#COVID19 | Page 597 | Vital Football

#COVID19

No, no, no.

Level up, not down.

You (or London) being in tier 3 in sympathy with Nottingham would not make my life better by one iota. You sharing my 'misery' would not reduce it either.

I want to be able to go for a bit of dinner with the wife and kids every now and then over Christmas. I want to be able to sit with Mrs Pope and had a coffee, maybe even a slice of cake as we put this rancid year behind us. I could live with tier 3 when shops and hospitality was open with restrictions.

Not being able to do that for an indeterminate about of time (realistically, months) and the genuine concern that it is going to be the final straw for large numbers of businesses really does make me angry. And I also think it is an economic catastrophe in the making that is unnecessary. I would like to imagine that more than 5 minutes was taken deciding Nottingham's fate, but I honestly doubt it was more than a 2 minute paper exercise; 800,000 people consigned to long term social, cultural and economic misery at a cursery glance of a graph

I don't want other areas to suffer the same unnecessarily, I just don't want my area to experience it.

Of course I agree with every word - well said!

What I find completely odd about all this, is that id go as far as to say most people feel this way - certainly that’s the case with those I work with who all have difference circumstances.... and yet where is the media challenge to this?

Rightfully during brexit the media have hounded the government over the economic impact, holding them to account and demanding explanation. That’s how it should be.

Where has that been during this pandemic?? Time and time again the science has been wrong and now we have tiered systems that make no sense, and yet no significant challenge or pressure for the government to deal with? Why!!? It’s infuriating to see those parasites get away with making that 30 second tiered decision in the knowledge that nobody will dare question it.

I’d also add, why on earth are a political party that have a history of caring for the economy over the people being so hard ball in the decision making. They’ve gone from “we cannot allow this to wreck the economy and a second wave would do that”, to a second lockdown and now something just as bad as a second lockdown for over half the country for the foreseeable... have they just given up on the economy? Why would they look to make things worse at a time when it has improved case wise but also NEEDS to for the sake of business.

I just honestly cannot comprehend what’s happening and more infuriating, why it’s being allowed to without scrutiny.

A bunch of Tory MP backbencher are apparently starting a revolt, thank god. Not that it’ll do anything to impact the laws imposed by the dictator Boris Johnson.

That's nice to hear, but literally the first we've heard of it. If our headteacher had had similar indications I would have been told by now.

Our understanding was that teachers could go swing with the rest of the population.

We'll have to see

Just re-read the email, and it does only cover residential schools

The government has actually published the priority list and it is very non committal about anyone under 55 getting it outside the care sector and NHS.

So it's not "moaning"; I have read something you haven't

OK, but I'm over 60 and my sister is over 70, but they certainly haven't written to us to say where we are in the queue, as I guess the queue can't even start till approval. Do you have a link to the list ? Do you think that teachers are higher risk ?

There is always a tendency to think that public sector workers are "key workers", when in reality most of us could survive longer without them than the underrated farmers, lorry drivers, supermarket workers etc

Of course I agree with every word - well said!

What I find completely odd about all this, is that id go as far as to say most people feel this way - certainly that’s the case with those I work with who all have difference circumstances.... and yet where is the media challenge to this?

Rightfully during brexit the media have hounded the government over the economic impact, holding them to account and demanding explanation. That’s how it should be.

Where has that been during this pandemic?? Time and time again the science has been wrong and now we have tiered systems that make no sense, and yet no significant challenge or pressure for the government to deal with? Why!!? It’s infuriating to see those parasites get away with making that 30 second tiered decision in the knowledge that nobody will dare question it.

I’d also add, why on earth are a political party that have a history of caring for the economy over the people being so hard ball in the decision making. They’ve gone from “we cannot allow this to wreck the economy and a second wave would do that”, to a second lockdown and now something just as bad as a second lockdown for over half the country for the foreseeable... have they just given up on the economy? Why would they look to make things worse at a time when it has improved case wise but also NEEDS to for the sake of business.

