PRE 1978 MEMORIES | Page 5 | Vital Football

PRE 1978 MEMORIES

Ian Purdie as well, was there some striker called Shearer who may have been Scottish or a Geordie my memory is a bit hazy.

Duncan Shearer, we had him on loan from Middlesbrough, good striker while we had him, in his first game back after his loan with us was over he scored Middlesbrough's winning goals against Liverpool.

Yeah LMB I think he scored a hat trick for us (against Port Vale ??) and in the press after he said something like “I’m better than this“ he was referring to the level and though he was probably right ....I went off him after that 😡

Benny Cairney & Jimmy Lynn were great shouts and can I offer the two very similarly named “Ians“ Sandiford and Sandilands one or both of em ....might have been Scots ....but I can’t recall

Three things Zakky;

a) the time was later than early 70s, as I said
b) I'm fairly sure that Dave was our loanee. Others may remember if this is right. Up
c) I've no recollection of a Billy. You may well be right though.

Sorry Zakky ... 2nd point here is wrong. It wasn't David Urquhart I was thinking of..... It was David Shearer.

My apologies ... though I still don't remember Billy Urquhart.

I thought George Urquhart was later than that lot Zakky. We were certainly in the league. David Urquhart too, who had a superb scoring record.
Are you thinking of David Shearer Moonay, he scored 9 goals in 11 matches for us whilst on loan from Boro in 1980. He was Scottish also, born in Inverness.

Three things Zakky;

a) the time was later than early 70s, as I said
b) I'm fairly sure that Dave was our loanee. Others may remember if this is right. Up
c) I've no recollection of a Billy. You may well be right though.

We are talking about Scottish players irrespective of the timeline

Billy Urquhart - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Billy_Urquhart

Urquhart started his career at Inverness Caledonian but moved to Rangers in 1978. He stayed at the club for two years before moving on to Wigan Athletic for a season. Urquhart returned to Inverness with Caledonian in 1981 and stayed at the club until its amalgamation into Inverness Caledonian Thistle in 1994.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Urquhart Travel say they’ve been forced to wind up their coach tour business due to the “dramatic impact” of the coronavirus crisis.

The company has operated bus trips across Scotland and the rest of the UK for almost four decades, with their vehicles a familiar sight on Highland roads.

There is no footballer by that name who played for us lol

Duncan Duncan Shearer , we had him on loan from Middlesbrough, good striker while we had him, in his first game back after his loan with us was over he scored Middlesbrough's winning goals against Liverpool.

I think its Dave Shearer you are referring to Duncan was his brother

TeamApps(Gls)19??–1978Clachnacuddin1978–1983Middlesbrough 97 (32)1980Wigan Athletic (loan) 11 (9)1983–1984Grimsby Town 4 (0)1984–1987Gillingham 93 (42)1987–1988AFC Bournemouth 11 (3)1988Scunthorpe United 16 (7)1988–19??Darlington 7 (0)Billingham Synthonia

I think its Dave Shearer you are referring to Duncan was his brother

TeamApps(Gls)19??–1978Clachnacuddin1978–1983Middlesbrough 97 (32)1980Wigan Athletic (loan) 11 (9)1983–1984Grimsby Town 4 (0)1984–1987Gillingham 93 (42)1987–1988AFC Bournemouth 11 (3)1988Scunthorpe United 16 (7)1988–19??Darlington 7 (0)Billingham Synthonia

You are right, hexwas a big thick set lad with ginger hair, but for such a big lad he was lightening quick, he hung about in the 1st division for a while but never really made it, I always thought he would.

I remember the stadium announcer at York City getting Billy Urquart,s name hopelessly wrong hilarious. Back to non league remember beating Stafford in the trophy at Ice station Zebra to reach Wembley.

Yeah LMB I think he scored a hat trick for us (against Port Vale ??) and in the press after he said something like “I’m better than this“ he was referring to the level and though he was probably right ....I went off him after that 😡

Benny Cairney & Jimmy Lynn were great shouts and can I offer the two very similarly named “Ians“ Sandiford and Sandilands one or both of em ....might have been Scots ....but I can’t recall
Sandiland was from Hindley

When we won the NPL Championship in 1975, Did we actually have a Trophy Presentation? ...As there doesn't seem to be any photos of it.

Was that the one when Johnny King stripped down to his jockstrap at the front of the Phoenix Stand? Maybe that's why the photos are "unavailable"?

Was that the one when Johnny King stripped down to his jockstrap at the front of the Phoenix Stand? Maybe that's why the photos are "unavailable"?
Not a clue mate, before my time unfortunately.
The only photos I've seen from that season are, Lancaster City in the FA Trophy, and Shrewsbury Town and Mansfield Town in the FA Cup.
There's a few photos of when we won the NPL in 1971, but as yet, I haven't seen any at all from 1975.