#COVID19 | Page 720 | Vital Football

#COVID19

No surprise there Strett, our PM was instrumental in raising this with China months ago and we've been paying the price ever since. Our biggest trading partner taking 40% of our exports but not now. They have refused to accept one type of export after another, no reason given and refusing to speak with our Govt. We still have ships full of coal lying off the Chinese coast and they have been there for months. Get the wrong side of that mob and you'll pay the price.
I'm surprised at WHO, they are usually very careful as to how they approach this sort of problem.

Complete and utter waste of time. The WHO sending a team of 3? to a country who dont want them in and even if they gained access what would they hope to achieve.

Why do you think it was too slow purchasing?
Why do you think they have not bought enough?

They have ordered 2 billion doses which is at least twice as many as they need.
They have approved Pfizer and will probably approve Moderna tomorrow.

They could not have approved any of the other options because those companies have not yet applied for approval to the EMA.
Despite that, they are undertaking rolling reviews of AZ and J&J to expedite the process.

Their purchase portfolio is sensibly diverse. They have not "bet on a French vaccine" at anyone else's expense. The biggest purchase in terms of doses is Curevac at 405m. However the second and third biggest are AZ (the "Oxford vaccine") and Johnson & Johnson both with orders of 400m.

Serious questions:
Where did you get the idea that they had gambled on the French option? (with the implication that was incorrect or reckless.)
Where did you get the idea that decision (which is actually true) was due to political pressure?
Where did you get the idea that they were too slow to purchase when they have orders for 2 billion doses?
Where did you get the idea they haven't bought enough when they have bought 2 billion doses but a population less than 448m?

I think the answers are important.

So WHEN did they purchase 2 billion doses ? I will see if I can find what I've read, but despite Mao resorting to the usual insults about "loon" journals, I only read the BBC and telegraph. (The "loon" journals are usually links on here!) I only go on what I read, so feel free to post your findings of when they purchased things.

Articles I have read say EU countries are going their own way because of insufficient purchases. Many criticisms come from foreign journals too.

@in_the_top_one have a listen to some Slowthai

He sums up Britain wonderfully

Are you in this one too?

There's plenty to respect about Britain. I just don't know how any one of us can claim pride for that, unless we are adding to that heritage in a substantial way.
I guess we all add a brick to the wall. It usually turns to achievements in war, or something. I can be proud of my grandparents efforts and even their stoicism. But why should I, personally, be proud of, say, Churchill (even if we do airbrush out his darker side)?

There are obviously better creations than those on Slowthai's list (Phil Mitchell - lol!).
Inventing the phone, and the tele, the owd www, jet engines (possibly a frenchman), spitfires, steam power, bridges, football, the spinning jenny.
I didn't invent any of them, and nor did my family. I just live here.

Why do you think it was too slow purchasing?
Why do you think they have not bought enough?

They have ordered 2 billion doses which is at least twice as many as they need.
They have approved Pfizer and will probably approve Moderna tomorrow.

Serious questions:
Where did you get the idea that they had gambled on the French option? (with the implication that was incorrect or reckless.)
Where did you get the idea that decision (which isn't actually true) was due to political pressure?
Where did you get the idea that they were too slow to purchase when they have orders for 2 billion doses?
Where did you get the idea they haven't bought enough when they have bought 2 billion doses but a population less than 448m?

I think the answers are important.

According to this, the EU placed orders for the Pfizer vaccine in November

From The Telegraph

n a matter of three weeks we have seen the germination - excuse the pun - of a novel, broad-based, Teutonic Euroscepticism. The front pages of Die Welt, Der Spiegel, and much of the German press are a riot of allegations and indignation. The word Katastrophe is being thrown around liberally.
Bild Zeitung took direct aim at Chancellor Angela Merkel in its splash on Monday, accusing her of sacrificing German lives by overriding the vaccine policy of her own government. She handed over the programme to Brussels in order to play the good European as her swansong gesture.

The European Commission then mangled the job. It drifted through the summer. Under pressure from Paris it ordered 300 million doses of the ‘French’ vaccine from GSK-Sanofi in September, only to discover later that Sanofi’s clinical trials had run into trouble. By then the EU vaccine fund was running low.
Several countries balked at Pfizer’s hard-nosed demands - allegedly $50 (£36.80) a dose - for the ‘German’ BioNTech jab. No firm order was issued until mid-November, even though BioNTech had emerged as a front-runner months before. By then the EU had dropped down the pecking order. “Instead of mass delivery, the vaccine is reaching us as a trickle,” said Bild.
"Obviously, the European purchasing process was flawed,” said Markus Söder, the Bavarian premier and the man that Germans would most like to see as the next Chancellor.

