners that do not want to widen their horizons :whist:

Last edited:
To believe we have gain Sovereignty to dictate our own laws and regulations is delusionary, to trade with other countries you have to agree to abide by many of there rules and regulations.

True in the case of exporting, but Sovereignty is more about choosing to differ and the EU will have to choose whether they want to abide by UK rules regulations and standards as they diverge (by our own choice), if they want to continue their massive exporting to the UK.

You are probably right Shotshy but I can make the same argument about the house of commons though. Most career politicians vote as told by their whips and then you get those who deliberately delay things "because they can". So many MPs are a total waste of tax payers money. Very few actually try to make things better for their constituents if it means risking their career. The Rochester/Strood and Gillingham MPs are prime examples. Tracy Crouch in Chatham is one of the few exceptions in my view. I wish she were my MP.

If Farage was so against the EU he should have resigned his position and protested for Brexit full time rather than pull a salary from the EU.

This example sums him up : "over the three years that Nigel Farage was a member of the European Parliament Fisheries Committee, he attended one out of 42 meetings”.

Not so principled to stand down and forgo his salary / expenses though eh. Should have sacked for failing to do his duties but much can be said of many "lords" and MPs in Westminster.

My real issue with Farage is that he helped stoke hatred and division in this country. He emboldened people to follow a more right wing and nasty politics. I am reminded of a video that did the rounds last year. A white male on the tube racially abusing black people, using language that "I'm getting my country back", "You all need to go home" and worse. In my view the politics of Farage and others encouraged and emboldened that view held by those of right wings tendencies. Of course that video ended when one of the people he was abusing knocked him into the middle of next week but the politics of division is dangerous - history tells us that. Who knows if it knocked any sense into him.

As I say I find it funny that the real "hero" of Brexit for those who believe in it is not acknowledged by the political elite. If life was fair he should be Sir Nige by now - even I will accept Bozo got one thing right.

You are probably right Shotshy but I can make the same argument about the house of commons though. Most career politicians vote as told by their whips and then you get those who deliberately delay things "because they can". So many MPs are a total waste of tax payers money. Very few actually try to make things better for their constituents if it means risking their career. The Rochester/Strood and Gillingham MPs are prime examples. Tracy Crouch in Chatham is one of the few exceptions in my view. I wish she were my MP.

If Farage was so against the EU he should have resigned his position and protested for Brexit full time rather than pull a salary from the EU.

This example sums him up : "over the three years that Nigel Farage was a member of the European Parliament Fisheries Committee, he attended one out of 42 meetings”.

Not so principled to stand down and forgo his salary / expenses though eh. Should have sacked for failing to do his duties but much can be said of many "lords" and MPs in Westminster.

My real issue with Farage is that he helped stoke hatred and division in this country. He emboldened people to follow a more right wing and nasty politics. I am reminded of a video that did the rounds last year. A white male on the tube racially abusing black people, using language that "I'm getting my country back", "You all need to go home" and worse. In my view the politics of Farage and others encouraged and emboldened that view held by those of right wings tendencies. Of course that video ended when one of the people he was abusing knocked him into the middle of next week but the politics of division is dangerous - history tells us that. Who knows if it knocked any sense into him.

As I say I find it funny that the real "hero" of Brexit for those who believe in it is not acknowledged by the political elite. If life was fair he should be Sir Nige by now - even I will accept Bozo got one thing right.

You might argue, as I think you suggested, that Farage and the immigration card inhibited people who were open to Brexit but who wanted to have nothing to do with the fire with which he was playing. He made it easy to present the EU as all that is decent, good and forward looking, and Brexit as the property of the no one likes us and we don’t care mob.

You might argue, as I think you suggested, that Farage and the immigration card inhibited people who were open to Brexit but who wanted to have nothing to do with the fire with which he was playing. He made it easy to present the EU as all that is decent, good and forward looking, and Brexit as the property of the no one likes us and we don’t care mob.

An interesting point and you are right that Farage may have polarised views.

I think the 350M to the NHS bus probably swung those without strong views either way. Its a powerful message. I wonder if they are sending the money weekly or monthly ?

As someone once said "If you tell a lie, tell a big one"

"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm sorry."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55622331
The Dutch officials had been on the spud and were just having a laugh.
I’d love to have been in their tea room when discussing afterwards 😂

By the way Budds, if you can, check out a series called The Serpent.
Set in my days of travelling across Europe and Asia.
Pretty authentic but quite chilling.
Seems strange now to think that I did all that and a few years later, was working for HMG.
Smash the system to joining the system 😳

Last edited:

Seems strange now to think that I did all that and a few years later, was working for HMG.
Are we allowed to bring "cake" back?

People voted for change TB
Expect change.
And this is one of the changes they voted for. I trust they aren't complaining. They did know exactly what they voted for; so I'm told.

I'm not complaining about it. It's the sort of thing I expected now we don't have the same rights and conditions any more any

You're the second person to mention this tv series, I'll put it on my to-watch list.

Cheers!