EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 692 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Try taking foodstuff into Australia ! It’s caused by the fact that we now have no regulatory alignment. You really don’t know much about what goes on in the world.

Strangest one for me is the rule that you cannot (at least in 1980) take fruit from South Australia into Victoria and there is a border check at Mildura which is pseudo outback. This is to stop fruit flies so you get checked and sprayed to kill the larvae.
I often wondered how the flies know they have to stop at the border.

Try taking foodstuff into Australia ! It’s caused by the fact that we now have no regulatory alignment. You really don’t know much about what goes on in the world.

Has he never watched 'Nothing to Declare'?! Those Aussie customs and border bods are all over the foodstuffs:

In one amazing episode, a Chinese lady was fined for bringing banned, undeclared food into the country. She was given the standard $220 fine, or the option to take it to court (she would always lose, and fees can be over $50,000). Most people, at this point, just shut up and pay the fine. But not this lady. Although speaking perfect English at some points, when it came to her paying the fine she ‘didn’t understand the question’. Instead, she sat down and didn’t move for eight hours, forgetting that airports are 24/7, and assumed they would let her off. Instead, after eight hours, the customs officer looking after her reached tipping point and sent her home, giving her twenty one days to pay the fine before legal action would be taken. They then did a lil ‘what happened next’ section: on the twenty first day the woman paid the fine.

https://thetab.com/uk/2016/08/05/time-someone-said-nothing-declare-best-daytime-tv-show-12513

Strangest one for me is the rule that you cannot (at least in 1980) take fruit from South Australia into Victoria and there is a border check at Mildura which is pseudo outback. This is to stop fruit flies so you get checked and sprayed to kill the larvae.
I often wondered how the flies know they have to stop at the border.

You obviously don't grow fruit , or understand the life-cycle of a fruit fly Jerry.

Has he never watched 'Nothing to Declare'?! Those Aussie customs and border bods are all over the foodstuffs:

In one amazing episode, a Chinese lady was fined for bringing banned, undeclared food into the country. She was given the standard $220 fine, or the option to take it to court (she would always lose, and fees can be over $50,000). Most people, at this point, just shut up and pay the fine. But not this lady. Although speaking perfect English at some points, when it came to her paying the fine she ‘didn’t understand the question’. Instead, she sat down and didn’t move for eight hours, forgetting that airports are 24/7, and assumed they would let her off. Instead, after eight hours, the customs officer looking after her reached tipping point and sent her home, giving her twenty one days to pay the fine before legal action would be taken. They then did a lil ‘what happened next’ section: on the twenty first day the woman paid the fine.

https://thetab.com/uk/2016/08/05/time-someone-said-nothing-declare-best-daytime-tv-show-12513

It's strict rules , which are designed to protect unique indigenous species of a continent.
(a bit like the EU immigration debate)

Did the Chinese lady have a cough ?

It's strict rules , which are designed to protect unique indigenous species of a continent.
(a bit like the EU immigration debate)

Did the Chinese lady have a cough ?

Kind of ironic that, given that the white man's smallpox, along with a fair few massacres, did little to protect and much to decimate the indigenous humans of that continent.

Am currently reading (and slowly because I've been reading it aloud to the mrs at infrequent intervals) Robert Hughes', The Fatal Shore. Am enjoying it as I've never really known too much about the founding of Australia other than basic stuff like Captain Cook, 250 years ago, transportation of convicts, and that (as with America) the white colonists fcked up a people who had been living in harmony with their environment for generations upon generations upon generations. Only a few chapters in but already know loads more about the discovery and colonisation of the continent than I did before. Also a really good chapter about crime and punishment in England towards the end of the 18th Century.

At least now this, "unique indigenous species of a continent", is being protected thanks to their strict border controls. Almost makes you proud to be white, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:
You obviously don't grow fruit , or understand the life-cycle of a fruit fly Jerry.

What has growing fruit and/or the life-cycle of a fruit fly have to do with crossing a border at Mildura?

Doesn't Jerry have a point, how do the flies know to stop at the border?

What has growing fruit and/or the life-cycle of a fruit fly have to do with crossing a border at Mildura?

Doesn't Jerry have a point, how do the flies know to stop at the border?

Fruit flies can only live amongst fruit trees , but their eggs/larvae is in the fruit itself , which can unwittingly be transported across borders. I hope my explanation is not too complicated.

Fruit flies can only live amongst fruit trees , but their eggs/larvae is in the fruit itself , which can unwittingly be transported across borders. I hope my explanation is not too complicated.

I don't grow fruit and know next to nothing about fruit flies but I assumed that they could fly. And this confirms that they can, up to 9 miles a day:
https://www.earth.com/news/fruit-flies-travel-miles/

Your explanation isn't complicated but I'm still wondering how the flies know to stop at the border?

I don't grow fruit and know next to nothing about fruit flies but I assumed that they could fly. And this confirms that they can, up to 9 miles a day:
https://www.earth.com/news/fruit-flies-travel-miles/

Your explanation isn't complicated but I'm still wondering how the flies know to stop at the border?

They don't grow fruit within ten miles of the border? Like we don't with our border with France, but we make it 20 miles just to be on the safe side 🙂

Bureaucracy breeds pedantry so it is the sort of thing that should have been anticipated from the EU. Rules is Rules, guvnor. Integrity above flexibility.

Really, though, is it so different from a entertainment venue banning someone from bringing in their own food? As long as Dutch lorry drivers accept reciprocal treatment at Dover.

I expect Holland have their own roadside burger and sandwich vans, plus service stations, for lorry drivers to use before they reach their destination.
Actually, can the UK rise above the Dutch on this.:jangel:
Perhaps make a point of positively inviting Dutch truckers to bring in their own sandwiches (for personal use of course).

What possible (realistic) risk can Dutch sandwiches be ???

That essentially is what I was alluding to. I was not saying that Dutch customs were doing anything wrong by the letter of the law, and recognise that they were perfectly entitled to take that view. I was just saying that it is no big deal and will be the same for, as an example, any German lorry driver who has a frankfurter in his lunch box at Dover. Whatever. Habits will soon change.

The South Africa to Victoria one is an interesting example though because free movement of goods, such as within the EU, will often mean that such checks that regulatory alignment is being observed would not take place between member states when crossing borders, whereas Dutch customs knew that they were free to check and interrogate a UK lorry driver.

So which Brexiteers would they be ?

Didn’t you read my post? The ones of Twitter moaning about frictions at the border.

In fairness to those people, they were told that the UK would have exactly the same benefits of being an EU member after Brexit. Clearly that was a huge lie that most could see through at the time - but based on the moaning on Twitter some really believed it.

I’m not trying to overstate the minor inconvenience of having a sandwich confiscated. But it was obvious all along that there would be frictions.

Didn’t you read my post? The ones of Twitter moaning about frictions at the border.

In fairness to those people, they were told that the UK would have exactly the same benefits of being an EU member after Brexit. Clearly that was a huge lie that most could see through at the time - but based on the moaning on Twitter some really believed it.

I’m not trying to overstate the minor inconvenience of having a sandwich confiscated. But it was obvious all along that there would be frictions.
Sorry. I don't do Twitter.....
....and based on handful I've seen, when not dismissable on "abuse" grounds, their un-contextualised nature makes understanding any point difficult - or open to mis-interpretation.

[Why do think some of my posts are so effing long ???? ;)]

Sorry. I don't do Twitter.....
....and based on handful I've seen, when not dismissable on "abuse" grounds, their un-contextualised nature makes understanding any point difficult - or open to mis-interpretation.

[Why do think some of my posts are so effing long ???? ;)]

Please keep them short for me.