“It’s hard to explain why people elsewhere are being vaccinated more quickly with an excellent vaccine developed in Germany. Time is crucial. If Israel, the US, or the UK are far ahead of us with jabs, they’ll also gain economically."
Israel has vaccinated more than a million people with the German jab. So has the UK. The US has surpassed four million. Germany is moving fast by EU standards at 320,000 but is already hitting buffers, partly because some Länder are struggling with the logistics, but also because supplies are running out.

So WHEN did they purchase 2 billion doses ?
So are you acknowledging that your accusation of them not buying enough was wrong? Because they have bought more than twice the number they need.

When? Well what we know is that the orders have been secured before the vaccines have been approved. Which is important.
Tick.

Just as important, of course, is when they are delivered relative to when they can be administered (following their approval). I don't know the answer to this yet. Maybe you are right that the delivery timeline is slower than could have been negotiated. We will have to wait and see. I hope both the EU and the UK have done a good job of securing their supplies with little/no delays and have plenty of doses left over to donate to poorer countries.

According to this, the EU placed orders for the Pfizer vaccine in November

From The Telegraph

n a matter of three weeks we have seen the germination - excuse the pun - of a novel, broad-based, Teutonic Euroscepticism. The front pages of Die Welt, Der Spiegel, and much of the German press are a riot of allegations and indignation. The word Katastrophe is being thrown around liberally.
Bild Zeitung took direct aim at Chancellor Angela Merkel in its splash on Monday, accusing her of sacrificing German lives by overriding the vaccine policy of her own government. She handed over the programme to Brussels in order to play the good European as her swansong gesture.

The European Commission then mangled the job. It drifted through the summer. Under pressure from Paris it ordered 300 million doses of the ‘French’ vaccine from GSK-Sanofi in September, only to discover later that Sanofi’s clinical trials had run into trouble. By then the EU vaccine fund was running low.
Several countries balked at Pfizer’s hard-nosed demands - allegedly $50 (£36.80) a dose - for the ‘German’ BioNTech jab. No firm order was issued until mid-November, even though BioNTech had emerged as a front-runner months before. By then the EU had dropped down the pecking order. “Instead of mass delivery, the vaccine is reaching us as a trickle,” said Bild.
"Obviously, the European purchasing process was flawed,” said Markus Söder, the Bavarian premier and the man that Germans would most like to see as the next Chancellor.

“It’s hard to explain why people elsewhere are being vaccinated more quickly with an excellent vaccine developed in Germany. Time is crucial. If Israel, the US, or the UK are far ahead of us with jabs, they’ll also gain economically."
Israel has vaccinated more than a million people with the German jab. So has the UK. The US has surpassed four million. Germany is moving fast by EU standards at 320,000 but is already hitting buffers, partly because some Länder are struggling with the logistics, but also because supplies are running out.
Fair enough. I'm sure there is plenty to criticise every country for. There will certainly be both benefits and drawbacks to piling in as a bloc. Politicians on both sides will emphasise the elements that are most expedient.

This is a long game. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
We should all be wanting everyone to do well.

Are you in this one too?

There's plenty to respect about Britain. I just don't know how any one of us can claim pride for that, unless we are adding to that heritage in a substantial way.
I guess we all add a brick to the wall. It usually turns to achievements in war, or something. I can be proud of my grandparents efforts and even their stoicism. But why should I, personally, be proud of, say, Churchill (even if we do airbrush out his darker side)?

There are obviously better creations than those on Slowthai's list (Phil Mitchell - lol!).
Inventing the phone, and the tele, the owd www, jet engines (possibly a frenchman), spitfires, steam power, bridges, football, the spinning jenny.
I didn't invent any of them, and nor did my family. I just live here.

People taking credit for other peoples achievements

Behave yourself or i will get young Greta to pay you a visit to organise some demos in Sydney or somewhere. Exporting brown coal to burn in power stations? You ought to be ashamed. Do the right thing and put thousands of blokes out of work like we have.
Or mange their transition to work in green tech rather than closing the pits and not even bothering to say good luck.

I'm guessing Ian Dunt is being a bit Remainerey, or it genuinely is beyond his comprehension, in which case he's a bit thick.
Taking control of one's own borders does not mean you have to close them; it means the decision is under their own control. Whether they should be closed or not is an entirely different discussion.