I just honestly cannot comprehend what’s happening and more infuriating, why it’s being allowed to without scrutiny.

A bunch of Tory MP backbencher are apparently starting a revolt, thank god. Not that it’ll do anything to impact the laws imposed by the dictator Boris Johnson.

You should post like this more often chap

"Personal freedom and economic freedom are indivisible. You can't have one without the other. You can't lose one without losing the other."

OK, but I'm over 60 and my sister is over 70, but they certainly haven't written to us to say where we are in the queue, as I guess the queue can't even start till approval. Do you have a link to the list ? Do you think that teachers are higher risk ?

There is always a tendency to think that public sector workers are "key workers", when in reality most of us could survive longer without them than the underrated farmers, lorry drivers, supermarket workers etc

Is this a joke?

Only needs saying once and let's be clear, a successful healthy society and economy needs both a public and private sector. One does what the other cannot do (well). As measured by life expectancy, income, educational attainment and levels of reported satisfaction, i.e. thats not an opinion

And where would the children go and how would their parents work if the schools were shut?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

Not sure why the dismissal of public sector workers is necessary. You can easily argue that farmers and lorry drivers are underrated without having to be dismissive of PS workers

Last edited:
If Corbyn had effectively campaigned on Brexit...

He didn't however because he's always been dubious of the EU.

Instead he warned of 'A European Empire', 'creating a European military Frankenstein'. He encouraged the people of Ireland to vote against the Lisbon Treaty!

Here is what Farage had to say about him:

"Love this speech by Corbyn on the second Irish referendum. He is a real Eurosceptic. His role will be crucial over the next few weeks."

Is this a joke?

Only needs saying once and let's be clear, a successful healthy society and economy needs both a public and private sector. One does what the other cannot do (well). As measured by life expectancy, income, educational attainment and levels of reported satisfaction, i.e. thats not an opinion

Of course it's not a joke , where have I said that both sectors are not needed ? The reality is that starting today the two things we all need are water and food (assuming air is still going free!) . The other sectors are vital long term, and may have an immediate effect on some people, but I certainly wouldn't die next week if there were no teachers, I've lived over 60 years without needing a fireman, and even the vital nurses and police only come into effect if you need them. With no food supplies most of us (particularly the poor) wouldn't last much more than a week.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

Not sure why the dismissal of public sector workers is necessary. You can easily argue that farmers and lorry drivers are underrated without having to be dismissive of PS workers

So basically it's largely just a list of ages. As you're not happy with where teachers are on the list (not that I can see anywhere where the government has told anyone to "go swing" ) where exactly should the government have put them, should they be a special case, and what do you think is wrong with the list that you are so critical of ?

How the fuck then do you think brexit is a good idea? Loss of freedom of movement is a loss of both personal and economic freedom but ur a fully paid up member?

You are still free to move, why would you think you are not? If you thought Brexit stops you doing this, you clearly didn't know what you were voting for.

A history of his voting on the EU:

https://www.markpack.org.uk/153744/jeremy-corbyn-brexit/

The dude is very much in the same camp as JC21. I just wish he'd been brave enough to put forward his actual position rather than the nonsense we got which along with Cameron screwed Remain.

This comes as no surprise. True left wingers oppose the EU. Corbyn is a true left winger.
What confuses me is the many people who support him, who claim to also be left wingers are rabid-remainers.

Last edited:
The three weeks before half term, when the universities went back were carnage. The last week before HT we had a staff member testing positive every day and inevitably taking about 4 other staff with them into self isolation. A fair few kids as well, particularly sixth formers.

Since half term? Not a sausage. Not one case among staff or students, except a couple who were already self isolating because family had it.

Loads of kids self isolating because of family or parents, but none this half term for anything in school
Thanks for that insight Pope from someone whom i consider to be in the front line of this shit storm, much appreciated. Next question, what has the level of illness been like? You can see where i am going on this i am sure. I am thinking snotty nose at one end, death at the other and everything in between? Anybody been hospitalised that you know of for instance?