#COVID19 | Page 596 | Vital Football

#COVID19

No, no, no.

Level up, not down.

You (or London) being in tier 3 in sympathy with Nottingham would not make my life better by one iota. You sharing my 'misery' would not reduce it either.

I want to be able to go for a bit of dinner with the wife and kids every now and then over Christmas. I want to be able to sit with Mrs Pope and had a coffee, maybe even a slice of cake as we put this rancid year behind us. I could live with tier 3 when shops and hospitality was open with restrictions.

Not being able to do that for an indeterminate about of time (realistically, months) and the genuine concern that it is going to be the final straw for large numbers of businesses really does make me angry. And I also think it is an economic catastrophe in the making that is unnecessary. I would like to imagine that more than 5 minutes was taken deciding Nottingham's fate, but I honestly doubt it was more than a 2 minute paper exercise; 800,000 people consigned to long term social, cultural and economic misery at a cursery glance of a graph

I don't want other areas to suffer the same unnecessarily, I just don't want my area to experience it.

This has obviously been decided in an arbitrary manner.

Nottingham currently sits at 204 cases per 100k and sits in Tier 3 yet Ealing sits at 205, Enfield at 217, Thurrock at 222, Newham at 226 and Tower Hamlets at 230 are all in Tier 2

Nottinghamshire sits at 228 in Tier 3 which is lower than Tower Hamlets and Bexley who has 236, who are both tier 2

Where I am Warwickshire sits at 207 and Coventry 200.

Its a huge fucking joke

We're so obsessed with Covid that it was sobering to catch a programme on Spanish flu on BBC2 just now.

'The flu that killed 50 million'.

Well worth watching, but not while you're eating as it mixes old film with re-enactments, so you get actors convincingly coughing up blood in full colour as a mutated avian virus destroys their lungs.

And it was the American flu - twice in 1918 an outbreak in a US army camp spread to troops travelling across the Atlantic to fight in the world war. The second wave had mutated into an even nastier form, and the description of the crowded troop ship 'Leviathan' was a vision of hell.

Decks full of dying soldiers, portholes had to be shut and lights out at night, the decks covered with blood coughed up.

Covid isn't quite as nasty, but the wisdom of masks and social distancing is more obvious after watching that. Apparently the 1918 pandemic just burnt itself out in the end after killing up to 100 million. Survivors were immune and the virus mutated again as killing your host isn't a great long-term survival strategy.

We're so obsessed with Covid that it was sobering to catch a programme on Spanish flu on BBC2 just now.

'The flu that killed 50 million'.

Well worth watching, but not while you're eating as it mixes old film with re-enactments, so you get actors convincingly coughing up blood in full colour as a mutated avian virus destroys their lungs.

And it was the American flu - twice in 1918 an outbreak in a US army camp spread to troops travelling across the Atlantic to fight in the world war. The second wave had mutated into an even nastier form, and the description of the crowded troop ship 'Leviathan' was a vision of hell.

Decks full of dying soldiers, portholes had to be shut and lights out at night, the decks covered with blood coughed up.

Covid isn't quite as nasty, but the wisdom of masks and social distancing is more obvious after watching that. Apparently the 1918 pandemic just burnt itself out in the end after killing up to 100 million. Survivors were immune and the virus mutated again as killing your host isn't a great long-term survival strategy.
I think it should actually be called Kentucky Flu, but the Americans were the masters of media management even when the media was in an embryonic age.

I read that it hijacked healthy immune systems so it disproportionately killed healthy young people

I think it should actually be called Kentucky Flu, but the Americans were the masters of media management even when the media was in an embryonic age.

I read that it hijacked healthy immune systems so it disproportionately killed healthy young people
Yes, they compared covid in the last few minutes of the programme and said that 'Spanish' flu also worked by producing a cytokine storm so the immune system itself attacked the lungs. And though children caught it, they usually recovered while healthy young adults died horribly.

They suggested covid is different as it seems to affect people with weak immune systems worse, while that flu virus seemed to feast on healthy immune systems.

It became Spanish flu because Spain was neutral so their press was free to mention this pandemic sweeping across Europe from the trenches. Countries involved in the fighting censored their news to protect morale.

Look at the East Midlands; rank is national.
View attachment 43860
First area of Nottingham is no.74 in the country (Mansfield) at 235/100,000

Nottingham itself is below 200/100,000 and is 121 in the country . Only three districts are above 200

I would think that looking at those graphs without full context - "we" would be hovering around the top 30%? The reasoning for being in the third tier would be due to the comparitive higher rates in the east midlands /Nottinghamshire and that people from surrounding areas would be gravitating towards Nottingham (with its more dense population) to spend time with family, go out for meals and coffee there over the Christmas period ?

Last edited:
We are getting it next month and she was hopeful, that teachers would be next.
That's nice to hear, but literally the first we've heard of it. If our headteacher had had similar indications I would have been told by now.

Our understanding was that teachers could go swing with the rest of the population.

We'll have to see

That's nice to hear, but literally the first we've heard of it. If our headteacher had had similar indications I would have been told by now.

Our understanding was that teachers could go swing with the rest of the population.

We'll have to see
Serious question Pope as i am genuinely interested in the incidence of Covid outside the bubble i am in. How much have you seen amongst staff, support workers and children at your school?

Serious question Pope as i am genuinely interested in the incidence of Covid outside the bubble i am in. How much have you seen amongst staff, support workers and children at your school?
The three weeks before half term, when the universities went back were carnage. The last week before HT we had a staff member testing positive every day and inevitably taking about 4 other staff with them into self isolation. A fair few kids as well, particularly sixth formers.

Since half term? Not a sausage. Not one case among staff or students, except a couple who were already self isolating because family had it.

Loads of kids self isolating because of family or parents, but none this half term for anything in school

We'll have to see

So, assuming the vaccines work, the government is going to tell the population to "go swing" and not bother using them ? This is a serious question, and I don't know what the answer is, but is there any scientific evidence that teachers are at more risk than , say, the average supermarket worker ?

The government hasn't announced anything to anybody yet. The time to start moaning is IF they come up with an unfair system. As you say care workers should be top, then frontline NHS workers. I guess the over 90s will be up there too. I'm sure they know better than I do what the risks are. Some people , like my daughter are deemed high risk, but probably won't be able to have the vaccine anyway, though ironically she's actually already had the illness, and luckily didn't get any symptoms.

So, assuming the vaccines work, the government is going to tell the population to "go swing" and not bother using them ? This is a serious question, and I don't know what the answer is, but is there any scientific evidence that teachers are at more risk than , say, the average supermarket worker ?

The government hasn't announced anything to anybody yet. The time to start moaning is IF they come up with an unfair system. As you say care workers should be top, then frontline NHS workers. I guess the over 90s will be up there too. I'm sure they know better than I do what the risks are. Some people , like my daughter are deemed high risk, but probably won't be able to have the vaccine anyway, though ironically she's actually already had the illness, and luckily didn't get any symptoms.
The government has actually published the priority list and it is very non committal about anyone under 55 getting it outside the care sector and NHS.

So it's not "moaning"; I have read something you haven't

The government has actually published the priority list and it is very non committal about anyone under 55 getting it outside the care sector and NHS.

So it's not "moaning"; I have read something you haven't

Anybody over 50 can have a free flu vaccine. If anyone on here is in that category I strongly suggest the uptake and/or recommend loved ones in this category do.
Mrs Strett is involved in sorting the hubs for the rollout of the Covid one and these cannot be given within 4 weeks of the flu jab.

Falling foul of this would be frustrating to say the least.