PRE 1978 MEMORIES | Page 4 | Vital Football

PRE 1978 MEMORIES

this is one I have kept

I'm going in the opposite direction...I was at OT for the Port Vale 2nd replay but couldn't find the programme...I have sent for and received another.

I was at Maine Rd for the City 71 Cup match but couldn't find the programme...I have sent for and received another.

I was at Springy for the Grimsby 1st league home but couldn't find the programme....I have sent for and received another.

I'm going in the opposite direction...I was at OT for the Port Vale 2nd replay but couldn't find the programme...I have sent for and received another.

I was at Maine Rd for the City 71 Cup match but couldn't find the programme...I have sent for and received another.

I was at Springy for the Grimsby 1st league home but couldn't find the programme....I have sent for and received another.
Yes got and never lost those.

How pissed were you to lose those

Met Harry Lyons daughter at a house party in Carlisle in the early 1980s.
She did not have a good word to say about him.

But then we have recently seen a similar think with Frampton

I lived next door but one to the family growing up. If that was Cheryl, then I know exactly why she didnt...

Went to watch us play Kirkby Town think it was in the early seventies not sure what competition.
Their fans were like animals, throwing stuff at their own goalie as he was warming up and having to be chased off the pitch by the police, after the match they were buggering about trying to let the coach tyres down or nick the wheel trims and had to be chased off.
Derek played that day and I was stood behind the pitch fence along with a few other Latics fans, one of our gobby fans was giving Derek a load of abuse when he came over to the touchline to take a throw in, Derek picked the ball up and edged to the fence where Mr gobby was stood and gave him an elbow as he was taking the throw in, accidentally of course.
A bit of a Cantona moment.
Talking of abuse I'm surprised non of the opposition players didn't react when they were coming down the tunnel, they used to get loads of stick in the sixties.
I watched Larry Lloyd come over to the fence to 'challenge' a gobby fan
who was giving Larry some 'stick' at Springy he soon moved well back
up the steps, out of harms way.

Jimmy Savage
Davey Breen
Jim Fleming
Billy Sutherland
George Urquhart
Billy Urquhart
Tommy Ross

Have I missed anyone from that generation
Seem to remember Norman Beattie not sure though
I thought George Urquhart was later than that lot Zakky. We were certainly in the league. David Urquhart too, who had a superb scoring record.

I thought George Urquhart was later than that lot Zakky. We were certainly in the league. David Urquhart too, who had a superb scoring record.

David Urquart was a travel agent not a footballer, Billy Urquhart played 10 games for us scoring twice in 1980 he signed from Glasgow Rangers as did Billy Sutherland or Smoothie as he was known to his friends .
George Urquart played from 1979-81 making 68 apps scoring 10 goals and he later became Antonio Valencia's agent

Three things Zakky;

a) the time was later than early 70s, as I said
b) I'm fairly sure that Dave was our loanee. Others may remember if this is right. Up
c) I've no recollection of a Billy. You may well be right though.

Ian Purdie as well, was there some striker called Shearer who may have been Scottish or a Geordie my memory is a bit hazy.