PRE 1978 MEMORIES | Vital Football

PRE 1978 MEMORIES

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
With Springy Park bringing up some great memories it struct me we should have a dedicated thread for our Non league memories. Maybe all the guys who were there on the journey can come on here and relive The Good Old Days when we were young
Just an ideašŸ˜‰

With Springy Park bringing up some great memories it struct me we should have a dedicated thread for our Non league memories. Maybe all the guys who were there on the journey can come on here and relive The Good Old Days when we were young
Just an ideašŸ˜‰
A great idea. Some very special times. I remember Saturday morning in Grundy's dentist in Leyland shatting myself thinking of going to Springfield in the afternoon.
Jordan North didn't invent the "special place".
Bloody butchers at Grundy's and that bloody gas they used FFS!

Sensational, nothing is as intense as when youā€™re a kid experiencing stuff for the first time and I was going to Springfield from about 67 I think, ...I saw Harry Lyon but only a handful of times ...Bert Llewelyn I think was the first regular centre forward I can remember.

I could reel off loads of games from the late 60ā€˜s through to the early 70ā€™s but most of us fossils would have been at most of the games.
However one that sticks in my mind ....that I bet not many were at ...Latics reserves 7 Lytham St Anneā€™s 3 .....Lytham played in a ā€˜Sheffield Utd/ Sunderland stripā€™ ...and it was a three penny bit to get in ....just the sheer amount of goals ...under the floodlights made it stick in my mind.

Like Zakky (I think ?)....though Gordon Milneā€™s 70/71 team is probably my favourite, because at 12/13 I was just getting old enough to properly concentrate on the game and fully appreciate the quality of players on show.
They were a great non league team and Latics 4 Stafford Rangers (shithouses) 1 ....over Christmas showed them at the height of their powers.

Latics 4 Stafford Rangers (shithouses) 1 ....over Christmas showed them at the height of their powers.
Was that the Boxing Day league match in front of over 8000 fans, and did we not lose 0-1 the following week to them in the Trophy.

Was that the Boxing Day league match in front of over 8000 fans, and did we not lose 0-1 the following week to them in the Trophy.

I was there I think if memory saves me Gordon Milne sat on the ball taking the proverbial, I I certainly remember Maurice Whittle doing it at Great Harwood great days keep um coming chaps

Went to watch Latics with my mates in the Cheshire County League (1962-1963 onwards playing ,Winsford United, Bangor City, Stafford Rangers. Frickley Colliery, Rhyl to name a few.

It was (Magical) going to Springfield Park for the the first time,
to see a Massive Football Ground and going to Away Matches
which seemed like going on Holiday.

We was only 10 to 14 years of age.

lyon.jpg
1964-65 -Wigan Athletic 3 Oswestry 0.
Harry Lyon gets on to a Walter Stanley cross.

1966.jpg

Wigan Athletic 1966

Back row
(l-r): D.Roberts, A. Craig, D. Crompton, J. Heath, D. Houghton, R. Wilkinson

Front row (l-r): G. Hickson, R. Cairns, H. Lyon, B. Llewelyn, B. Grundy

999.jpg
Wigan Athletic 1972/73
Back Row:
Les Rigby (manager), John Rogers, Albert Jackson, Dennis Reeves,
Ken Morris, Billy Sutherland, Johnny King, Mike Taylor, Ken Banks (trainer)

Front Row:
Graham Oates, Ian Gillibrand, Micky Worswick,
Paul Clements, Colin Chadwick

Certainly was ...I donā€™t think that gate was beaten anywhere in non league football ā€œleague gamesā€ for about 30 odd years ..not until Yeovil and someone else met in a Conference winning showdown with automatic promotion to the Football League ato stake ....none of which was open to us back in 70/71 season ....Iā€™ll check in my book as to whether Stafford R got revenge in a ā€œmeaningless cup trinketā€ šŸ˜ shortly after

I remember back in the early 70s we had a night match at Altrincham and Billy Sutherland rung me at about 5pm saying are you going in the car tonight I need a lift. Arriving at the ground Billy, Kenny Morris, Eric Welsby, & Johnny King piled in my car Les Rigby came over to me and said "Get um there in one piece" but not thanks mate lol. Sadly we lost 0-3, can you imagine that today, great days.

Certainly was ...I donā€™t think that gate was beaten anywhere in non league football ā€œleague gamesā€ for about 30 odd years ..not until Yeovil and someone else met in a Conference winning showdown with automatic promotion to the Football League ato stake ....none of which was open to us back in 70/71 season ....Iā€™ll check in my book as to whether Stafford R got revenge in a ā€œmeaningless cup trinketā€ šŸ˜ shortly after
I think we won 1-0 with over 6000 on for that match.

Actually that year we did lose 1-0 at home in the trophy but it was to Hillingdon Borough. That was in front of over six thousand.